Anything other than the D22 eggos for the average person?
Jul 15, 2002 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Trent

New Head-Fier
First of all, just wanted to say thanx to everyone for the wonderful reading material you guys have been supplying me for the last 2 weeks
cool.gif

Ok, some background info about me (this is my first post
wink.gif
)
I am definately NOT an audiophile or even ANYTHING close. I'm just an average consumer that would do a nice upgrade from my current crappy system. NOTICE: I have NEVER had any experience with hi-fi stuff (so I'm gonna be an EASY one to please in the sound quality dept). I will be getting an MP3 player in about 2 months (ignore the quality
wink.gif
) Until then, the cans will be plugged into the back of my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz to listen to my rather large music collection (don't worry about MP3 quality- many 192-320 kbps albums and few 128's). My budget CANNOT exceed $65 including shipping (please don't start...
frown.gif
)

Here are the phones that I've looked at for the past two weeks and I was about to order them tomorrow (so I'm posting for some last minute advice)

To put some value into this post, I'll give the best price I could find including shipping (I live in the U.S.) as well as a link for those who may be interested

Sennheiser HD212Pro -- Call (800) 992-0250 (Select Reabte) and ask for it; $43.99 - 10% off coupon (use code "sr202") + $3.95 shipping = $43.54 (I emailed them and they said they DO have it although not listed on the site)

Sennheiser HD497 -- $48.99 - 10% off coupon (use code "sr202") + $3.95 shipping = $48.04

Philips HP550 -- $29.92 + $14.55 shipping = $44.47

Aiwa HP-X222 -- $39.00 + $10 shipping (yes, higher but others had CRAZY shipping like the above Philips
frown.gif
)

and finally, the cans that I currently choose...

Sony MDR-D22SL Eggo -- $45.00 + $10 shipping = $55.00

(the 497's are posted only because they seem like a good deal for anyone who might be interested)

Preferences:
- Closed (I'm fine with the "semi-sealed" structure of the eggos), no plugs or clips
- Comfortable (from Superbaldguy's review, the eggos are perfect)
- For use with an MP3 player in 2 months, but also suitable for computer usage (I will still be using them with the computer after I get the MP3 player)

Well, what do you guys think? Once again, these will strictly be used for enjoyment so I don't want some anaylzing cans ie. Sony MDR-V6 which I can't afford or find anyway (but with the ones I posted above, you guys probably laugh
rolleyes.gif
) I have ABOLSUTELY no real headphone experience other than my $12 Sony MDR-W08's (the vertical kind I bought 2 years ago)

I am very sure about getting the eggos (love how they fold up and their looks) and have been looking into them since reading Superbaldguy's review, but I just wanted to consult you guys just in case
wink.gif
Last question-- If I *do* get the eggos (man, I really have my mind set on them or what), how much of a quality upgrade would I experience in comparison to my current Sony's? I had my eye on the 212Pro's for a bit but I can't stand it's build and don't like it's supra-aural-circumaural cross)

Big thanx. Greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 11
add the koss porta pro and KSC-55 to your list. I know you dont want clip ons, but the ksc-35 is a great phone too. the porta pro is the same thing but over the head, and the 55 is behind the neck (streetstyle). the 55 is $20, 35 $30, porta $40??, I havent heard the eggos tho, so I cannot comment about them.

Jul 15, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't heard the D22s but my D66 eggos are excellent. For $55 I don't see how you'd go wrong with the D22. I think you would get a nice improvement vs. your current headpones. You'll probably need some kind of extension cord if you're going to plug them directly into your sound card (the D22SL cord is about 6 inches long but comes with a short extension) so don't forget to factor that into your budget. Radio Shack will do you fine here for cheap.

If you don't want clips/open headphones e.g. Koss 35 & Portapros (which are good and cheap) or the V6 then the next step up in sound quality and cost is about $100 so enjoy your eggos! Just don't put 'em in the toaster.

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Oops. heh. Noticed I linked to the Philips 550's twice o_O
(they can be gotten here for $31.64 total)

Thnx for the replies guys
cool.gif

I'm gonna order them right away
wink.gif

One last question tho- the Aiwa HP-X222 came in 2nd choice & Philips 550's for third from the eggos. Would anyone happen to own any of these to compare (or similar phones)? There aren't many threads about these cans on these forums and even HeadWise. Some on the 550s but none of it helps much (just a few people's suggestions)

Thnx again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 11
I've heard the Aiwas once. They're mediocre, even for their price. They suffer from most of the symptoms of cheap closed headphones: no real deep bass extension, hollow/honky/muddy/tinny/ringing/echoey overall sound. I'd say that they're almost exactly what the Sony MDR-V600's are, but at a price that's way closer to what the V600's are really worth (the Aiwas cost $30, while the Sony V600's typically sell for close to $100). And both the Aiwa X222's and the Sony V600's are examples of how NOT to make a good (or even decent) closed headphone - they both have way too much empty air space within their oversized earcups. Couple that fact to the large unbroken surface area of the housings, and you'll get one big, headache-inducing, resonance-laden pair of rather poor-sounding headphones.

OTOH, the highly touted high-end Sennheisers also have large earcups - but they're also open-back, so there's a much lower likelihood than same-sized closed headphones of those tinny ringing/echoey resonances trying to screw up the sound.

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 11
Cool. Thanks for the heads up Eagle_Driver
cool.gif

So this basically leaves only the Philips 550's and *maybe* the Sennheiser 280Pros (if their sound kicked the hell out of the eggos). I know some people have the 550's. How do these compare against the D22's?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 2:25 AM Post #7 of 11
I own the Philips 550's. They're just so-so. They too suffer from the echoey/plasticky/honky/tinny sound that's typical of cheap closed headphones. They're smaller than the Aiwas, but they still have too much empty air space within their housings.

The Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's also have large closed earcups - but they have relatively little empty air space within their housings, so there are relatively few resonances that could potentially screw up the sound.

Jul 16, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 11
The D22's probably present the best compromise between style, closed performance from limited power and price.

You will notice quite a big difference in sound.

HD280's are too analysing (and stupid looking), Koss's are too open (can't hear anything in town). Both the other Senns - open.

For something a little different, have a look at the IXOS Ministry of Sound headphones - which should now be available in the States. The 'bedroom DJ range' are the DJ1004 and DJ1005. The 'club' range - DJ1001 to 1003 look like the offspring of the Sennheiser HD280 and the V700DJ (what a thought)... IXOS are a respected manufacturer of quality interconnects and other audiophile bits.

But, from the choices listed there, I say go Eggo.

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, i guess I'm gonna go with the eggos. Thanx for all the replies and help everybody.
cool.gif

Keep jammin' everybody
smily_headphones1.gif
(err..or rockin' or tunin' or...
tongue.gif
)

Jul 16, 2002 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 11
Good choice on the D22's.

Someday, when you see the light about portable audio devices, you will get into MiniDisc. The Eggos series are absolutely perfect for that format, and I think Sony designed the D22's and D66's for MiniDisc.

Anyway, you'll have a great set of cans when that blessed day arrives.
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
For something a little different, have a look at the IXOS Ministry of Sound headphones - which should now be available in the States. The 'bedroom DJ range' are the DJ1004 and DJ1005. The 'club' range - DJ1001 to 1003 look like the offspring of the Sennheiser HD280 and the V700DJ (what a thought)... IXOS are a respected manufacturer of quality interconnects and other audiophile bits.

FYI, the IXOS Ministry of Sound line of DJ headphones is available in the U.S.; Best Buy carries the IXOS MoS line through its Web Site (but not in its brick-and-mortar superstores).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back