Anyone try one of those micro laptops as a source?
Oct 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
My wife has an Asus EEE PC 900, a 8" screen 16 MB SSD laptop, or should I say palm top computer. I am thinking of trying it as a portable source , both with and with out a USB DAC. Any on e else try one as a source? There is also the Everex brand and a few others that are micro size.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #2 of 9
those are netbooks
smily_headphones1.gif

imho, they sound better than my desktop equipped with Audigy 2, at least on eeePC 701 i'm typing on now. 701 is equiped with Realtek ALC662.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 9
I was actually looking for a cheap laptop with coax or optical out for home use. I want to build a home rig with a laptop as source, hooked up to a DAC and tube amplifier. Haven't found any yet.

But for portable use.. no.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 9
If I ever get a netbook anytime soon I've pretty much decided on the Lenovo S10. You can upgrade the hard drive and ram very easily, and it has an express card slot so you can add a separate sound card.

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 9
I just got myself one of the Dell Mini's. Don't even think about using it's audio out. It is very noisy but using the USB with say a Boa can be very good. I am using it at work with my ESW9s and 10JPNs now. This is a great combination with my USB Passport 320 gig drive holding all my FLAC files.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are netbooks
smily_headphones1.gif

imho, they sound better than my desktop equipped with Audigy 2, at least on eeePC 701 i'm typing on now. 701 is equiped with Realtek ALC662.

I just tried it out, and does indeed sound very nice. I have some DAD recordings, I will have to try and copy them over and try it with 24/96 music.

Tim

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 9
I used to velcro a stax SRM-001 onto the back of my MSI Wind, but after i went to a 6 cell battery this made it topple over, so I have gone back to lugging the ipod combo round instead.

The stock speakers in the Wind are arguably the very worst I've ever heard from any device. No matter how poor the headphone rig, it'd be an improvement.

Oct 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by majurglery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only problem i would see with this is the low storage capacity that mini laptops have, but i guess you could always use portable HDD

Or an SD card -- I use a portable HDD for extended travel (hotels) and SDHC (8GB or 16GB) for day-to-day use with my Eee PC 901 XP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back