AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Mar 12, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #2,701 of 4,614
I just received the AP80 today and although I haven't had too much hands on time with it, a couple things emerged to me right away (good and bad).

Good:
- Sound on it is really great.. I am using it with a pair of IMR R1 iems and the sound is bold, clean and plenty powerful. Reading around about this player the suggestion is that MSEB is pretty much a requirement to make it sing, but I find the output to the R1 to be awesome without it. With tinkering though, can see how it could really allow to dial in the precise sound you wish depending on your IEMs or music you're listening to.
- MSEB provides LOTS of options to dial in the sound.. that is a really really nice feature that makes this player very versatile. EQ may or may not be necessary for most people, but is still nice to have as well.
- UI is simple and works well, not that much lag in my experience so far, though there really shouldn't be anyway since its very lightweight intentionally.
- Haven't had a chance to play consistent music through it, but find that the battery is pretty decent and charges quickly enough
- Unit has just the right weight and is just the right size. Any smaller and it would be a bit too smaller, though it wouldn't hurt too bad if it were a bit bigger either.
- buttons feel good, and fortunately mine doesn't have a loose volume wheel or anything
- even when turned up I haven't heard the slightest bit of noise - I am playing 16bit/44.1 Flac - will try with higher rate tracks before long, but so far so good here.
- the value based on its MSRP is undeniable. It gives a lot for price of entry and as someone who was just using IEMs with a phone as a source since forever, the upgrade in sound is staggering.

Bad:
- Buggy firmware is the biggest drawback with this unit without a doubt. Had to roll it back to 1.0 before it would scan and find more than 6 tracks no matter what I did. Tried with different SD cards, tried different files, using cable, using card reader.. made no difference. Only got past it once I placed more than 6 tracks using 1.0 and then updated to 1.0.1.. now its fine.
- Artwork doesn't display correctly - I took a folder of 50 .flac, ensured that all tracks have artwork and that artwork displays in any player on my PC (WMP, Foobar) - uploaded to the player, and whether 1.0 or 1.0.1, most tracks don't display the artwork, meanwhile the rest do. Not sure what to make of this honestly.
- Lack of any real documentation or description of what the firmware updates actually do is obviously concerning.
- Support has notably been a concern in this thread and elsewhere on the net, so the general sentiment around this device it to proceed with caution and know that if you run into issues, you are likely on your own.

Other thoughts:
I've read quite a bit about build quality and support on this device - maybe I'm just optimistic, but Im not getting the vibe that this device will just up and brick itself after a month. It seems well built though obviously anything can happen. I suppose if one is rough with it it could be susceptible to damage like any other device, but my initial impression is not one of this device being fragile in any way.

The Screen is passable. Not amazing by any stretch, but definitely good enough. At times the touch can be a bit unresponsive, though mostly its good.

I also wanted to mention the soundstage, which I find to be one of the biggest changes coming from using a phone as a source - the soundstage and imaging is exceptional in comparison.. not even close. It certainly feels like a premium music player.

For those who believe burn in is real (even on DAPs) I will certainly be listening to see how the characteristics change over time. So far though right out of box, I'm pretty impressed what this little dude is capable of.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #2,702 of 4,614
Yes, this little DAP has come in for a fair amount of criticism, most of it out of proportion. It's a miniature marvel really with quite stellar performance and functionality, especially for the size and price. I've had a couple of weeks now to get to know it well, qualify my expectations, and come to appreciate it's strengths more. You're right that the MSEB is amongst it's best features. You can really get any decent set of headphones to shine with this; if needed, extend the bass, add sparkle and air, or bring the vocals into focus, and the results can be very musically pleasing. There's a list somewhere on this forum of improvements people would like to see Hibizs implement, and they should absolutely listen to their customers' needs. Personally, I can live with the minor user interface quirks and dysfunctions, as it performs, on the whole, remarkably well, and excels at it's core function of sounding very good indeed. The one major fault, for me anyway, is the totally broken and unforgivably noisy DSD functionality. A lot of effort has gone into the sound quality of this thing so they obviously knew this was broken but cut corners and released it as is anyway. DSD is advertised as one of it's main features and it needs fixing ASAP Hidizs!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #2,705 of 4,614
Sad to say I was on this hype train from the jump, and I'm rather disappointed with scanning issues.

Have you tried to roll back to the original firmware? 1.0 scans fine for me, where 1.0.1 does not.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #2,709 of 4,614
Thanks for all your help with getting the cover art to show up. I will try the recommendations. Thanks again.

Just as I've not seen it mentioned before, I really like musicbrainz Picard to organise my flac collection.

Additionally it will populate and embed the album art, so it appears on the ap80s as well.

If you additionally take the time time to configure it with the last.fm plugin, your albums can be sorted into genres also.

However, note these genres don't map across to the genres in the ap80s browser. I may investigate how to do this of people are interested.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #2,710 of 4,614
Just as I've not seen it mentioned before, I really like musicbrainz Picard to organise my flac collection.

Additionally it will populate and embed the album art, so it appears on the ap80s as well.

If you additionally take the time time to configure it with the last.fm plugin, your albums can be sorted into genres also.

However, note these genres don't map across to the genres in the ap80s browser. I may investigate how to do this of people are interested.
Thanks.

Mar 14, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #2,713 of 4,614
As much as I enjoy my AP80 and I do, especially with the seeds. I'm considering getting rid of it and getting something that's more of a 'complete' experience. I had intended to try out DSD but since on all reports it is "noisy" I haven't even bothered. This doesn't seem as if it will be rectified yet soon either. Unless I've missed an update or something, which I don't believe to be the case.

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #2,714 of 4,614
As much as I enjoy my AP80 and I do, especially with the seeds. I'm considering getting rid of it and getting something that's more of a 'complete' experience. I had intended to try out DSD but since on all reports it is "noisy" I haven't even bothered. This doesn't seem as if it will be rectified yet soon either. Unless I've missed an update or something, which I don't believe to be the case.

The DSD situation is a joke. It's supposed to be a pristine sounding "Hi-Res" format. On the AP80 it sounds like an 8-bit mp3

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #2,715 of 4,614
So, something of interest. I normally format my cards, using FAT32, via EaseUS Partition, as I also use cards in a Zishan DSD which can't cope with exFAT filesysystems.

Today, I formatted the card in exFat, and dumped 16GiB of FLACs onto it.

Scanning, took a long long time. I'd be curious if anyone who is having scanning issues has better results via a fat32 formatted card. Perhaps the lower level file operations are easier in FAT32 than they are in exFAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back