anyway to make supraaural headphones into cirumaural?
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 5
With Grados in particular, circumaural solution called C-pads are available. Not sure how some of the other supraaurals would take to being modded in such way, though. 

Also remember that the supraaurals were designed so that they sound like how they are in their stock pad configuration... changing them to supraaurals will always change the sound (Headphile C-pads mentioned above are no exception).

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 5
it depends on the pads you use. pleather increases bass, for example. other pads, such as velour, foam, etc decrease lower frequencies, create an acoustic chamber which emphasizes HF, etc.

increasing the distance of the driver to your ear aids in instrument separation, imaging, and head stage.

IMO the best compromise is a combination of foam, and another material. With my grados I cut out foam "adapters." That is, I made a foam pad that is about the same size as the cum diaphragm, then superglued them to my circumaural pads. The way the soundwaves interacts with the combination pleather/foam cups makes it sounds almost identical to quarter/flipped comfys, with the comfort of oval cups.

Those are just cheap pleather cups I took off a scrapped pair of highsmith 'phones. masking tape i used in my "ghettomod" tore off some of the stitching. I assume comfort and sound would be much better with better pads.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 5
well i actually was messaged by the manufacturer of the headphones i use, and they are making circumaural pads and put me on the list so i don't need to mod them or anything :p thanks though everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back