Anything to help decrease visibility of old facial scars?
May 22, 2005 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a horizontal scar across my cheek and a small white circular on my forehead. (and a big black spot on my nose, whats left of a giant pimple I had a few years ago) They've always bothered me, and I really wish I could make em disappear. Probably can't, so I just want them to be harder to notice. Any creams or anything that'd help me? No plastic surgery thank you.

EDIT: I have to go do some laundry, I may not reply for a bit.

May 22, 2005 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 14
You could try Retin-A micro. It contains tretinoin, an agent which causes gentle peeling of your outer skin to cause a gradual reduction of scars or hyperpigmentation (spots) over time. It will take at least 6 months of daily use to see good results. Alternatively you could also try lotions which contain glycolic acid or other alpha-hydroxy acids, but these might be less effective in the usual OTC strengths.

May 22, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 14
I had a plunging stab wound to the area between my thumb and forefinger that resulted in a terrible scar (raised & stretched), that I religiously treated with "Mederma", and after several months (one tube) it is virtually imperceptable. Buy the smallest size, it really goes a long way!

May 22, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 14
Simple might be better: Makeup. That is just a temporary solution and you have probably thought about it already.

May 22, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 14
Work on the black spot.

Keep the rest, they add character
evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 14
Best talk to your doctor. Also, some scars don't go away without plastic surgery... and not even then, in which case professional, permanent / semi-permanent makeup is an option depending on the nature of the scar.

I've had extensive reconstructive surgery even just on my face alone, and I still have a lot of things that I'd like corrected but have been advised against it for now, which means I have to live with my face for now (it's not that bad... but it could definitely be better). Facial scars tend to stick around for a long time; I've had fairly serious wounds sustained in my limbs / abdomen which are all but invisible now.

May 22, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the responses guys. Most of the scars on my face aren't too deep or anything, but have been there since childhood. The one that bothers me most is the circular on my forehead, looks like a crater. I know, I'm being superficial, but they do irritate me quite a bit, mentally. Plus, they're all on the right half of my face. I assume compared to some of you, my scars are minimal, I guess I'm lucky in a way.

I was thinking over the counter for the moment, and if need be, I'd talk to the doctor. (If I get to the point where It really annoys me) So, any good OTC solutions? Preferably not too expensive. TIA

May 23, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 14
If it's pitting-type scars that are bothering you, then I'm afraid there's not much that can be done besides collagen injections by a dermatologist to fill up the "craters"/ "ice-pick" marks or dermabrasion to even out texture.

Retin-A, glycolic acid peels etc are only useful in relatively flat, pigmented scars (like the black spot you mention), although it can make the skin appear smoother in case of less severe scars. Some people claim good results from copper-binding peptides which stimulate collagen production - worth a try. You can learn more about those products here.

May 23, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Some sort of Calendula ointment might help. Although it may be to late. All I know and have experianced is that Calendula heals wounds and skin faster and can prevent scar tissue.
When I used Calendula on acne the skin healed much faster and made it really soft and healthy.

May 23, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 14
oh! didnt realize mederma was OTC! I havent seen teh ads in a LONG time . . or I forgot. Thanks guys!

As for surgery, Im still a late teenager, and have no money. Plus I just dont wanna do stuff my face. Scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back