Anything similar to Grado's without the brightness?
Sep 17, 2011 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

deniall83

100+ Head-Fier
Long story short I bought some MS Pro's and while they sound great, I find I can't listen to them for long periods due to the harsh brightness which make my ears bleed. They also aren't very comfortable and I find myself having to change volume on every track that comes on which makes listening less enjoyable for me. So i'm in the hunt for something that has the detail of Grado's with plenty of soundstage and less piercing treble. Does such a headphone exist? At this stage I have no budget in mind so feel free to suggest whatever you feel fits the bill.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Mate, you're in Perth! Go over to Headphonic, ask for their advice and audition stuff yourself :)! I'm just going to assume you didn't audition the MS Pros in store for any significant period of time?

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Long story short I bought some MS Pro's and while they sound great, I find I can't listen to them for long periods due to the harsh brightness which make my ears bleed. They also aren't very comfortable and I find myself having to change volume on every track that comes on which makes listening less enjoyable for me. So i'm in the hunt for something that has the detail of Grado's with plenty of soundstage and less piercing treble. Does such a headphone exist? At this stage I have no budget in mind so feel free to suggest whatever you feel fits the bill.

Argh, even Alessandro sounds too aggressive for you? If so, there aren't many choices really....

Did you ever hear any of high end beyers?

Plus :

Quote:
Mate, you're in Perth! Go over to Headphonic, ask for their advice and audition stuff yourself :)! I'm just going to assume you didn't audition the MS Pros in store for any significant period of time?

Listen to this guy and hear some headphones.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 13
YES! It's called the Koss Pro DJ 100. More sub-bass, less mid-bass, more balanced sounding (than the SR-80), but with less harsh treble.
Too bad it needs an amp to sound good. Same forward mids, but it's closed.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:

Yeah I might just do that but they don't stock a lot of the headphones I would like to hear.

Quote:
Argh, even Alessandro sounds too aggressive for you? If so, there aren't many choices really....

Did you ever hear any of high end beyers?

Yeah they do unfortunately but it's not just that, they are very uncomfortable for me. I listened to the MS Pro for about an hour then switched to my HD25 II and while they don't sound quite as I good, I enjoy listening to them a lot more and they are super comfy.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Yeah I might just do that but they don't stock a lot of the headphones I would like to hear.

Yeah they do unfortunately but it's not just that, they are very uncomfortable for me. I listened to the MS Pro for about an hour then switched to my HD25 II and while they don't sound quite as I good, I enjoy listening to them a lot more and they are super comfy.

Ask them if they have any high-end Beyers (I mean DT770 or higher) if they have, go ahead and see if you can tolerate/enjoy Beyer sound.

You also bring the comfort question, I guess you will have to go for full-size headphones as well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 13
They've got all the Beyer's up to the T5p and T1.

Personally I think you should check out the Beyer DT250 - it's high end is slightly pulled back intentionally, which seems to be to reduce listening fatigue.

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 13
First, you should consider using some different pads for your Alessandros. The pads really do change the sound in a pretty significant way and they can potentially improve comfort as well. Perhaps you might end up being able to use the Alessandros after all...

If not, Goldring DR150 has a very similar sound to a Grado but less fatiguing (after burn-in). They have more bass than Grado and the highs are actually just as detailed but not as harsh. They do well with warm sources or with some slight EQ if you have a 'cold' (accurate) source. They are also way more comfortable than any Grado since they share a similar design to the Sennheiser HD5XX and HD6XX lines. I remember reading somewhere that Jaben recently introduced them to Australia, so it shouldn't be hard getting them. They are also very reasonably priced.

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:

Closed? Open? Doesn't matter?

Fischer Audio FA-002 (open) FA-003 (closed); SRH940 (closed); AKG K272 HD (closed); HD598 (open); DT880 (open).

Very best,

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Have you tried your MS-Pro with a good Tube amplifier like a Mapletree EAR+ HD? It would tame the high and make them sing like never before.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I definitely need to audition some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back