AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Aug 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #496 of 4,614
Okay, got mine

Please note that those are first impressions and they might / may change in the final review :)

- The whole device looks nice
- Package is HIDIZS Style, simplistic, but gets you on your feet for the price. Screen protector included
- Volume wheel is a nice touch. Wiggles a bit, but for price I couldn't ask for better
- Clean overall sound, lots of power
- If you were thinking of adding DH1000, I wouldn't bother.
- Not much hiss as far as I can tell
- Display is nice and bright, bright enough to get you through using it in full daylight in Romania
- Sound has a nice width for the price
- At this moment I can't compare with neither R3 nor Shanling M0, they are both going to arrive to me later on, but for the price asked, AP80 makes one heck of a deal on an overall level.
- Batterry seems to last enough for the size and price
- stuff works alright.
- It has FM Radio which works well
- Sonic detail and clarity is better than my smartphone, and this one does not distort at loud volumes, so I'm pretty happy
- Software is a solid Hiby music spinoff, works flawlessly as far as I can tell.
- Touch screen is big enough for the device, I can navigate it happily
- On the build level, you can press on the display a lot and it won't distort, so it is made to resist some wear. This is extremely important as I expect some people will be placing this one in pockets or at the bottom of a bag, or it may sink at the bottom of your bag , so being rather resistant is pretty important
- Comes with a screen protector on front, and back, has a spare in the box
- What more can you ask at this price? :)

I'm really glad to see HIDIZS getting better and better on the firmware nowadays, this really works well for me. I mean, it is hiby who did it well, but still, happy it is done well :)

Awesome first impressions!

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #497 of 4,614
Okay, got mine

Please note that those are first impressions and they might / may change in the final review :)

- The whole device looks nice
- Package is HIDIZS Style, simplistic, but gets you on your feet for the price. Screen protector included
- Volume wheel is a nice touch. Wiggles a bit, but for price I couldn't ask for better
- Clean overall sound, lots of power
- If you were thinking of adding DH1000, I wouldn't bother.
- Not much hiss as far as I can tell
- Display is nice and bright, bright enough to get you through using it in full daylight in Romania
- Sound has a nice width for the price
- At this moment I can't compare with neither R3 nor Shanling M0, they are both going to arrive to me later on, but for the price asked, AP80 makes one heck of a deal on an overall level.
- Batterry seems to last enough for the size and price
- stuff works alright.
- It has FM Radio which works well
- Sonic detail and clarity is better than my smartphone, and this one does not distort at loud volumes, so I'm pretty happy
- Software is a solid Hiby music spinoff, works flawlessly as far as I can tell.
- Touch screen is big enough for the device, I can navigate it happily
- On the build level, you can press on the display a lot and it won't distort, so it is made to resist some wear. This is extremely important as I expect some people will be placing this one in pockets or at the bottom of a bag, or it may sink at the bottom of your bag , so being rather resistant is pretty important
- Comes with a screen protector on front, and back, has a spare in the box
- What more can you ask at this price? :)

I'm really glad to see HIDIZS getting better and better on the firmware nowadays, this really works well for me. I mean, it is hiby who did it well, but still, happy it is done well :)

Thank your sir :) hey any chance of a couple of pics? and I can’t wait to hear your comparisons with M0 and R3 both of which I’m familiar with.

Aug 28, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #498 of 4,614
New to the club: You're backer 1342

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #500 of 4,614
Thank your sir :) hey any chance of a couple of pics? and I can’t wait to hear your comparisons with M0 and R3 both of which I’m familiar with.

Sure :)

Sorry, I forgot to do this a few times in my recent first impressions, because it takes some time to develop my photos lately :)

DltuAnkXcAATBkH.jpg:large

Awesome first impressions!

Thank you for your kind words!! :)

Just picked up an open box IE80 for $116, :O

Wonder how it will play along with the AP80.. any reviewers who have both care to comment? :wink:

I have both actualy. I think it works nicely. Since it is not overly smooth nor overly warm, it doesn't make them any thicker, and sicne they were quite thick, this is for the best. You can also use the EQ within AP80 to give them a tad more treble, which they usually need

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #501 of 4,614
I have both actualy. I think it works nicely. Since it is not overly smooth nor overly warm, it doesn't make them any thicker, and sicne they were quite thick, this is for the best. You can also use the EQ within AP80 to give them a tad more treble, which they usually need
Hmm, interesting insight thank you. I have read a lot of IE80 reviews today and they all say they are very bass heavy, almost muddied, is there any truth in that?

AP80 looks like a babe, nice snap! Does it have a decent weight to it? I like portability as much as the next guy, but I like little heft to my devices.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #502 of 4,614
Sure :)

Sorry, I forgot to do this a few times in my recent first impressions, because it takes some time to develop my photos lately :)

DltuAnkXcAATBkH.jpg:large

Thank you for your kind words!! :)

Thanks George! That’s a nice looking little dap there. :wink: I actually like the red accent on the volume knob, reminds me of AK and Fiio.

