AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,356 of 4,614
Magic Mac problem? I'm at the end of my troubleshooting list. Maybe someday the actual manufacturer might chime in. Hahahahahaha

So I booted up a Windows XP VM and installed a ex-fat driver and lo and behold... the directory is there... put in a playlist and the AP80 is able to load it! This is so weird because macOS still can't see the directory, not even when I look for hidden files. Wonder what's going on here... In any case, at least it's working now, just need to boot up windows every time i want to update my playlists I guess.

Dec 30, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #2,357 of 4,614
The Volume is variable and so is the gain. Question, why would you want it fixed?

hi,

tried the AP80 as a dac on my MacBook Pro. Works flawless.

And also as a transport for the Mojo.
The Mojo was connected with the supplied short OTG cable to the AP80 in USB "Audio" mode.

Everything works fine there too.
To my surprise the volume control of the AP80 has no effect.
The volume is only controlled by the Mojo (as it should be).

To answer your question,
I hoped the digital-out would be fixed because I hoped the digital stream would bypass the dac section.
(I suppose the gain should either be applied in or after the dac section. Not knowing the AP80s layout).

Dec 31, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #2,358 of 4,614
Is the hardware (faulty buttons/scroll wheel) lottery issue that bad? I'm bothered by the amount of units with faulty hardware. Contemplating on selling the unit when it arrives and buy an M6 instead. Though, I would much prefer the AP80 over the M6 without the hardware issues.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #2,359 of 4,614
I had no problem with mine, but I have little trust in the volume control wheel durability, it seems really fragile. Still, sound quality-price ratio is excellent.
But sad, because I still have a stainless steel AP200 that's built like a tank (except for the screen of course). It just lacks a finalised firmware :confounded:
It really makes me wonder : do they plan to design (slightly flawed/unfinished) products to go on with selling new iterations every few months ?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #2,360 of 4,614
QC is really bad, some got doa AP80, one mentioned at ks that the back fall off, loose wheels, faulty buttons, ... and then you should pay p&p back to Hidizs.

They ignore my last mail for over 2 weeks now, no reply, no tracking no., nothing. So I called my cc company and started a charge back, hopefully I will get my money back.

This company is a bad joke.

Dec 31, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #2,363 of 4,614
Wondering what you are using to tag your music files (under linux)?

Tried easytag: APE tagging does not seem to work (at least for images, the tag gets lost), failed to reset the date tag of MP3 files when it's in the yyyy-mm-dd format, and no support for DSD files...

Is there a better solution under linux (or even under win as dual boot)?

Dec 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #2,364 of 4,614
Wondering what you are using to tag your music files (under linux)?

Tried easytag: APE tagging does not seem to work (at least for images, the tag gets lost), failed to reset the date tag of MP3 files when it's in the yyyy-mm-dd format, and no support for DSD files...

Is there a better solution under linux (or even under win as dual boot)?

Try MP3 Tag

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #2,365 of 4,614
Damn, this makes me sad. I really wanted this as my DAP. But seeing all these complaints about faulty hardware, I've decided I won't risk it. I'll sell it unopened and buy an M6 instead.

Thank you Hidizs for wasting my time and money. This will be my last Hidizs product.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #2,368 of 4,614
I'm really enjoying mine, MSEB and soundfield are fun features to muck around with, and it sounds great. The build quality on mine also seems really nice. I've used both the leather and silicone case. Battery life is good.

No major problems, when I play a 5 hour AAC 126kbps it takes about 20 seconds to load. Thats all the bad I can think of though. Very satisfied.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,370 of 4,614
Since I have the wobbly wheel, is anyone on this thread been in the same situation and tried to return their device? Any results? I am just trying to think ahead in case this whole thing goes bad. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back