Anything like Indigo Girls or Ella Baila Sola? (recommendations please!)
Jan 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

james444

Headphoneus Supremus
I like Folk/Rock/Pop with two (or more) female lead vocalists. Indigo Girls or the Spanish Ella Baila Sola are good examples of what I mean. I'd love to get some listening recommendations from fellow headfiers. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #2 of 12
If you haven't already got it - 'Kindred Spirit's eponymous album on the IRS label should top your list.

The Indigo Girls' Atlanta friends like Cooper Seay, Kristin Hall, Michelle Malone and others who did the 80's albums - 'The Ellen James Society' might interest you. They did 2 girly punk albums and had off-shoot albums from their friends like Chris McGuire's 'The Immortality Box' - one of the best cult gems of 1996. She only released one album. Viva La Diva was Cooper Seay's solo effort (doesn't really cut it then), and Kristin Hall did a few folk CDs as a solo artist too. Michelle Malone might swing your boat too - she's a well known figure in the Atlantan music scene.

Otherwise, the Be Good Tanyas (all girl band) have that female vocalist sound, as do Po Girl. They've released a few albums between them. More folky than pop.

Jan 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 12
@Head_case: Thanks for your detailed recommendations! I already have an excellent Po Girl CD and some Be Good Tanyas. All others I don't know and will definitely give them a try.

@vcoheda: Thanks for the list, in fact I have/know most of them. But here I am specifically looking for acts with two (or more) female lead vocalists and great harmony singing, not solo lead singers.

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 12
I am with you James... will be wanting to see if there are more as well (but indigo girls, like Imogen Heap are pretty rare)

There is some mentioned here:
Female duet songs - any ideas?

More like traditional song...

I cannot do this at work, but maybe use Pandora.. start off with a good Indigo song that you like and see where it takes you and reject anything that you don't like....

Cheers,

Jan 5, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@vcoheda: Thanks for the list, in fact I have/know most of them. But here I am specifically looking for acts with two (or more) female lead vocalists and great harmony singing, not solo lead singers.

that seems pretty rare. maybe jenny lewis with watson twins would have some tracks like that. and azure ray has two strong leads, maybe not in harmony though.

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 12
Tegan and Sara (try Sainthood)
Kate & Anna McGarrigle (try either of their first two)
The Roches (the first)

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot do this at work, but maybe use Pandora.. start off with a good Indigo song that you like and see where it takes you and reject anything that you don't like....

Tried that, though it's a nice idea it turned out too unspecific. Thanks anyway!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon.com: The Angel in the House: The Story: Music

I knew Jonatha Brooke but wasn't aware of "The Story". Thanks - great album!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that seems pretty rare. maybe jenny lewis with watson twins would have some tracks like that.

Thanks, this is a good one too. Their cover of The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" is beautiful!

Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tegan and Sara (try Sainthood)
Kate & Anna McGarrigle (try either of their first two)
The Roches (the first)

I like the singing on "Sainthood", but these rhythms are a bit hard for me to digest. Maybe with repeated listening...

Regarding Kate & Anna McGarrigle, how could I forget mentioning them in the first place? They're maybe the best example of what I'm looking for. Excellent stuff, I have their first two (and more) on vinyl. I knew the Roches and liked them at the time, but they didn't last like the McGarrigles.

Sadly Kate has only one daughter, so no more McGarrigle female duets for the time being, but Martha is brilliant in her own way.

Thanks for your time and recommendations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 12
To the OP

If you want 2 or more lead female vocals in Folk music, consider giving The Wailin' Jennys a shot. I think you'll enjoy them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back