Anyone with a Big O?
Jun 15, 2002 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Does anyone on this board have an Orpheus? Just wondering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 23
Yes, there are two somebodys out there that own the Big O...and the R10s to boot.
eek.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Yes, there are two somebodys out there that own the Big O...and the R10s to boot.
eek.gif

Wouldn't that fry the R10s? :wink:

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 23
No, since one runs the R10 off the EAR HP4, and the other runs it off a Holmes Powell DCT-1...
eek.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 23
I own the R10/HP4 combo and an Orpheus.

Neither fries the other! They just have different strengths and weaknesses.

I guess there must be about 6 R10 owners here and 3 (maybe 4) Orpheus owners here.

--Jatinder

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 23
I think they wasted a hell of a lot of cash if you ask me.

I was reffering above to plugging in the R10s to the Orpheus amp (not that it's physically possible).

I bet the R10s with the HP4 really kicks ass. I would consider that a better value than the Orpheus. I *really* thought the HP4 with HD600s and a Cardas or Equinox cable smoked the Orpheus and for a LOT less cash!

Maybe the Orpheus needed some tube rolling but at that price it should ship with the perfect tubes!! Conversly perhaps the HP4 I heard had exceptional tubes.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:15 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
There are 4 Orpheus users here? Do they never come out of the shadows?
smily_headphones1.gif

As KR hinted at, maybe they just don't want to tease us.

Also, maybe they're too busy listening to music.

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
I *really* thought the HP4 with HD600s and a Cardas or Equinox cable smoked the Orpheus and for a LOT less cash!

Maybe the Orpheus needed some tube rolling but at that price it should ship with the perfect tubes!! Conversly perhaps the HP4 I heard had exceptional tubes.

I agree I heard them both in Boston and prefered the HP4 to the O. At least for vocals. So let's see Blockhead you need a new source(balanced) and your basically "stuck" with one set of phones. HP4 a little more flexable. Anyone every use Ety's with a HP4?

Jun 16, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 23
I owned an Orpheus for a short time and loved every minute of it.I had to sell it to my brother to keep from being murdered by my wife.Even though I could afford it and got the killer deal of a lifetime,my wife wasn't having it.she says to this day I better not ever bring it back.I actually listened to it this morning.It still sounds awesome and it is the best headphone system.period.I did like the EAR very much and thought it sounded better than the Cary when I heard them both at the chicago tour stop.my brother barely uses it and really doesn't listen to his very high end system much either.He's too busy making the money to afford it all.that's my story and I don't have nothin' else to say about it.

Jun 16, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer

I think they wasted a hell of a lot of cash if you ask me.

I bet the R10s with the HP4 really kicks ass. I would consider that a better value than the Orpheus.

I *really* thought the HP4 with HD600s and a Cardas or Equinox cable smoked the Orpheus and for a LOT less cash!

One things for sure: It is very easy to be fooled during a short audition period.

To really appreciate anything (headphones in this case), it's probably mandatory to spend as long as possible with it. An hour or two probably isn't enough. A case in point is the Stax Omega II, I really loved it on first hearing and thought it easily better than the Orpheus. Over the course of a few days, all of its flaws became apparent. So - it may be very good in some systems and with some types of music - but overall it's pretty horrible in my system. It took me 4 three-hour listening sessions to discover this.

The R10/HP4 combo certainly does "kick ass" and I'm sure most people who've heard it and the Orpheus (etc) would agree that the R10/HP4 is much better value for money than an Orpheus.

It does depend to some degree on how much the Orpheus was bought for though...

No headphone system will ever be perfect. Eventually it comes down to ones personal preferences.

And I like chrome. So there.

--Jatinder

Jun 16, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Why is the word "value" even used when we're talking about the Orpheus? Obviously a $14k headphone system is at the height of diminishing returns. It's a horrible value compared to the JMT CMOY/KSC-35 combo. So what? If you're looking for the best value, definitely stick to the low end. The Orpheus is, without a doubt, the best headphone system I've heard so far.

Now... do any of you guys think your R10/amp combos are better than the Orpheus on an absolute scale (ie, money no object)? That'd be a better question to see answered in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back