Anyone tried the Ultrasone 2500's w/ the Gilmore Lite?
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm awaiting the Gilmore Lite and currently own a pair of HD650's, but I'm starting to think that the 2500 are thee pair of headphones for me, reading all the posts about 'em. They seem to be right up my alley.
 
Mar 5, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 22

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
5,874
Likes
116
Proline 750 with two Gilmores here, GS-1 and GLite.
Sound okay, but I would never trade them for lovely HD650. Senns are just head and shoulders above them I wouldn't even dare to put them together.
If you want slightly brighter presentation with more emphasis on details 2005 DT880 would probably be a better, more balanced choice.

As closed headphones they are quite capable though, as there are not many players in that field. More fatiguing and not as smooth as my reference AKG-K271S though but more exciting.

YMMV
 
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 22

slwiser

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
6,317
Likes
24
Andrew

Everyone's head and shoulders are different after all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound okay, but I would never trade them for lovely HD650. Senns are just head and shoulders above them I wouldn't even dare to put them together.


YMMV



 
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 22

wovenhand

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Posts
1,091
Likes
11
I've heard that the DT880's are a bit TOO bright. From what I've gathered, the 2500's seem to be brighter -but not too bright- and more detailed than the HD650's. If you think you're 750's get fatiguing after I while, it's probably since they're closed.
I'm especially curious about the 2500/Gilmore Lite combo though, since many say that the HD650/Gilmore Lite combo is crazy synergetic - a match made in heaven (and I'll hopefully soon find out once the Gilmore arrives...).
So I'm wondering if the 2500's would benefit equally from a Gilmore? Or maybe not equally, but would there be any benefits..?
But there doesn't seem to be any Gilmore/2500 owners in the house.. ^^
 
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 22

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 2, 2004
Posts
2,983
Likes
87
Well, I'm still a bit puzzled by the claims that the Ultrasones are excessively bright, etc. I have the PROline 2500, and compared them to the Beyerdynamic DT 990 before selling the 990's. When going from the 2500's to the 990's, the 990's sounded very thin and bright. And from what I've read, the DT 880's are said to be thinner and brighter than the DT 990's. So putting those together it seems to me that the 2500's can't be brighter than the DT 880's. That said, I haven't had the chance to actually compare the 2500's to the DT 880's, so take my comments with a bit of skepticism.
 
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 22

spacemanspliff

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Posts
4,050
Likes
36
the brightness thing is subjective to the person. to me, they sound fine. the beyer 770 was brighter to me.

the only way to know is to try and if you don't like them selling would not be much of an effort.
basshead.gif
 
Mar 5, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 22

dw6928

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 13, 2005
Posts
2,083
Likes
10
Andrew, I own both 650s and 2500s and I'm afraid I disagree with you. They are very different but I find that they belong on the same table for comparison. Using a Heed amp I find
myself reaching for the Ultrasones as frequently as the Sennheisers. It depends on the musical genre more than anyting else. For orchestrals and symphony there is nothing better than 650s. For fun and exciting, the Ultrasone is every bit the 650s equal and on some days better.
 
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 22

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
5,874
Likes
116
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And from what I've read, the DT 880's are said to be thinner and brighter than the DT 990's.


That actually would be the other way around, 990 have more bass and treble, 880 more neutralized.
graphCompare.php
 
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 22

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
5,874
Likes
116
Quote:

Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew, I own both 650s and 2500s and I'm afraid I disagree with you. They are very different but I find that they belong on the same table for comparison. Using a Heed amp I find
myself reaching for the Ultrasones as frequently as the Sennheisers. It depends on the musical genre more than anyting else. For orchestrals and symphony there is nothing better than 650s. For fun and exciting, the Ultrasone is every bit the 650s equal and on some days better.



That's fine, taking extremes of their sound signatures I can see them complimenting each other. I just feel that DT880 having somehow similar to Ultrasones flavor can probably provide more detailed, refined and balanced presentation that's on par with Senns quality. But that might be due to the fact that I compare closed to open which is certainly not fair.
 
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 22

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Posts
5,853
Likes
35
Just this saturday I had the chance to listen to the Ultrasone 2500 on my GS-1 (similar to Glite). I couldn't stand them. There was this strange thing going on in the treble, like they were very metallic sounding and always shrill. No other headphone I have tried has sounded like this. Personally I would choose the DT880 over these.

Of course you may end up totally loving them.......
biggrin.gif
 
Mar 6, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 22

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
Joined
Jun 29, 2001
Posts
8,613
Likes
2,425
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just this saturday I had the chance to listen to the Ultrasone 2500 on my GS-1 (similar to Glite). I couldn't stand them. There was this strange thing going on in the treble, like they were very metallic sounding and always shrill. No other headphone I have tried has sounded like this.


Same thing happened to me on first listening. Six weeks later I was in love.
 
Mar 6, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 22

pageman99

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 7, 2006
Posts
607
Likes
13
Hmm...

I own the HD650's and the 2500's, but unforturnately not the Glite.

Rather than repeating myself, I'd suggest you check out the Neutral Observer, or whatever the heck I called it, thread, to get a few other impressions.

IMHO, I happen to think that with the 650 and 2500, you've got a huge percentage of sound signatures covered. Doubt there's any recording that won't be sounding great with one or the other.

Good luck!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top