Anyone walk through a major blizzard?
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
It snowed about 10 inches here yesterday and I could not go anywhere with my car. I was stranded since the neighborhood street was not plowed. I wanted to get a little food and beer at the supermarket and it was about 30 minutes away by foot. I made sure I wore boots since the snow was getting knee deep. I carried my back pack to carry the stuff. The wind was fierce and in my face and nobody was outside since the weather was extreme. I felt like an explorer from the turn of the century trying to find refuge from the battling snow. I wasn't cold since walking through knee deep snow is like a work out in the gym. Nature is powerful and can take lives but I enjoyed the experience.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 30
A real blizzard with low visibility I've only been in while skiing and it was pretty scary. I've also been in a white out in fog when skiing. It's pretty scary because it's hard to tell up from down and whether or not you're moving.

When I've had shelter during a blizzard, I've stayed inside. I have walked though deep snow a number of times. I'll probably do it today at some point. We had 20 inches. I will be doing some tomorrow because I doubt our dead end street will be plowed. I'll have to walk about 1/4 mile along unplowed streets to get to a major street.

My neighbor owns an LP store in DC and, since this is his busiest weekend of the year, he had to open. Since his shop is in a mixed residential neighborhood, he said he had a lot of business. However, when he came home, Metro had closed all above ground tracks. The closest below ground station is 2 miles away and he had to walk home.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 30
I've done it before as A) I live in Canada and B) I walk everywhere. Lots of fun with music blaring on a pair of iems... anything Tarja Turunen is involved with (Nightwish, her solo project) is great snowfall music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 30
You're lucky you have snow... here we just get rain and heatwaves....
frown.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It snowed about 10 inches here yesterday and I could not go anywhere with my car. I was stranded since the neighborhood street was not plowed. I wanted to get a little food and beer at the supermarket and it was about 30 minutes away by foot. I made sure I wore boots since the snow was getting knee deep. I carried my back pack to carry the stuff. The wind was fierce and in my face and nobody was outside since the weather was extreme. I felt like an explorer from the turn of the century trying to find refuge from the battling snow. I wasn't cold since walking through knee deep snow is like a work out in the gym. Nature is powerful and can take lives but I enjoyed the experience.

It's one of the few things I like about outdoor chores having to get done in the winter time rather than summer. In summer, it's too hot and muggy after exerting yourself, but in the winter, if dressed warmly, the exertion will keep you warm and happy (relatively
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 30
It would have been easier if I had ski goggles and a face mask since the snowflakes were big and the wind was blasting it in my face. I basically wraped my face with a large scarf the old fashioned way like in during colonial times.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 30
I have to do it more frequently than I like. Walking to class always sucks after 6 inches of snow.

Also driving in a blizzard is scary. 4 wheel drive at 5 mph and still going sideways everywhere.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done it before as A) I live in Canada and B) I walk everywhere.

^^^ Same here, I do it way more then I would like every year. Not so bad actually, just slows me down a bit.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 30
I grew up in Canada, so walking through a blizzard was a common occurrence. My city would never cancel school no matter how much it snowed.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 30
I grew up in New Brunswick, Canada, in an area not so affectionately called the "snow belt". Believe me, it has earned that name. I've walked through several blizzards a year, particularly when I was a kid. 10 inches was actually pretty common. I've both driven and walked in such conditions.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 30
Last night in NewYork..... over 2 feet of snow left this morning, and over 40mph winds.
What a pita to shovel today!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back