1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

AP80 - Hidizs next portable Hi-Res music player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by IryxBRO, Apr 24, 2018.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last
  1. whoever81
    Wow. A lot of praise for Hidizs AP80! I am wondering why do you find the SQ to be that much better than Shanling M0. They use the same ESS chip and the M0 has a very decent sound according to various reviews. Sounds like AP80 is closer to Shanling M2s in SQ?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    crezo likes this.
  2. ExpatinJapan
    13A721F5-DCA9-4C0C-A5C9-1723365C6834.jpeg I’ve no idea myself either yet.

I will set them up (AP80 and M0) volume matched running through a headphone switcher box eventually to test with a variety of IEMs.

Specs look similar.

*i dont have Hiby R3 to compare, sorry.

whoever81 likes this.
  3. puppyfi
    The review and comparison was done mostly using Audio-Technica ATH-M50.
    It would be better if more headphones/IEMs were used to get a more balance impression.
    Imo, synergy between IEMs/DAPs plays a very important role. A poorly matched combo will give off a poor sound impression.
    Still, I like the style of AP80 much much better than the M0....more handier size, more buttons (that is, not just solely touchscreen)

whoever81 likes this.
  4. crezo
    Nice write up and pics.

I'm intrigued by the sound profile comments though.. As it uses the same DAC chip as the M0 which has had glowing reviews pretty much from every reviewer, and is known to be a bit more on the warm side. Yet your review says the ap80 is more neutral - which after the somewhat lifeless and too neutral signature of the ap200 I was really hoping the ap80 would sound better (or at least 'better' in terms of more towards my prefered sound) but this may not be the case based on your comments which would be a real shame. However this is complete conrradiction to Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews comments... so I gues we need a third opinion... HeadPie... I'm looking at you :wink:

whoever81 and ExpatinJapan like this.
  5. ExpatinJapan
    My short opinion was posted before earlier (and also on my blog).

I still need more testing but my kids summer holidays are eating up my reviewing time and at night I am tired. :wink:

‘NO EXCUSES, Expat!’

Its more the amp than the dac which produces the sound sig (although many can hear a difference between the usual dac suspects - sabre vs AkM vs Burr Brown dacs, although the gap isnt so defined as before).

DX200/DX150/FiiO X7ii etc being cases in point with swappable amps and the differing sound sigs.

Plus a bit of under the hood firmware tweakages if you prescribe to such things.

But you’re going in the right direction. Read, hear, see a few reviews and split the averages/differences/similarities.

Nothing beats hearing a device for yourself but IGG/ Kickstarter campaigns dont afford such luxuries.

Best is when its fairly neutral imho and lets the earphones signature come through.

And.... never underestimate the power of tips!

In the meantime lets wait for a couple more reviews to appear this week.

:wink:

whoever81 and crezo like this.
  6. Vimtoman
    Sounds like it has a typical Hiby sound signature.
    I like the size of the unit. The buttons the volume control.

Problem there is no LDAC.

DAB radio?

7. ExpatinJapan
    E4D5CCA3-E4E7-4122-A2BB-6BE3E2F0CF42.jpeg

053A214E-3D38-41B8-9816-DD53D4CEE6B3.jpeg

LDAC info just up.

And looks like a Timeline also. I was wondering about that.

1043DBEB-15AC-4E1F-80D1-85E3CB946D84.jpeg

8. IryxBRO
    I don't own M2s but AP80 does really outperform M0. It is obvious after 10-20mins spent with both players in direct comparison. The main concern is about M0 inadequate reproduction of lows in comparison to AP80. Sounds more hollow and straight. AP80 reveals more details here.

Add here some supplementary advantages like much better screen of AP80 with better sensivity, interesting design, more sophisticated OS functions and audio settings - you'd get my point why AP80 plays in higher league.

whoever81 likes this.
  9. IryxBRO
    The main reason to do the review with fixed type of headphones that I am using everyday is to find as much differences in DAP sounds as I can. I am not trying to find the best match of DAP + IEMs... and not saying that ATH-M50 is the best options for both. Just summarizing what difference they make when placed in same conditions. Fortunately, when tried both with Seeds IEMs - difference remained the same.

10. IryxBRO
    Each person perceives the sound differently. My opinion is that AP80 sounds more balanced (Lows -> Mids -> Highs). At the same time it shows better texture in higs and lows. Therefore, sounds better to me. I would always prefer more precise sound instead of additional colorization of a source. Moreover, using the same DAC doesn't mean having the same resulting audio quality. Lots of additional components would influence the entire picture. It seems that this is the case.

BTW (don't want to offend anyone, IMO) - after long time spent with AP100, AP200, AP60II, AP60Pro, Sonata DH1000, Serenade iDSD - Shanling M0 sound is simplified and over-colored to my liking. AP80 sounds familiar, instead, with less amount of any type of signature and more "analytical" feel. Which is close to all other Hidizs products except for external DAC&AMPs like DH1000 and Serenade iDSD which is kind of emphasizing on lows or have much more intimate expression.

11. TheRH
    To simplify things it is rather easy. You can have Three DAC's, DAP's, or what have you with identical SOC's. Although they sound mildly to dramatically different, but why?

The answer is more than just hearing, but also how the output path is implemented.

The the way in witch the output path is implemented, simular to a headphone/speaker amp is what makes the true difference.

12. crezo
    Well interestingly I just found some old super cheapy Kinera BD005 Hybrids I bought ages ago and hooked them up to the AP200 to see how they sound. And good god!! - these totally transform how it sounds. All £25 pounds worth of them completely change my mind about the device, and the best part is the EQ works flawlessly to let me tweak them to give them some brightness they're usually lacking (still with some killer low end though).

That's quite an eye opener. I'm shocked how good these sound through them, I guess the CA Comets just really don't play well with this device and EQ and goes to show just how much of a difference the match makes.

This has made me now really want to pickup the Ap80 even more.

However it's also made we want to sell the Comets and look at the Campfire Dorado hybrids now too. ****.

13. TheRH
    Too funny.

14. IryxBRO
    I had another experience with widely promoted KZ brand - here is my review. The worst product I've see for the last several years...

crezo likes this.
  15. crezo
    "The perfect IEM for nearly deaf old people" :wink: love it. So they're not recomended then? :wink:

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Next

Last