Anyone with a large experience of IEMs, please help me decide... (Hear me out)
Oct 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ScumbagBrain123

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some purely bass specified IEMs. All that matters is bass for me, as I listen to lots of bassy music (although rap happens to be excluded). I want to get the dirtiest, muddiest, loudest bass possible. Yeah, I know, "He wants muddy bass? What's with this guy?". Well, this is because typically headphones/earphones/speakers in general that are said to have "muddy" actually just have (what seems to me) more bass. Of course, an earphone/ear-bud with high bass amounts might distort, but most of the time I listen to music 50 to 75 percent, so it shouldn't be a problem. I've checked out quite a few ear-buds, starting with the more popular ones including sony xb41ex's, and skullcandy titans (didn't own them, just read some reviews.). The skullcandy titans are supposedly full of good bass. I assume the xb41ex's also have a good amount of bass due to the label "extra bass". The Radius Atomic Bass IEM's also look promising. If anyone has hear any of these, please let me know. The reason I want so much bass in my music is because of what I listen to (lots of house, dance, electronic, techno, D&B, dubstep, etc.). In terms of the skullcandies, don't automatically shut them down just because of their name. I've read lots of positive reviews. It would also be nice if they're durable. Also, due to them being ear-buds, and not over or on ear headphones, I don't care about the looks (as long as they're not the kind that have a plastic grip that wraps around the back of your ear, haha). 
I'll add a poll for the 3 mentioned above, but you're much more than welcome to suggest other ear-buds for me. Thanks, head-fi! 
Edit: My range would be around $75
Edit 2: Also, I don't use amps, just my little iPhone 3gs 
redface.gif

Edit2 1/2: said drivers instead of amps, wwwwoooowwww.

Edit 3: Even though I've decided to get the MEelectronics M31s, I haven't bought them yet (probably will this saturday, [11-3-12]), so keep putting in any suggestions you may have over those that either are just as or less expensive, and/or more bass heavy than the M31s. I'll edit this post again when I buy them, and provide a review. Thanks.

Oct 29, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 13
Atrio M5 MG7. from www.atrio.me and use coupon code CostProg50%

Stay away from the main stream brands, if you want great bass with good texture and quality go for Atrio, still not enough bass? Add an FiiO E11 headphone amplifier and use the bass boost settings.

Another option would be Hippo VB from Jaben Audio, and another Monster Turbine from amazon.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
Atrio M5 MG7. from www.atrio.me and use coupon code CostProg50%
Stay away from the main stream brands, if you want great bass with good texture and quality go for Atrio, still not enough bass? Add an FiiO E11 headphone amplifier and use the bass boost settings.
Another option would be Hippo VB from Jaben Audio, and another Monster Turbine from amazon.

I wasn't aware that Monster wasn't mainstream. :p But thanks. I'll check out some reviews for all of them, Monster being last, because I want to stay in a $50 range.

Edit: just checked out the Jaben Audio ones. They seem to fit my needs, do they have more bass than all the previously mentioned ones?

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 13
I wasn't aware that Monster wasn't mainstream. :p But thanks. I'll check out some reviews for all of them, Monster being last, because I want to stay in a $50 range.

Well you won't get the Atrio for under $100, turbines are $79, Hippo VB $79. If you want to stick under $50 I don't exactly hold high hopes you'll find such bass at that price point. Probably be better off going for JVC FX101. There's several threads and people here swear by them for bass, probably your best bet.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Well you won't get the Atrio for under $100, turbines are $79, Hippo VB $79. If you want to stick under $50 I don't exactly hold high hopes you'll find such bass at that price point. Probably be better off going for JVC FX101. There's several threads and people here swear by them for bass, probably your best bet.

Well, that being said, I could probably spare an extra 30 dollars :/

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Well the FX101 story starts here..(and continues through out the pages)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/1425#post_8395797

I think you should check them out, many seem happy and you maybe able to save some dollars. Hippo VB reviews can be found using our search feature, be aware they're a gamble as many people have suffered channel imbalance problems recently, but if they work I know they'd be perfect. Also Turbines reviews can be found using the search. But most importantly have a look at VB and Turbines reviews in this thread from ljokerl, his reviews are really trust worthy. Honestly I don't know if Turbines will cut the mustard for you in bass the VB's I know will work but you have that problem to run risk with. Fisher Audio Eterna is another option as mentioned above."

Here's the thread, you'll find reviews on most in here....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-262-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-ue-900-added-10-28-12

Though seriously look into the JVC FX101, because they're apparently a real gem of a find.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Well the FX101 story starts here..(and continues through out the pages)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-sony-mh1c-are-for-real-pg-283-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182/1425#post_8395797
I think you should check them out, many seem happy and you maybe able to save some dollars. Hippo VB reviews can be found using our search feature, be aware they're a gamble as many people have suffered channel imbalance problems recently, but if they work I know they'd be perfect. Also Turbines reviews can be found using the search. But most importantly have a look at VB and Turbines reviews in this thread from ljokerl, his reviews are really trust worthy. Honestly I don't know if Turbines will cut the mustard for you in bass the VB's I know will work but you have that problem to run risk with. Fisher Audio Eterna is another option as mentioned above."
Here's the thread, you'll find reviews on most in here....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-262-iems-compared-ultimate-ears-ue-900-added-10-28-12
Though seriously look into the JVC FX101, because they're apparently a real gem of a find.

I'm having a hard time deciding: now it's between the MEelectronics M31 based off of what joker said, and the JVC FX101 based off of what you said. These are probably my final decisions. What do you think has more bass and sounds good for what I listen to? (reminder: dance, techno, house, dubstep, D&B etc)

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm having a hard time deciding: now it's between the MEelectronics M31 based off of what joker said, and the JVC FX101 based off of what you said. These are probably my final decisions. What do you think has more bass and sounds good for what I listen to? (reminder: dance, techno, house, dubstep, D&B etc)

I've had the M31, it's not a bad choice. It's more mid-bass and punch focused than FX101 which leans more towards sub-bass rumble. I think the build quality on the M31 is nicer and probably a better feel with the metal housings. I think M31 would be my choice of the two.

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 13
I've had the M31, it's not a bad choice. It's more mid-bass and punch focused than FX101 which leans more towards sub-bass rumble. I think the build quality on the M31 is nicer and probably a better feel with the metal housings. I think M31 would be my choice of the two.

Sounds good, m31 it is. Thanks for the educated decision, this is why I love head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back