Anyone tried out these babies then?
May 14, 2006 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
Well I was having a look around eBay for the usual bargains and came across the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Looks amazing but I've never heard of this brand and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? $400 cable apprently??
eek.gif
eek.gif

Whats that blob thing in the middle??
confused.gif
confused.gif

CK-5401.5.jpg

May 14, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 9
I've never heard of them either, but they sure look nice.

May 14, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 9
It looks to me like another voodooish boutique cable, if you look at the description it is nothing else than a coaxial cable, with teflon dielectric good locking RCAs, BTW not my cup of tea, and a fancy jacket, the thing in the middle is a ferrite core according to the description provided on the auction...Here is another one in audiogon...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....860&1147023869

It looks terrific, there is no doubt of that....
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

May 15, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg
I thought ferrites should only be used on the equipment end of power cords. Somewhere someone with alot more audio engineering smarts than I had stated somewhere here that it was bad medicine to put ferrites on a connector/signal cable??????

And some others uses them everyday....and reco them....these ferrites will protect from external EMI and RFI, not sure why they state that these will harm the sound at all....

May 15, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 9
They seem to have something similar for the Speaker Cables. Looks like a chunk of metal or something on the end before the cables split on each channel. From their feedback, someone ditched the Chord Signatures for these? For looks alone I'd bid but still not sure soundwise.
LS-01.jpg

May 15, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
It looks to me like another voodooish boutique cable, if you look at the description it is nothing else than a coaxial cable, with teflon dielectric good locking RCAs, BTW not my cup of tea, and a fancy jacket, the thing in the middle is a ferrite core according to the description provided on the auction...Here is another one in audiogon...

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....860&1147023869

It looks terrific, there is no doubt of that....
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Hmm, what makes you think it's a coaxial cable? Their description of "internal/external teflon dielectric" is not really consistent with coaxial design, especially since coaxial cables with teflon core are very rare. Even foamed teflon core is not that common.

Also, I'm not aware of any coaxial cable, teflon or not, that uses "single crystal OFC" wire inside. I love the sound of single crystal OFC wire, and if a coax cable existed using this material, I would pay good money for it...

I would even consider buying this cable, but I hate in-line ferrite on interconnects. Urgg... Why, why, why... Perhaps they make a cheaper version without the ferrite.

May 15, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Hmm, what makes you think it's a coaxial cable? Their description of "internal/external teflon dielectric" is not really consistent with coaxial design, especially since coaxial cables with teflon core are very rare. Even foamed teflon core is not that common.

Also, I'm not aware of any coaxial cable, teflon or not, that uses "single crystal OFC" wire inside. I love the sound of single crystal OFC wire, and if a coax cable existed using this material, I would pay good money for it...

I would even consider buying this cable, but I hate in-line ferrite on interconnects. Urgg... Why, why, why... Perhaps they make a cheaper version without the ferrite.

The auction says that, not me, AFAIK this is a coaxial cable right?

CK-5401.jpg

Single crystal OFC??? Who can prove that it is indeed made of that material??? You may need really good instrumentation to determine that molecular structure....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

IMO nice words for marketing...period...I'm not denying that it may be a good IC, and that it may sound good, it seems to be an exceptionally well done cable, but other than that, don't see any reason for that price tag....not even silver, nor any other fancy boutique material....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back