AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player
Dec 18, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,191 of 4,614
Does anyone have problem with the leather case and the physical buttons? The leather case is so thick I can't press the buttons unless I use my pinky finger nail. That's annoying for outdoor use with gloves on in winter.
IMG_20181218_142224.jpg

Dec 18, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,193 of 4,614
Does anyone have problem with the leather case and the physical buttons? The leather case is so thick I can't press the buttons unless I use my pinky finger nail. That's annoying for outdoor use with gloves on in winter.

Yep. The buttons are inset too far when using the leather case. Since I use it with Bluetooth headphones and speakers that use the AVRCP, it's less of an issue, but if I had to control it directly I'd be annoyed every day.

Dec 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #2,194 of 4,614
The case has got its’ limitations, for sure. I don’t think you’ll be able to do anything with it with gloves on. You might have to use a pair of IEMs with an in-line remote. It works if you toggle on the switch in the settings. Play, pause, skip forward, skip backwards.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #2,195 of 4,614
I've ditched the leather case altogether, actually. Enjoying the feel of the aluminum unibody. Just need to be extra careful with potential dings.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #2,197 of 4,614
Nice to see the comments from all of you who have received their AP80's; And I don't want to turn this into a "I have not yet received mine yet" thread...

BUT, So that @kenloveme can see that many of us have Not Yet Receved their AP80 from the Kickstarter; Please "LIKE" this Post. IF you have NOT received your AP80 .
Nice try. But when @kenloveme will see this message, I think that he'll runaway for good this time.
There so many backers here and on Kickstarter waiting for Hidizs to respond. But nothing.
They may have shipped out the ap80 to "most" of the backers, but they still lack communication.
Just hope we don't wait years for bug fixes and software improvement.

Dec 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,198 of 4,614
Nice try. But when @kenloveme will see this message, I think that he'll runaway for good this time.
There so many backers here and on Kickstarter waiting for Hidizs to respond. But nothing.
They may have shipped out the ap80 to "most" of the backers, but they still lack communication.
Just hope we don't wait years for bug fixes and software improvement.

Yes, just trying to find a way to get Ken's/HIDIZS's attention. I mean as little as 51% of the AP80 out of their door meets their criteria for "most" of the AP80's being "shipped".....
- I was hoping that Ken might just improve HIDIZS's customer service. But does not look like either Customer Service or Communication are a Core Competency at HIDIZS.

Dec 18, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #2,199 of 4,614
Let’s face it, their communication and customer service SUCK. No sugarcoating it, and by the way they’ve treated past releases and firmware updates this is just par for the course.

It really seems once they have your $$ they don’t give a crap. Too bad, because the hardware is pretty nice for the $. I mean it sounds good and works ok, but without future support it’s just average. Firmware to smooth out the experience and podcasting, better database support and LDAC would make this little thing go from good to excellent.

I have a hard time hitting the artist button- and the play/pause button on screen. More than I’ve ever had with any touchscreen device. I’m assuming the hit boxes are off with the on screen symbols positioning.

I hope features and these problems will be addressed in the future, but really all I’ve seen is a lot of lip service.

Go to the Shanling, Fiio, AK threads and you will see much better support (not too hard to do) And look at what Fiio is releasing for 150 dollars (m6) just 10 dollars more than AP80 :astonished:- I guarantee the overall user/customer experience will be better.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #2,200 of 4,614
Let’s face it, their communication and customer service SUCK. No sugarcoating it, and by the way they’ve treated past releases and firmware updates this is just par for the course.

It really seems once they have your $$ they don’t give a ****. Too bad, because the hardware is pretty nice for the $. I mean it sounds good and works ok, but without future support it’s just average. Firmware to smooth out the experience and podcasting, better database support and LDAC would make this little thing go from good to excellent.

I have a hard time hitting the artist button- and the play/pause button on screen. More than I’ve ever had with any touchscreen device. I’m assuming the hit boxes are off with the on screen symbols positioning.

