Anyone walk through a major blizzard?
Dec 21, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Speex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're lucky you have snow... here we just get rain and heatwaves....
frown.gif

I would never consider myself lucky for having snow. I would prefer rain and heatwaves any time of the year.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 30
Hello from Preston, Northern England in the UK, It's been snowing or trying to snow for the last couple of days. Yesterday I had 4mm, today I have good 4" which is very rare for us indeed (it's still falling with more to come) - Nice all the same though.

If we get 10mm in the UK, the country comes to a complete stand still, motorways grind to a halt, railways cease to function and airports are closed - LOL !!

God know what we'd do if we saw 2ft of the stuff, it would be a national emergency and the shops would run out of food.
wink.gif

The last time I saw significant (2ft plus) was in the winter of 1976/77 (the year of the big drought in 76) - That's how rare really deep snow is in the UK, I was eight at the time; now I'm in my early forties....

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 30
Yeah, I have.
In my younger years my father quite often came with me on skiing trips in the mountains. On several occasions we ran into some quite horrible blizzards. Fresh snow in the air, strong wind and fog...

Always found our way back to the cabin though, although we struggled hard a couple of times.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never consider myself lucky for having snow. I would prefer rain and heatwaves any time of the year.

LOL, I prefer snow over heat and humidity.

Dec 22, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello from Preston, Northern England in the UK, It's been snowing or trying to snow for the last couple of days. Yesterday I had 4mm, today I have good 4" which is very rare for us indeed (it's still falling with more to come) - Nice all the same though.

If we get 10mm in the UK, the country comes to a complete stand still, motorways grind to a halt, railways cease to function and airports are closed - LOL !!

God know what we'd do if we saw 2ft of the stuff, it would be a national emergency and the shops would run out of food.
wink.gif

The last time I saw significant (2ft plus) was in the winter of 1976/77 (the year of the big drought in 76) - That's how rare really deep snow is in the UK, I was eight at the time; now I'm in my early forties....

Well overnight we had another 4" of snow and it's still falling on and off, however I've witnessed the most amazing sight - Thundersnow !! Lightening, thunder & snow all at the same time !

I'd never heard of it before and was so surprised I had to google, it to see if such a thing was possible!!

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #23 of 30
The storm we had over the weekend was thunder snow. I've only seen it a few other times. The snow we got here in DC, 20 inches or 50cm, closed everything for 3 days. Mass transit, both buses and above ground Metro stops, weren't running from Saturday until Monday afternoon. Schools are closed all week.

My neighbor owns an LP store in DC and he had to walk 2 miles though the snow Saturday coming home. His sales were half of normal on his 2 busiest days of the year.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #24 of 30
Last year and the year before were both fun with half of my plaza being under construction so getting off the bus at work meant getting off the bus a mile's walk down the street. This being 7AM, the sidewalks were not plowed and street may have been the night before, but not that morning! Then the my afternoon guys wimped out on coming in (They live within a few blocks of the Store, while I live across the bloody city), so I ended up working a thirteen hour shift! But we ended up just slacking off for the most of the day anyway.

Not sure the exact amount of snow, but it was around the knee or above level and not at all fun to walk through!

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well overnight we had another 4" of snow and it's still falling on and off, however I've witnessed the most amazing sight - Thundersnow !! Lightening, thunder & snow all at the same time !

I'd never heard of it before and was so surprised I had to google, it to see if such a thing was possible!!

I've encountered that a couple times in Denver. Very strange indeed seeing lightning and hearing thunder while it's snowing.

On the OP's topic, I've walked through blizzards a few times. Not fun, but had no choice. The snow on the ground was rarely the real problem, even if it was a couple feet. It was the wind blowing the snow at me and making it difficult to see that was the real issue. I'm fully expecting there to be a blizzard towards the end of winter or in the spring, though, and unless I luck out and it falls early in the week, I will be out in it.

Dec 23, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #29 of 30
I went to school on lake Ontario in Oswego so you pretty much described day to day life from November to April. It's an experience.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #30 of 30
I walked 17 miles to school every day through blizzards when there was 6 feet of snow on the ground and I was only 4 feet tall, and it was all uphill, both ways! The snow got so deep that the horses would pull our carriage right over the barbed wire fence at our farm like it wasn't even there, and that was in the summer!

Man, I miss my Grandma and her stories...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back