Anyone using Arcam irDAC & what do you think of it?
Mar 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #91 of 134
check out the fliers of both and see the build quality, there a lot of cost cutting and the 9016 is not even on the same level as the outgoing burr brown 1796. 
and then the freq resp.

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #92 of 134
Guys I too am thinking of buying the Arcam irDAC. Have heard a lot of positive about it. Also I plan to match it with Burson Audio Amp for my HD800. Our good dear friend nephilim32

convinced me real bad so  i will go forward for the buy.
 I too may order on Ebay from Italian seller based at Torino who is quoting $445 as of now with free shipping.:wink:

Hey!! I bought mine a couple years back from the same seller. He has the best price. Nice job. I can vouch for this seller. You'll get your DAC in one piece!

Also. I'm hearing some interesting comments about the irDAC 2 where the ESS 9018 chip is makes the DAC staging less warm sounding than the original?
If this true. Grab the irdac 1 because the warmer the DAC and less thin the better the pairing for what you wanna get (HD 800 and Burson. :wink:
Lol now I'm curious to hear the irDAC 2.
But hey, 445$ for irDAC 1 !!!! That's an amazing deal. I paid more then. 150$ more. Lol.

Think maybe you should jump on this. Also, the direct iPod a-synchronous USB link is really great. Put all your files in WAV on any IOS device that you have and enjoy the some awesome convienance of scrolling through your library without using a computer. You can buy some USB extension cables if you sit far away from your rig. :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #93 of 134
Hey!! I bought mine a couple years back from the same seller. He has the best price. Nice job. I can vouch for this seller. You'll get your DAC in one piece!

Also. I'm hearing some interesting comments about the irDAC 2 where the ESS 9018 chip is makes the DAC staging less warm sounding than the original?
If this true. Grab the irdac 1 because the warmer the DAC and less thin the better the pairing for what you wanna get (HD 800 and Burson.
wink.gif

But hey, 445$ for irDAC 1 !!!! That's an amazing deal. I paid more then. 150$ more. Lol.

Think maybe you should jump on this. Also, the direct iPod a-synchronous USB link is really great. Put all your files in WAV on any IOS device that you have and enjoy the some awesome convienance of scrolling through your library without using a computer. You can buy some USB extension cables if you sit far away from your rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

or use a bluetooth receiver with tussling and connect to the optical of the IRDAC now everything comes in digital ,I do that and pair it to my monitors and amps what ever read, you can get something for around 50 euro.

the italian guy is good i got it from him. a month ago.

Mar 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #94 of 134

If this true. Grab the irdac 1 because the warmer the DAC and less thin the better the pairing for what you wanna get (HD 800 and Burson.
wink.gif

Think maybe you should jump on this. Also, the direct iPod a-synchronous USB link is really great. Put all your files in WAV on any IOS device that you have and enjoy the some awesome convienance of scrolling through your library without using a computer. You can buy some USB extension cables if you sit far away from your rig.
smily_headphones1.gif

the irDAC II had 9016 which is inferior to the 9018 which actually competed with the 1796 which was in the irDAC 

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #95 of 134

wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

I agree there the Burr Brown chip is warmer and the Dac is best suited for the Hd800. I made up my mind to grab the iRDac version 1 only. Expect for the missing DSD file etc I think all is good . I parted with my iPod 5th Gen long way back but continue to hold IOS devices like iphone 6+ (hope it is compatible). Guess what this Italian Ebay seller is giving me further discount and my total cost is working out to 350Euros  with free EMS shipping. I am going to firm it within a day. My next target will be the Burson Solist SL.
biggrin.gif

or use a bluetooth receiver with tussling and connect to the optical of the IRDAC now everything comes in digital ,I do that and pair it to my monitors and amps what ever read, you can get something for around 50 euro.

the italian guy is good i got it from him. a month ago.

Somehow I am not comfortable with Hd music transfer over the Bluetooth. I have few APTX low latency 4.0 bluetooth devices but sending music wirelessly always creates signal loss and interferences. So I guess I shall stick to the iRDac Gen 1.
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #96 of 134

the irDAC II had 9016 which is inferior to the 9018 which actually competed with the 1796 which was in the irDAC 

That is why you all have the better Arcam irDac version 1. So enjoy the same. The new version in my opinion with Sabre chip will not fetch large buyers.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #98 of 134
Has anyone compared the Arcam irDac to the Mojo. I want to know the difference for my own satisfaction. Thanks

