Anything similar to Massive Attack?
Feb 13, 2014 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
And I dont mean to usual suspects nor do I mean anything in the Trip-Hop genre.
Im talking about a band (that I am hoping I just missed) that does TH as well as MA.

Some of these come close:

Portishead
Tricky
Archive
Laika
Lamb
Morcheeba
Sneaker Pimps
Hooverphonic

...but truth is IMO, witht he exception of early Portishead there is simply no other band that I can find that is even in the same league as MA.

Please prove me wrong!

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, I love some of those others on your list as much as MA, especially early Tricky and Laika and PH, so no damage done if you don't go for this, but I've got a big love going for the Kid Loco A Grand Love Story 2-CD set from 1998, and other than Tricky and Laika, it might be the one I listen to most often these days. Just puts me in such a good mood, smiles throughout. There's a pretty cool vid for the single "Love Me Sweet" on youtube, but that's just one picture. There's a lot more. Full record in lo-fi on youtube linked below.

Those first two from Laika, Silver Apples of the Moon and Sounds of the Satellites, still get a lot of listens, very influential and almost timeless in comparison to much in the genre. Tricky's Maxinquaye, really from another planet, kind of on its own. Early Beth Orton. Bowery Electric. There were some really good ones in that mid 90s time period. There are a ton of recent records that share a lot of that same sound, but they all kind of run together in my mind, not sure which one I am listening to anymore without checking the CD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlMTmfBkKaw

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 11
This might not help, but you probably cannot be proved wrong. I also think you've listed most of the competitors. I've not heard of Laika or Archive but like all the rest. It's not a huge genre. Maybe try Goldfrapp "Felt Mountain"? Looking at the music map I can say I very much enjoy Air, which isn't really trip-hop but is closest on the map. I also like Thievery Corporation.

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Other than Portishead, you might have some luck with the following albums:

Bjork: Homogenic or Post
DJ Shadow: Endtroducing...
Emanciaptor: Soon It Will Be Cold Enough
Gorillaz: Demon Days
Gil Scott-Heron: I'm New Here
Ulver: Perdition City

I'm not saying they're all 'strict' trip hop along the lines of Massive Attack, but I think if you're a big fan of MA and Portishead that you'll probably find some things to appreciate here, especially insofar as the atmosphere is concerned. I'd probably start with Emancipator and Ulver.

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 11
Massive Attack is a high bar to set. Mezzanine is a masterpiece.

One song I heard recently that does remind of Massive Attack is: Emily Wells - Becomes the Color. I know nothing of her except this track from the movie "Stoker" as I haven't made any time to research. Maybe if I got off Head-Fi...

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #7 of 11
I really like Phantogram, I won't say they sound exactly like Massive Attack but it's definitely in the same spirit. They have a new album (their second) coming out this week and a few EP's.

Feb 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 11
I amazes me that no one else has really come close to MA or at least has tried to replicate their formula (with the exception of Portishead, whom I still find distinctly different).

Dec 30, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Goldfrapp - "Felt Mountain" album

It's not the same sound as MA, of course, but they have their own unique sound which I think many MA fans will like

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #10 of 11
Thats a tough one to follow, mostly what you said is your best bet

You can also add:

"Leftfield" to the list for sure.

Maybe "Shara Nelson" and "Garbage"

Funny I have everything you listed as I'm a big fan of massive attack and that style of sound.

At the moment "Lamb" is on my machine playing most days.

Feb 2, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Not exactly in the same style /league, however all the Portishead fans I know of, were extremely happy when I recommended a Sweden group called Canidas to them ...  Perhaps, you 'll find them as your cup of TH tea ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back