Anyone tried the KSC75 with a silver cable?
Sep 30, 2010 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
A few days ago my precious Koss Pro DJ 100's internal cable got cut and I couldn't fix it no matter what I tried. I figured this would be an excuse to put a new silver cable on it. Well I got my cable and parts in the mail today and set out to fix it. I didn't even really know how to solder before today and it turns out it's quite easy. In the end I wasted all that money on the silver cable and I could only get sound out of one driver. It turns out the right one is blown somehow. All due to me being stupid. I spent all night on it, so now i'll have to buy another pair and I will. Not that I wanted to do that.

So I was thinking what I could do with all that silver cable. It turns out I recabled my KSC75 with it! All you do is pop off the clips and there's a plastic door that lets you access the wire and solder point. You don't even need to add any more solder. The only mistake I made was that I stripped off too much insulation, but it was easy to correct. You need just an extremely small section exposed.

The cable itself is so annoying. It's loud and annoying when it moves around. Feels like a thin metal coat hanger turned into a cable. I don't have it sleeved yet. Don't forget that BLACK shoestrings (kind with removable internals) can work as a sleeving for those on a budget.  In the end it may look like the cable on the Porta Pro.

The only reason I'm posting this is that I'm just pretty amazed with how huge of a difference there is. I figured no major changes would occur. I definitely don't think it's my imagination. A regular KSC75 doesn't sound this good. No way. No, I didn't pay a lot. About $40 or something and it wasn't for the KSC75.

First thing I noticed is that the soundstage is now huge. On some songs you get an echo and it's like you just know what kind of a room they're in and the shape of it and everything. On one song I kept hearing this sound that sounded as if it was a mile away and coming forward really fast. Other times you can hear echos and sound bouncing off walls. I don't know what's going on really. I don't see why a soundstage can change so much.

The sound is now excessively bright. It almost at times feels like one of the old Beyer headphones I had. It's a bit annoying now and I don't know how i'll deal with this. It's even "worse" then my Grado SR-80 without the mod. I don't like this much and will need to EQ it.

I don't like to go overboard but the level of detail is just jaw-dropping amazing. Night and day difference. Feels like my $20 clip-on transformed into a DT-800. Seriously. I mean just the detail. To even sound more cheesy, i've listened to some of my favorite singer's songs again and they're now different. It's now even a bit easier to spot poorly mastered songs or lower quality songs. The level of detail is now even higher then that of my Pro DJ 100 and a modded SR-80. Not sure about the AD-700 and DT-880. I'm one that believes though that sometimes too much detail isn't always good. Depends on the situation and if it's required. Like in a studio or whatever. Sometimes it's nice.

Bass seems to have increased by a lot. It's now about the same as the Porta Pro. I always felt that the KSC75 had a bit less bass then the Porta Pro, which is what I liked. Since the KSC75 is already a bit brighter then the Porta Pro (due to the Titanium driver) a silver cable might be bad. I can deal with it though for all the benefits.

No other mods were done except that I popped off my Porta Pro's speakers/drivers and replaced them with the KSC75 since that's what I prefer. So now I have my nice KSC75 in the Porta Pro headband. It's a heck of a lot better then that Parts Express headband I was using!

So yes, I now officially believe cables do make a huge difference. I myself still wouldn't pay over a hundred for one though. Depends on the headphone I guess.

KSC75 sure is one good sounding headphone, with or without the new cable.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 6
hello, thanks for your opinion
smily_headphones1.gif
  now im wondering where da hell can I get some good cable here in mexico....

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 6
You will probably have to resort to eBay or something.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 6
Link to what kind of silver cable you got?
So you got a huge boost in the lows and highs?  That really sound interesting, I feel like some of my headphones could use that since those are the parts that I EQ up right now.

Jan 26, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 6
@tdockweiler

Thanks for sharing your experience with recabling the Ksc75.
A great read and share. I certainly very much enjoyed it!

My comments are the same as your conclusion,  Recable the Ksc75/35 for a few dollars more and it brings a different life to it. If not;  I'll be chased for the rest of my life by others!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back