Anyone use a Dell Axim as a PDAP? Comparison with CD Players or mainstream DAPs?
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Veniogenesis

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering, does anyone here use a Dell Axim (specifically X50 here) as a PDAP?
tongue.gif
I think the sound quality is pretty crappy during the few minutes I've experienced, but as I haven't had much experience with other DAP other than the X5 and iPods, how do you guys think the sound quality compares with say, most Flash-based MP3 players or low-end Sony CD-Players?

Reason being:
Should I get some extra memory cards for my PDA and use that as a DAP instead of buying a new Flash-based MP3 player?

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #2 of 7
i used my X50v for about 6 months (then i proceded to run over it with a car). to me, it had the best sound i've heard. much richer, "fuller" sound than my zen micro or my computer (audigy). it had a lot more bass and with some programs (i used gsplayer2 and x50mix) it had a very nice equalizer (it was 10 bands, though if you want more pocketmusic has 20 bands). if it had more storage, i would never need another DAP.

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 7
I found just the opposite.

The axim was a major PITA to use quickly to change songs, etc... and the sound quality was significantly less to my ears when comapred to my Zen Micro.

So bad, that I didn't even listen to music portably while my Zen was in repair.

BTW I have an X50v

Mar 21, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I don't own one personally but my dad has an X30 for work and I think it sounds awful. The sound is definitely lacking in richness and power with the PX100 I tried with it.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 7
So apparently there is a hardware based equalizer for the Dell Axim X50v.
http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=61035

I tried it for a hour or so. Wow, such a huge improvement. I can now actually "fake" my way through to an enjoyable listening experience. It sure beats low-end mainstream CD players. Some people might even prefer the hyper-equalizing effects over MP3 players such as the iPod. Of course, to the audiophile, the lack of details is obvious. But there is a certain "groovylizing" effect going on here.

Hmm, interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back