Oh and you said the knob wiggles a bit, how do the hardware buttons feel?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #503 of 4,614
Hmm, interesting insight thank you. I have read a lot of IE80 reviews today and they all say they are very bass heavy, almost muddied, is there any truth in that?

AP80 looks like a babe, nice snap! Does it have a decent weight to it? I like portability as much as the next guy, but I like little heft to my devices.

The IE80 is bassy to the point of being slightly veiled, it is true. I substract some 100Hz bass and add some 16kHz treble to them to balance out their really bassy nature :)

Also, it has a few grams of weight, doesn't feel cheap or plastic.

Thanks George! That’s a nice looking little dap there. :wink: I actually like the red accent on the volume knob, reminds me of AK and Fiio.

All hardware buttons feel solid as a rock, but you will eventually end up using them less than the wheel. I don't think that the wiggle is that bad, but the wheel is a pres - and - turn type, it isn't meant just to be turned, so that may be why it wiggles a bit. Also, my unit is an early review unit, so the final units may not have this at all :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #504 of 4,614

My AP80 review sample volume knob is on a tighter side, no wobbling here. Actually, requires two fingers to turn it, maybe it will loosen up. Just keep in mind, this is probably a pre-production sample from an early batch all reviewers are receiving now for evaluation. I would have loved the knob to be a little bigger/taller for a better grip (it's rather small and shallow as it is), or maybe looser so I can turn it with a thumb. The good thing, once you start turning, you get on-screen volume touch slider for a quicker adjustment that works quite well.

I know, people want to see glamour shots :wink:, but here is a relative comparison of my thumb next to the wheel (btw, I have average size fingers).

ap80-x01.jpg

Will give it a few days of burn in before I share my initial sound impressions and comparison to M0/M1/N3. Plus, have to update to 0.08beta fw since I heard it already introduced some improvements.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #506 of 4,614
My AP80 review sample volume knob is on a tighter side, no wobbling here. Actually, requires two fingers to turn it, maybe it will loosen up. Just keep in mind, this is probably a pre-production sample from an early batch all reviewers are receiving now for evaluation. I would have loved the knob to be a little bigger/taller for a better grip (it's rather small and shallow as it is), or maybe looser so I can turn it with a thumb. The good thing, once you start turning, you get on-screen volume touch slider for a quicker adjustment that works quite well.

I know, people want to see glamour shots :wink:, but here is a relative comparison of my thumb next to the wheel (btw, I have average size fingers).

Will give it a few days of burn in before I share my initial sound impressions and comparison to M0/M1/N3. Plus, have to update to 0.08beta fw since I heard it already introduced some improvements.

From that pic, the knob looks as small as the M0’s well maybe a tiny bit bigger. But my M0’s knob is fairly easy to turn with just my thumb. Maybe it will loosen up some like you said.

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #507 of 4,614
From that pic, the knob looks as small as the M0’s well maybe a tiny bit bigger. But my M0’s knob is fairly easy to turn with just my thumb. Maybe it will loosen up some like you said.

I can't say for sure if it will loosen up or if it's intended to work like that by design. But AP80 and M0 have a different design approach around the volume wheel, even so it's nearly the same diameter and also functions as a push button in both cases. As you can see from the close ups I just took, AP80 has a guard ramp at the top/bottom, so you only have access from the front and the back. Perhaps they want to be sure there is no accidental turns while in your pocket, just guessing. M0 has the wheel all out in the open, designed to be turned with a thumb and having a more textured grip surface. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Btw, I put a kitchen knife under M0 so it's on the same level in pictures below.

ap80-x02.jpg ap80-x03.jpg ap80-x04.jpg

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #508 of 4,614
I can't say for sure if it will loosen up or if it's intended to work like that by design. But AP80 and M0 have a different design approach around the volume wheel, even so it's nearly the same diameter and also functions as a push button in both cases. As you can see from the close ups I just took, AP80 has a guard ramp at the top/bottom, so you only have access from the front and the back. Perhaps they want to be sure there is no accidental turns while in your pocket, just guessing. M0 has the wheel all out in the open, designed to be turned with a thumb and having a more textured grip surface. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Btw, I put a kitchen knife under M0 so it's on the same level in pictures below.

Ahhh thanks for the detailed pics, yes it kind of looks like a tiny ak 70 knob. Probably a good idea to have the wheel recessed a bit.

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #509 of 4,614

Love your pictures, and I JUST ordered a red M0, looks so good :heart_eyes:

Aug 28, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #510 of 4,614
Love your pictures, and I JUST ordered a red M0, looks so good :heart_eyes:

Hopefully you ordered it not just because of a pretty color, but actually based on some comparison and features where you prefer one vs the other :wink: Unless if you're already AP80 backer and ordered M0 in addition to it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back