Anyone tried out the new THX Onyx?
Sep 22, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #136 of 143
In reality even here in Italy there is no way to try anything before buying, many years ago the shops allowed it but after what happened no more, obviously I am referring to headphones and IEM. Also in Italy, there is not much interest in high fidelity, I do not speak to anyone about HIFI because nobody cares ... here in Italy they prefer to talk about football which I am not interested in at all.

As for portable sources and amplifiers, there has never been and there is nothing to refer to, if not a few online stores (including Amazon) that allow you to buy them with an advantageous return window, with my word "try" I was referring precisely to the possibility of using these resellers that allow a possible return in case of change of mind.

So same as here. I also don’t care about calcio but most of my friends do...

When purchasing the Onyx I read and watched a bunch of reviews. It was Amir’s take with the numbers that tipped the scale for me. Listening to it has been a treat.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #137 of 143
I started out thinking a $75 audio technica overhead was the best ever.
I went from there straight all the way to the $399 Audio-technica E70. These were stolen while I was in the hospital so I tried the Shure SE846.
Was soooo happy until I tried Sony IER-Z1R like new from Amazon (I returned them) but they were better than SE846.

Then, one day on eBay I saw brand new Shure KSE1200 discounted so I tried them and, honestly, I will never look for another set.

KSE1200 is better, purer, more real than everything else I've heard.

No artificial big bass that the artist never intended.

I started many years ago. Lots of cheaper earbuds, Senn PX200, Senn HD 280 Pro, Bluebuds X (mostly using iPods)... then recently (with streaming and smartphones) Meze Rai Solo and Shure Aonic 50. But I want more... better. When I want wireless I have the CA MT (waiting for Bluetooth to be lossless in order to invest in better TWS) or the A50. And when I want wired, at home, I use either the A50 passively or the Rai Solo. 95% of the time with the Onyx which makes both of the latest come alive. And it’s good for any future cans or IEMs I may get.

I also don’t like EQing too much or at all so linear but still fun cans are the best for me, I guess.

Sep 22, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #138 of 143
Anyone else having issues with the volume reverting to 100% once in a blue moon? I use my onyx every day at the office plugged into my work PC. 99% of the time when I connect it the prior volume setting is remembered. But that 1 time in 100... extremely dangerous with 108 db sensitivity IEM's (most of my listening is done at volume setting 5ish out of 100).

I have never experienced this. But, also, I’ve never connected it other than to my iPhone or iPad.

Then again, if I’m listening to music, on Spotify or Tidal, and then halfway I connect the Onyx, I always check and lower the volume because I’ve been scared before with the much higher volume. But it doesn’t go to 100% on its own. (Would it be a PC thing? Is your Onyx correctly configured as your outboard DAC? Just wondering...)

Sep 22, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #139 of 143
Have not that happen. I listen at 8/100. With such a big difference you have to develop a habit of turning it on BEFORE inserting IEMs in. I have had that happen with other devices and it is NOT fun.

Nov 30, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #140 of 143
I've noticed the Control Buttons on my Shure Uni Cable are not working with the Onyx. Can anyone confirm? Device with Android 13, Onyx with newest Firmware, Switch set to "A" (Android) on the Remote of the Shure Cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back