Anyone using an amp with their iAudio X5?
Jun 24, 2005 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
Just ordered a iAudio X5, and was wondering if anyone who already has one is using a portable amp with, and what kind, performance, etc.? Thanks for replies...

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 24
I'm using my X5 with an SM3 (627 op amps) and super.fi 5pros. I'm happy with sound but haven't really done much listening without the amp to see how much difference it makes. Any particular questions you've got?

Jun 24, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillC
I'm using my X5 with an SM3 (627 op amps) and super.fi 5pros. I'm happy with sound but haven't really done much listening without the amp to see how much difference it makes. Any particular questions you've got?

Hey Bill,

That the exact same set-up I have on my SM3...I use my Westone Um2's exclusively, though. Are you running it through the dock thing that you stick in the bottom of the X5? I really liked the performance of the dedicated line-out on my iRiver iHP-120 (R.I.P., sobbing at least until Tuesday of next week). Are you doing much with the equalizer? And, are you quite happy with the X5? Thanks for the reply...

Jun 24, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 24
I've been using the headphone out into the SM3. The subpack is friction fit and just doesn't seem secure enough for me for general use. I've just ordered a cradle that I'm planning to put on my desk at work. I'll use the line-out on the cradle when it gets here.

I don't generally use equalizers much - although I've currently got just a bit of boost in the treble running to add a bit of sparkle to the super.fi pros.

And yes, I'm very happy with the X5. I'd been using an iRiver H10 previous to this which I've now given to my wife. Sound quality is excellent, build quality appears to be quite high. Support for flac and the fact that the player appears on Windows as a standard USB drive are the two things that really make me prefer this player over the H10.

Jun 24, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 24
Hye guys!
280smile.gif

i own an ipod now and i use it with the sennheisers HD-25. I find the volume more than sufficient but the sound gets wacked up when i use any of the EQ settings...it works best without any EQ but it sounds too flat for my taste and the soundstage seems quite limited. I am wondering if the iAudio X5 sounds better....so its a toss up between getting the cowon or running a portable amp out of the ipod with line out adapter...

does anyone have an idea which solution is better?

i am also wondering if it would make any difference in sound quality if i run a portable amp out of the ipod or the cowon from their line outs....:s22:

features aside...if sound is the only thing i care about....

hope you guys can offer some answers! thanks! :s11:

by the way...is the lineout dock for the cowon too flimsy to drop the whole setup in my bag with a portable amp attached to it?

Jun 27, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 24
Aw man, I just got my iAudio X5...what a stunner!!! All that talk I heard about the size of the extended battery 30G...forget it...this thing is QUITE SMALL. It certainly makes my iRiver iHP-120 (R.I.P.) look the behemoth. Just rammin' some cd's into right now, can't wait to listen with 'phones and amp!

Jun 27, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 24
So jealous...waiting for mine on Wednesday, 20gig L version. Rescheduled delivery from tomorrow...want it now!! PLEASE give us some feedback on the sound quality asap!!

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruggerio79
so its a toss up between getting the cowon or running a portable amp out of the ipod with line out adapter...

does anyone have an idea which solution is better?

i am also wondering if it would make any difference in sound quality if i run a portable amp out of the ipod or the cowon from their line outs....:s22:

features aside...if sound is the only thing i care about....

hope you guys can offer some answers! thanks! :s11:

by the way...is the lineout dock for the cowon too flimsy to drop the whole setup in my bag with a portable amp attached to it?

I've never listened to an iPod so I can't help but there are plenty of people who are very happy with iPod/line-out/amp so I'd suggest picking up an amp before you swap players. If you're still unhappy, then you can look at trading out players.

With regards to the lineout dock for the X5, I don't think it would stay attached if you just dropped it into a bag without some sort of mod. The subpack is just a friction fit connector and there's nothing to keep it from getting pulled out of the bottom of the X5.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 24
I wonder how long it will take for the secret to get out about the X5L (I guess some advertising may help), this is one bad-ass DAP!!! The sound is incredible, I'm running it through my Westone UM2's right now, with no amp, and it is totally ROCKIN'! Clean, clear, LOUD, too. What a pleasant surprise this has been...well worth the coin.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #10 of 24
uncle b, what other players have you had? What can you compare it to as far as SQ goes? Sounds excellent, I guess im just incredibly anxious and impatient for mine to come and i need to hear more great things about it to keep me sane, lol.
Also, some questions...

In terms of the file-tree organization, is it possible to make a folder called "Albums" and place shortcuts to albums in that folder, while also having a standard Artists folder where I can go through by artist >> then album? Are shortcuts completely out of the question?

Can the usb port on the player itself, used for otg, be used to add playable music files to the player rather than using the mini-dock thing? I think I read a post somewhere where someone did that, but I was unsure.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle b
I wonder how long it will take for the secret to get out about the X5L (I guess some advertising may help), this is one bad-ass DAP!!! The sound is incredible, I'm running it through my Westone UM2's right now, with no amp, and it is totally ROCKIN'! Clean, clear, LOUD, too. What a pleasant surprise this has been...well worth the coin.

i see you had an ihp-120. i currently have an ihp-100 and use it with my westone UM2's. how does the X5L's sound quality w/o amp compare to the iriver regarding the UM2's?

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbf1138
uncle b, what other players have you had? What can you compare it to as far as SQ goes? Sounds excellent, I guess im just incredibly anxious and impatient for mine to come and i need to hear more great things about it to keep me sane, lol.
Also, some questions...

In terms of the file-tree organization, is it possible to make a folder called "Albums" and place shortcuts to albums in that folder, while also having a standard Artists folder where I can go through by artist >> then album? Are shortcuts completely out of the question?

Can the usb port on the player itself, used for otg, be used to add playable music files to the player rather than using the mini-dock thing? I think I read a post somewhere where someone did that, but I was unsure.

Alright, here goes... no order

Yes, there is a USG Host port on the side for otg, I've just had in the mini-dock just for charging today.

I'm not sure about the shortcuts, but it seems like you can do that, I've just been ramming as much music as I can all day...

And now my favorite part...THE SOUND. Oh, it is INCREDIBLE. OK, I've owned a recent model iRiver flash player, an iRiver iHP-120 (R.I.P.), and a Zen Micro, the X5 is...BY FAR...the absolute best sounding of the bunch. Lemme tell you, I was very happy with the size, performance, and most of all, sound of the iHP-120, but I am quite sure the X5 is WAY better. I really haven't fiddled around with the EQ much, other than to turn down the bass a little bit, it was kinda booming.

You'll be REAL happy when you get this thing...

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me
i see you had an ihp-120. i currently have an ihp-100 and use it with my westone UM2's. how does the X5L's sound quality w/o amp compare to the iriver regarding the UM2's?

Read my post above, I'm tellin' you, the Westone's are soundin' real good with neither of my amps even hooked up yet.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 24
Now there is only one thing stopping me from getting the X5 and giving up my ipod - The line out dock.

If the line out dock doesnt stay locked to the X5, that is going to be quite the problem for me as i am the "throw it in the bag and go" kind of guy..

Unless the SQ of the X5 is really so good that listening through an amp via the line out wouldn't make a difference?
confused.gif

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 24
Well, bye bye Zen Micro for me. Main reason I bought it was cause I wanted to stick with Creative for their SQ, but if the X5 is that good, then I'll be amazed. Thanks for making me wish it was Wednesday even more.

Also, please test the shortcut thing out...so far i havent seen that idea or functionality mentioned anywhere...i feel like that could open a whole new gateway into how the x5 is browsed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back