Anyone try the kenwood mg-f516?
Jul 22, 2010 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ExpatinJapan

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw the kenwood mg-f516 whilst I was in a store sampling the Cowon J3. Anyone have any experience with the kenwood players?

//////Kenwood introduced  3 new models of [size=11px !important]digital audio player[/size] (DAP) for theMG-Series F500: The F516-MG, MG-MG-F508 and F504.  this new line-up has 4 GB / 8 GB / 16 GB of internal memory.

For info, the Kenwood MG-F500 is an affordable DAP has a 2 inch TFT screen, a microSD / SDHC card slot (up to 16GB), an equalizer with 6 presets (Bass / Pop / Rock / Jazz / Dance / Voice), 3 customizable EQ, USB 2.0, one 3.5 mm headphone jack with 7mWx2 output and supports MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV, JPEG and BMP media files.

Finally, our audio player has a lithium-ion battery that provides 50 hours of life, 6 preset EQ (BASS / POP / ROCK / JAZZ / DANCE / voice) and 3 customizable EQ and provide an output power 7mWx2 helmet. Note that the menu language can be changed into English.///////

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 31

I have also seen these at places like Bic Kamera and Yodobashi. I own an older HDD model Kenwood released in 2005. At that time it was marketed as an audiophile DAP, and while it might not be the one to rule them all it is a very nice sounding DAP. I have also got a Cowon S9 and the HD20GA7 sounds much more natural in its presentation.

I have not heard the later flash DAP:s from Kenwood. Here's a review from last year. While it seems nice in a basic way with no video playback and stuff like that, it has got nothing that my HDD Kenwood does not have (besides not being dependent on the awful Kenwood Media Application as the Kenwood HDD models were).

Perhaps you could go back and ask to sample a Kenwood player and compare it to a J3?

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 31
one chinese from chinese forum claim that this model support line-out, the screen will said that the volume is in static status or something like that.
i hope whoever has this model, please checking it if it is real line out or not

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 31
I have it. Compared to sflo2, it has a bit less soundstage and instrument separation but has better mids and highs. Bass is somewhat a tie. Obviously the sflo goes a lot louder but the kenwood has no problems driving cans around 16-40 ohms. Though a little more power and flac support would make this dap the bomb. In terms of sound quality, It beats my ipod mini & ipod touch 3g hands down compared through normal eq. The control buttons are very sturdy and there is also a volume control on the side. The UI is very simple and very easy to use. Battery life reached around 48 hours continously played through shuffle at 24/30 volume before it went off which is very accurate on the description (50 hours). It has everything i need in a portable dap. Here is my portable setup. I have no regrets

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 31
copy paste from chinese forum

[size=9pt] KENWOOD flash new machine F504 have LINE OUT! Thrust is no longer a cup with.[/size]

Noon break back to the company, nothing else to the Little Dot M + amp plug on the F504, try effectiveness, and then find they can not adjust the volume, and is surprised, and then find the volume of F504 was transferred to the maximum, and written beside the Fixed! ! F504 can automatically detect the amplification circuit? ? ? ? True too strong, a port can switch between the PO with the LO! ! We Come to confirm my view it!
On the map, note that the maximum volume, next to the written FIXED

i hope whoever own this unit, please test it if it is a real line out or not

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 31

Quote:
kenwood never support loseless format, except their own KLAC for their past HD series

F516 does support WAV, but not ape, flac, so as the old HD series which I owned.

About linout, as far as I know, it auto detect the input of amp and fix the volume at max as you said, so you need a amp which is able to control volume.

SQ is good,  but not on par with old HD series which I think it is best SQ I have even listened to

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/products/home_audio/personal/mg_f516_508_504/index.html

I can't read Japanese as well, just search WAV in above page, you will know it does support

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
I have it. Compared to sflo2, it has a bit less soundstage and instrument separation but has better mids and highs. Bass is somewhat a tie. Obviously the sflo goes a lot louder but the kenwood has no problems driving cans around 16-40 ohms. Though a little more power and flac support would make this dap the bomb. In terms of sound quality, It beats my ipod mini & ipod touch 3g hands down compared through normal eq. The control buttons are very sturdy and there is also a volume control on the side. The UI is very simple and very easy to use. Battery life reached around 48 hours continously played through shuffle at 24/30 volume before it went off which is very accurate on the description (50 hours). It has everything i need in a portable dap. Here is my portable setup. I have no regrets

That is why you sold me S:FLO2 ^^

How about line out? Have you tried it yet?

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #10 of 31
For anyone outside of Japan who are interested at it

I know there is place where is very reliable and runs forwarding services to worldwide.

http://search.borderless.rakuten.com/borderless/search.action?l=en&tl=0&m=false&p=1&vm=2&f=0&sm=0&k=kenwood+mg-f516&fs=1

It translates all information to English.

The total of shipping (EMS) and handling fee to USA should be aroudn 20--30USD according information it lists. Makes total cost around 180USD

It is tempting, but I am just little out of cash for now after buying headstage arrow HE 12

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 31
well amazon japan has the 16gb (black) for 141$ and then you can use tenso for 15$ making it 156$. Anyone from japan know a site that has it for a lower price beside amazon jp?:

Jul 23, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
well amazon japan has the 16gb (black) for 141$ and then you can use tenso for 15$ making it 156$. Anyone from japan know a site that has it for a lower price beside amazon jp?:

156USD .Sweet. I say it is better deal than S:FLO2 if anyone want lineout for its potable system instead of ipod

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 31
Really tempted to get these and trying them out with a T3D. This player just screams for rockbox thought, which is more realistic on this player than having it for the sflo2 because it isn't touchscreen. I have no idea how that can be made possible thought.

'If the sq is really great, the only downsides for me are not having lossless support and to a lesser extent gapless.

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Really tempted to get these and trying them out with a T3D. This player just screams for rockbox thought, which is more realistic on this player than having it for the sflo2 because it isn't touchscreen. I have no idea how that can be made possible thought.

'If the sq is really great, the only downsides for me are not having lossless support and to a lesser extent gapless.

Yea, rock box would be nice

F516 does support WAV, but my album collection is mostly ape ape/ flac which is good
to imod and S:FLO2 I owns

I have no idea why most of  headfier like lean toward china production, like RE0, D10, S:FLO2, but never gives justice Japan audio product deserves

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 31

Quote:

F516 does support WAV, but not ape, flac, so as the old HD series which I owned.

About linout, as far as I know, it auto detect the input of amp and fix the volume at max as you said, so you need a amp which is able to control volume.

SQ is good,  but not on par with old HD series which I think it is best SQ I have even listened to

http://www.kenwood.co.jp/products/home_audio/personal/mg_f516_508_504/index.html

I can't read Japanese as well, just search WAV in above page, you will know it does support

Just for your info, WAV is not loseless, it is uncompressed !

you can use wikipedia to know which one is loseless and uncompressed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_file_format

flac, klac, alac, wma loseless, atrac, etc are loseless , wav is uncompressed.
and what he asked is loseless not uncompressed, many people prefer loseless for now because it save your storage by about 1/2-1/3 than WAV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back