AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 5, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #1,831 of 4,614
... the knob would both the hell out of me... Fingers crossed this is not a common issue and one that is easily resolved for those who do have that problem.

As for backers... Anyone else out there from Canada?

I haven't heard a peep. I'm a late backers so would not be surprised if mine too a little longer...

@kenloveme - any love for Canada yet?

Thanks!

I’m from the US which supposedly had the units there over a week ago and I’ve heard nothing either. The shipping seems random and haphazard.

Glad some peeps got them though.

Dec 5, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #1,832 of 4,614
Just got mine too but have a major concern...

Folks who has their ap80 in hand do me a favor and try something:

Hold it in your palm and clutch it like you would dice > shake the device in your hand lightly like you would a pair of dice > do you feel something moving? Like a part that isn't screwed down in place or something?

Mine is definitely shifting weight when I move it like that or even moving from my pocket to eye level

Other than that, red looks sexy as hell. Probably going to ask for a replacement though @kenloveme because this seems defective

Also the scroll wheel is totally loose if you wiggle it ever so slightly
Nothing rattles on my unit. The knob on my red AP80 doesn't wiggle, either. Looks like Hidizs had sent you one of their red AP80's that didn't passed their quality assurance tests (as reported on an email from Hidizs some people received).

6BUDxRD.jpg

Sharing this as a warning to those who received their AP80, be careful with the wheel! After a day of use, the wheel came off from the thread while I was adjusting the volume. I was surprised and disappointed that this is the mechanism/assembly for the wheel that they used. Apparently, they used a tiny bit of glue instead of threadlocker solution(eg. loctite red/blue) to secure the wheel to the thread.
Such a shame that this was overlooked on their QC. And they just used glue? Cutting corners on production costs unnecessarily, perhaps lol. Here's hoping that the red and black AP80's doesn't have the same issue.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #1,833 of 4,614
Of course, you can still adjust the volume via the UI.
Did you notice that the OP asked if you can access the (full screen) volume adjustment WITHOUT TOUCHING THE KNOB first ? We understood that you can access this volume menu with the knob, and then adjusting on screen. The question is about accessing the UI first without knob.

Dec 5, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #1,834 of 4,614
Nothing rattles on my unit. The knob on my red AP80 doesn't wiggle, either. Looks like Hidizs had sent you one of their red AP80's that didn't passed their quality assurance tests (as reported on an email from Hidizs some people received).

Such a shame that this was overlooked on their QC. And they just used glue? Cutting corners on production costs unnecessarily, perhaps lol. Here's hoping that the red and black AP80's doesn't have the same issue.
What a pity, as they decided to change the knob during the campaign, IIRC.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,835 of 4,614
Did you notice that the OP asked if you can access the (full screen) volume adjustment WITHOUT TOUCHING THE KNOB first ? We understood that you can access this volume menu with the knob, and then adjusting on screen. The question is about accessing the UI first without knob.
We we’re talking about turning the wheel. To get to the UI, you’ll still need to press the knob. That’s the only button to wake the screen.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #1,836 of 4,614
What a pity, as they decided to change the knob during the campaign, IIRC.

That's a big concern considering pulling it by the extended knob is really the only effective way to remove it from that very tight case fit! Not a good sign....

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #1,838 of 4,614
I’m from the US which supposedly had the units there over a week ago and I’ve heard nothing either. The shipping seems random and haphazard.

Glad some peeps got them though.
Same here - from the US and so far... crickets!
No package, no e-mail, no SMS, no clue when (or if) it would show up.
I am in no rush, to be honest, just want to know it would eventually show up!

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #1,841 of 4,614

Well that’s why it would be nice to have a tracking #. Say for some unknown reason it doesn’t show up. You wouldn’t know when or where it was shipped from and where it was lost- or even if it was shipped.

Then you’d have to take it up with Hidizs, and well good luck lol on that.

I mean I’m pretty sure we WILL get ours, hopefully soon... But my express shipping was definitely a waste of cash in my case.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,842 of 4,614
With LDAC support...
It's definitely unlikely to have LDAC support ATM, since right now the AP80's that are sent to backers and (most likely) the ones that are sold in AliEx are on firmware version 1.0, in which there's still no LDAC support.

But my express shipping was definitely a waste of cash in my case.
So, the chances of your AP80 being shipped in express shipping right now is very slim? That's disappointing. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,843 of 4,614
With regards to bluetooth:

1. If you connect a bluetooth earphone to the AP80 that supports AptX, you see an A beside the bluetooth logo.
2. If you stream audio to the AP80 from a smartphone, it will default to SBC, even if your smartphone supports AptX or LDAC. There's no way to override even if Developer Options are open.

The device feels sturdy onhand. But that knob wiggles in its mount when to hit it with your thumb. It's not as "fixed" in its axle like you would feel in most amplifier knobs. So seeing someone post a photo of the knob falling off gets me worried. There's no way to screw that back on tight without opening the device itself and screwing it back on to the axle piece.

It's definitely unlikely to have LDAC support ATM, since right now the AP80's that are sent to backers and (most likely) the ones that are sold in AliEx are on firmware version 1.0, in which there's still no LDAC support.

I can definitely confirm this. Even when paired to a Sony 1000XM2, it only triggers AptX. Bluetooth settings have a toggle for "High Quality" so you get an "A" beside the bluetooth icon up top but that's as far as it goes with controlling what codec you can use.

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,844 of 4,614
With regards to bluetooth:

1. If you connect a bluetooth earphone to the AP80 that supports AptX, you see an A beside the bluetooth logo.
2. If you stream audio to the AP80 from a smartphone, it will default to SBC, even if your smartphone supports AptX or LDAC. There's no way to override even if Developer Options are open.

What the heck? There is no way to stream from a smartphone even Apt-X?

Dec 5, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,845 of 4,614

Funny thing is after i got my AP80, the very next day I got an email stating my AP80 was shipped. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back