AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Feb 9, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #3,676 of 4,614
Can you pls give a detailed comparison sound wise.

ap80 has a neutral sound. maybe slightly bright. all the reviews say the sound quality is very good.

when i first heard mine it seemed slightly better then my laptop which also has a high res sound chip in it

also i have some 24 96 vinyl rips that sound really rich compared to mp3's. like a denser sound.

Feb 9, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #3,677 of 4,614
the only reason that would be needed is if the only thing you are using it for is for falling asleep. and never during the day

that would be a waste of an ap80 lol

better to just set it on each night before bed

Right. But I often wake up in the middle of the night, and in my slumber I want to simply press a button to get the DAP going again, and to also have it go into sleep mode again. In fact, sometimes I do that multiple times a night. Hence why I would like the option to have the sleep timer reset itself automatically. Btw, that can be done with rockbox, so if the AP80 could be rockboxed, I'd be set.

Edit: during the day, I would probably just turn the sleep timer off.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #3,678 of 4,614
ap80 has a neutral sound. maybe slightly bright. all the reviews say the sound quality is very good.

when i first heard mine it seemed slightly better then my laptop which also has a high res sound chip in it

also i have some 24 96 vinyl rips that sound really rich compared to mp3's. like a denser sound.
Ok great, Thank you and the rest of the members here. I'll get mine now. Have been using an iPod classic for over 10years so this is my first HiFi dap. I have an Ibasso DC02 USB dac connected to my laptop as my current source with a decent collection of flac albums. Extreme Metal,Rock,World,Jazz,Ambient is my preferred music. Can't wait for the AP80 to reach my hands.

Feb 10, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #3,679 of 4,614
Ok great, Thank you and the rest of the members here. I'll get mine now. Have been using an iPod classic for over 10years so this is my first HiFi dap. I have an Ibasso DC02 USB dac connected to my laptop as my current source with a decent collection of flac albums. Extreme Metal,Rock,World,Jazz,Ambient is my preferred music. Can't wait for the AP80 to reach my hands.

i like electronic the best, which makes up half of my entire music library. electronic chillout, techno, trap, synth. second favorite is metal.

here is some tips you can use for ap80
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ap8...es-music-player.878141/page-221#post-15250661

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,680 of 4,614
@Hexabuzz: I don’t know much about the iFi Nano, but I’m using iFi micro iDSD, which I assume behaves the same. Quoting myself from an old post:
- I’m using AP80 on its own but also as a transport, paired with iFi micro iDSD. The (USB C) output volume is not fixed, which means I have to turn it to the max on AP80 (or at least to a fairly high level). Since the line output can be fixed, it would be cool if the USB C volume was too.
- iDSD must be turned on BEFORE connecting the AP80 (and AP80 must be switched off before disconnecting iDSD), otherwise the AP80 crashes. Crash resets time and date. Actually, this might be a problem with iDSD, as when turned off it "sees" whatever is connected via USB as a source of power, so maybe it drains current from AP80, which causes crash.

Feb 10, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #3,681 of 4,614
I didn't read all 245 pages of this thread, and search hasn't helped. Is there a solution to the 20000 file limit in the firmware? Any word on a rockbox port?

There doesn't seem to be any activity toward a RockBox port, and the database file limit is unlikely to change. Hidizs and Hiby have said the SoC in the AP80 will not give acceptable performance on a database much larger than it currently allows. The only alternative is file-browser mode, but if you prefer the tag-focused navigation of the database, you're out of luck with more than 20,000 tracks. It's somewhat ironic that the Chi-Fi makers often tout how large of a storage card they can handle, while neglecting to emphasize how limited that might be if you don't fill it with all lossless tracks.

Feb 10, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #3,683 of 4,614
@Hexabuzz: I don’t know much about the iFi Nano, but I’m using iFi micro iDSD, which I assume behaves the same. Quoting myself from an old post:
- I’m using AP80 on its own but also as a transport, paired with iFi micro iDSD. The (USB C) output volume is not fixed, which means I have to turn it to the max on AP80 (or at least to a fairly high level). Since the line output can be fixed, it would be cool if the USB C volume was too.
- iDSD must be turned on BEFORE connecting the AP80 (and AP80 must be switched off before disconnecting iDSD), otherwise the AP80 crashes. Crash resets time and date. Actually, this might be a problem with iDSD, as when turned off it "sees" whatever is connected via USB as a source of power, so maybe it drains current from AP80, which causes crash.
thanks for the info!

Feb 12, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,685 of 4,614
Where in AP80 can I check to see how many songs are in the SD card

there is a spot that shows total space used and remaining

i dont think there is a spot for total files

you can right click your folder in windows and go properties. sometimes window might count hidden files, you can go to folder properties and go show hidden files, and delete them all first.

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #3,686 of 4,614
there is a spot that shows total space used and remaining

i dont think there is a spot for total files

you can right click your folder in windows and go properties. sometimes window might count hidden files, you can go to folder properties and go show hidden files, and delete them all first.
I meant in AP80 is there way to see how many songs I have

Feb 12, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #3,690 of 4,614
There doesn't seem to be any activity toward a RockBox port, and the database file limit is unlikely to change. Hidizs and Hiby have said the SoC in the AP80 will not give acceptable performance on a database much larger than it currently allows. The only alternative is file-browser mode, but if you prefer the tag-focused navigation of the database, you're out of luck with more than 20,000 tracks. It's somewhat ironic that the Chi-Fi makers often tout how large of a storage card they can handle, while neglecting to emphasize how limited that might be if you don't fill it with all lossless tracks.

That's too bad. I use the file browser mode, which is fine since I always listen to full albums anyway, but it's not quite as immediate as browsing an indexed collection with album art. Oh well. First-world problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back