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #99 of 134
I agree there the Burr Brown chip is warmer and the Dac is best suited for the Hd800. I made up my mind to grab the iRDac version 1 only. Expect for the missing DSD file etc I think all is good . I parted with my iPod 5th Gen long way back but continue to hold IOS devices like iphone 6+ (hope it is compatible). Guess what this Italian Ebay seller is giving me further discount and my total cost is working out to 350Euros  with free EMS shipping. I am going to firm it within a day. My next target will be the Burson Solist SL.:D

Somehow I am not comfortable with Hd music transfer over the Bluetooth. I have few APTX low latency 4.0 bluetooth devices but sending music wirelessly always creates signal loss and interferences. So I guess I shall stick to the iRDac Gen 1.:wink:

It will work with the I phone 6! Np
But let me warn you. You are putting together a very revealing headphone rig and a lot of mp3 files in 320kps will sound like garbage. It will reveal the lousy and strong compression rate and lack of realism in your music. WAV or FLAC or ALAC only. Trust me! You and I are gonna be headphone synergy brothers. Lol.

Lastly. I find it funny they made ya change your avatar name spelling. Can't say ****. Oops. Schiit. That's ok. Lol.

Mar 17, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #100 of 134
It will work with the I phone 6! Np
But let me warn you. You are putting together a very revealing headphone rig and a lot of mp3 files in 320kps will sound like garbage. It will reveal the lousy and strong compression rate and lack of realism in your music. WAV or FLAC or ALAC only. Trust me! You and I are gonna be headphone synergy brothers. Lol.

Lastly. I find it funny they made ya change your avatar name spelling. Can't say ****. Oops. Schiit. That's ok. Lol.

To tell you the truth my whole Music library is lossless only Flac & higher. I donot have a single mp3. Dumped mp3 long time back haha. Yes I like the title you gave us. In fact I like it  Cheers :)

Yeah lots of people told me my name was only visible with *. So I requested the Admin to change it as the word filter was not accepting the earlier spelling haha.

Mar 17, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #101 of 134
I agree there the Burr Brown chip is warmer and the Dac is best suited for the Hd800. I made up my mind to grab the iRDac version 1 only. Expect for the missing DSD file etc I think all is good . I parted with my iPod 5th Gen long way back but continue to hold IOS devices like iphone 6+ (hope it is compatible). Guess what this Italian Ebay seller is giving me further discount and my total cost is working out to 350Euros  with free EMS shipping. I am going to firm it within a day. My next target will be the Burson Solist SL.:D

Somehow I am not comfortable with Hd music transfer over the Bluetooth. I have few APTX low latency 4.0 bluetooth devices but sending music wirelessly always creates signal loss and interferences. So I guess I shall stick to the iRDac Gen 1.:wink:

Iam using a bt 3.0 with aptx... Whatever. And it send digital there is no loss. Why you presume there would be losses and where exactly ? The transmission is digital and then via tosslink to the irdac.

Mar 17, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #102 of 134
Iam using a bt 3.0 with aptx... Whatever. And it send digital there is no loss. Why you presume there would be losses and where exactly ? The transmission is digital and then via tosslink to the irdac.

The Bluetooth Aptx technology is still at a startup stage. Many in the sound industry are not giving much importance to the Aptx technology the way it should have been. I personally feel the loss because I hear strutters sometimes and missing of the wireless relay of sound /music. I would as of now like to stick to the wires unless something great happens.
If you see Apple as already trying to promote wireless bluetooth headphones and IEMS however there are not much takers. So Companies like Aurdrez has launched worlds first lighting cable for IOS devices which as a inbuilt DAC in the wire itself. Cheers

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #103 of 134
  Has anyone compared the Arcam irDac to the Mojo. I want to know the difference for my own satisfaction. Thanks

I had an irDac and replaced it with the Mojo, I didn't have both at the same time since the irDac went back two days before the Mojo arrived, this wouldn't be a proper comparison but the Mojo sounds better and more musical, I found the Arcam to be a bit to aggressive (for my taste at least).
Arcam little box is nice, remote is functional and all those inputs are handy a proper desktop DAC. Mojo is this little thing that seems odd on a dekstop but I would have to say I'm happy with my decision.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #104 of 134

I had an irDac and replaced it with the Mojo, I didn't have both at the same time since the irDac went back two days before the Mojo arrived, this wouldn't be a proper comparison but the Mojo sounds better and more musical, I found the Arcam to be a bit to aggressive (for my taste at least).
Arcam little box is nice, remote is functional and all those inputs are handy a proper desktop DAC. Mojo is this little thing that seems odd on a dekstop but I would have to say I'm happy with my decision.

Thats great..  Thanks for your input.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #105 of 134
I like my Arcam irDAC.  Has anyone tried using it with an "upgraded" (linear?) power supply?  If so, what did you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back