I hope features and these problems will be addressed in the future, but really all I’ve seen is a lot of lip service.

Go to the Shanling, Fiio, AK threads and you will see much better support (not too hard to do) And look at what Fiio is releasing for 150 dollars (m6) just 10 dollars more than AP80 :astonished:- I guarantee the overall user/customer experience will be better.
Sorry to say, but yup.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #2,202 of 4,614
because the hardware is pretty nice for the $. I mean it sounds good and works ok, but without future support it’s just average. Firmware to smooth out the experience and podcasting, better database support and LDAC would make this little thing go from good to excellent.

I did communicate several times with people from Hidizs lately and they do understand what people are waiting and the importance of after sales support. They don't deny that there are problems with that now and trying to get those processes up and running, including previous products as well. That is why I am waiting for the next FW releases which are promissed to appear any time now prior to making any categorical statements. I like the sound of AP80, the way it works and mostly finilized FW. Of course, everything what was declared should be fulfilled at the nearest future. And don't forget that every modern device, coming from indy project or brand mastodon, still heavily rely on first customers as betatesters. Sometimes even worse - example: Xduoo X3 DAP which was released in y.2015 - still having much more significant issues of playing 44kHz tracks with 1-3% speed slowdown and lots of other limitations and bugs. The only solution came from active customers who released RockBox custom FW. This is what I call a disaster - the main function of DAP is screwed up for 3 years. No problems with that in all Hidizs DAPs I own since the very beginning - AP100. Yes, there are some bugs or functions that are still awaiting for the next fix but all DAPs have good sound and playing tracks. And finally - Hidizs is not the only company involved in the process of bug fixing. The OS is coming from HiBy which means additional redirection of feedback and issues. Hiby is already supporting their own DAPs, Xduoo DAPs, Hidizs and all apps they have released for different platforms. Some of the issues we address here are totally under their jurisdiction... Anyway, as far as I know Ken has collected the list and forwarded it to his team and Hiby as well. Waiting...

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #2,203 of 4,614
I did communicate several times with people from Hidizs lately and they do understand what people are waiting and the importance of after sales support. They don't deny that there are problems with that now and trying to get those processes up and running, including previous products as well. That is why I am waiting for the next FW releases which are promissed to appear any time now prior to making any categorical statements. I like the sound of AP80, the way it works and mostly finilized FW. Of course, everything what was declared should be fulfilled at the nearest future. And don't forget that every modern device, coming from indy project or brand mastodon, still heavily rely on first customers as betatesters. Sometimes even worse - example: Xduoo X3 DAP which was released in y.2015 - still having much more significant issues of playing 44kHz tracks with 1-3% speed slowdown and lots of other limitations and bugs. The only solution came from active customers who released RockBox custom FW. This is what I call a disaster - the main function of DAP is screwed up for 3 years. No problems with that in all Hidizs DAPs I own since the very beginning - AP100. Yes, there are some bugs or functions that are still awaiting for the next fix but all DAPs have good sound and playing tracks. And finally - Hidizs is not the only company involved in the process of bug fixing. The OS is coming from HiBy which means additional redirection of feedback and issues. Hiby is already supporting their own DAPs, Xduoo DAPs, Hidizs and all apps they have released for different platforms. Some of the issues we address here are totally under their jurisdiction... Anyway, as far as I know Ken has collected the list and forwarded it to his team and Hiby as well. Waiting...

Hey I’ve got no ill will towards Hidisz, I hope they get things together. Competition is good for everyone! The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

Dec 18, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #2,204 of 4,614
Even cheaper than the AP80 that was announced at MSRP $159 in KS campaign...

@silverfishla,
Will check the Soundfield DSP... Might play with the other filters too, no idea what there're doing though!

I really like the soundfield effect myself, not too much but a little does makes things sound more exciting and well like the soundfield is a bit bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back