Anyway, why do I need a balanced portable amplifier?
Feb 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aero Dynamik

1000+ Head-Fier
[size=medium]I’ve just ordered Cypher Labs’ Algorhythm Solo –db. It has a balanced output port for connecting it to a balanced amplifier, like the “SR-71B” and the “The Intruder” from “Ray Samuels Audio”, or the “The International” and the “Rx MK3-B” from ALO Audio. By the way, are there any other portable balanced amplifiers around?[/size]

[size=medium]Anyway, why do I need a balanced portable amplifier? I already own the TTVJ Portable Slim (having “just” single ended connections) which to my ears sounds quite fantastic with my Sennheiser HD 650. Now, I’m not a technical person, but isn’t the purpose of balanced cables to eliminate interference from powerful radio signals and strong electrical currents, running in parallel with the audio cable, such as a sensitive microphone cable on stage surrounded by lots of electrical cables for lighting, etc.? How much interference can a 1 inch or so single ended line-level analog interconnect cable pick up in a normal home? Enough to be audible? Really? Please convince me! Perhaps a balanced cable from the amp to the headphones would make some sort of difference, but I really doubt that too![/size]

[size=medium]By the way; is the left and right cable in a balanced headphone cable really balanced, or is the sound just balanced until the moment it leaves the balanced output port on the amp? In that case, a balanced headphone cable would be more or less useless, no? As I said, this is not my home turf.[/size]

[size=medium]Another thing I just can’t understand is why I should invest USD 265 on a “Reference 8 ‑ Silver/Copper Mini to Mini” interconnect cable between my CLAS and TTVJ Slim. I mean, how much can the analogue signals degrade while being transported an inch or so in a normal home far away from high voltage cables and strong radio signals? Again, enough to be audible? Really? Please convince me![/size]

[size=medium]It would be nice the get some response from the sponsors/manufacturers as well, but they never seem to get into the discussion. I wonder why?[/size]

[size=medium]It seems to me that the whole thing with super expensive cables versus decent quality cables for portable use is a lot more smoke and mirrors than it is science and/or audible. Please note that I’m not trying to be provocative. If someone could prove me wrong, I’d be very interested and exited, as it would mean even better sound quality.[/size]

[size=medium]In this context, I don’t give much for arguments of the type; “After I upgraded to this super expensive headphone cable, I swear to God I entered into audio nirvana”. However, if you’ve been able to pass a blind test under trustworthy conditions, i.e. performed by someone other than yourself, I would be more than willing to listen. [/size][size=medium]Anyone?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread