1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by IryxBRO, Apr 24, 2018.
First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last
  1. xuyiguanyinsi
    Awesome first impressions!

Dobrescu George likes this.
  2. abitdeef

Thank your sir :) hey any chance of a couple of pics? and I can’t wait to hear your comparisons with M0 and R3 both of which I’m familiar with.

3. deewy
    New to the club: You're backer 1342

kenloveme and abitdeef like this.
  4. Luhar
    Just picked up an open box IE80 for $116, :O

Wonder how it will play along with the AP80.. any reviewers who have both care to comment? :wink:

Dobrescu George and TheRH like this.
  5. Dobrescu George
    Sure :)

Sorry, I forgot to do this a few times in my recent first impressions, because it takes some time to develop my photos lately :)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your kind words!! :)

I have both actualy. I think it works nicely. Since it is not overly smooth nor overly warm, it doesn't make them any thicker, and sicne they were quite thick, this is for the best. You can also use the EQ within AP80 to give them a tad more treble, which they usually need

nickv, abitdeef and Luhar like this.
  6. Luhar
    Hmm, interesting insight thank you. I have read a lot of IE80 reviews today and they all say they are very bass heavy, almost muddied, is there any truth in that?

AP80 looks like a babe, nice snap! Does it have a decent weight to it? I like portability as much as the next guy, but I like little heft to my devices.

7. abitdeef

Thanks George! That’s a nice looking little dap there. :wink: I actually like the red accent on the volume knob, reminds me of AK and Fiio.

Oh and you said the knob wiggles a bit, how do the hardware buttons feel?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  8. Dobrescu George
    The IE80 is bassy to the point of being slightly veiled, it is true. I substract some 100Hz bass and add some 16kHz treble to them to balance out their really bassy nature :)

Also, it has a few grams of weight, doesn't feel cheap or plastic.

All hardware buttons feel solid as a rock, but you will eventually end up using them less than the wheel. I don't think that the wiggle is that bad, but the wheel is a pres - and - turn type, it isn't meant just to be turned, so that may be why it wiggles a bit. Also, my unit is an early review unit, so the final units may not have this at all :)

abitdeef and Luhar like this.
  9. twister6 Contributor
    My AP80 review sample volume knob is on a tighter side, no wobbling here. Actually, requires two fingers to turn it, maybe it will loosen up. Just keep in mind, this is probably a pre-production sample from an early batch all reviewers are receiving now for evaluation. I would have loved the knob to be a little bigger/taller for a better grip (it's rather small and shallow as it is), or maybe looser so I can turn it with a thumb. The good thing, once you start turning, you get on-screen volume touch slider for a quicker adjustment that works quite well.

I know, people want to see glamour shots :wink:, but here is a relative comparison of my thumb next to the wheel (btw, I have average size fingers).

ap80-x01.jpg

Will give it a few days of burn in before I share my initial sound impressions and comparison to M0/M1/N3. Plus, have to update to 0.08beta fw since I heard it already introduced some improvements.

abitdeef likes this.
  10. Dobrescu George
    I agree with @twister6 , you need two fingers to rotate it. What I mean by wobble is vertical. At least on this pre-production unit :)

Also, the thing with the volume appearing on the screen is a life saver, absolutely lovely trick :)

abitdeef likes this.
  11. abitdeef

From that pic, the knob looks as small as the M0’s well maybe a tiny bit bigger. But my M0’s knob is fairly easy to turn with just my thumb. Maybe it will loosen up some like you said.

12. twister6 Contributor
    I can't say for sure if it will loosen up or if it's intended to work like that by design. But AP80 and M0 have a different design approach around the volume wheel, even so it's nearly the same diameter and also functions as a push button in both cases. As you can see from the close ups I just took, AP80 has a guard ramp at the top/bottom, so you only have access from the front and the back. Perhaps they want to be sure there is no accidental turns while in your pocket, just guessing. M0 has the wheel all out in the open, designed to be turned with a thumb and having a more textured grip surface. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Btw, I put a kitchen knife under M0 so it's on the same level in pictures below.

ap80-x02.jpg ap80-x03.jpg ap80-x04.jpg

trellus, TheRH, Luhar and 1 other person like this.
  13. abitdeef

Ahhh thanks for the detailed pics, yes it kind of looks like a tiny ak 70 knob. Probably a good idea to have the wheel recessed a bit.

14. Luhar
    Love your pictures, and I JUST ordered a red M0, looks so good :heart_eyes:

15. twister6 Contributor
    Hopefully you ordered it not just because of a pretty color, but actually based on some comparison and features where you prefer one vs the other :wink: Unless if you're already AP80 backer and ordered M0 in addition to it :D

First

Back
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Next

Last