Anyone Still Rockin' With a 1st Gen Ipod?
Mar 15, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 18
that rediculous huh?
I guess I'm more after the relative durability of HDD DAPs, and figured the first gen ipod was probably the most common unit of that generation. I think it's fair to assume that the newer gen ipods might last longer, as portable hard-drives have become more specialized for DAP purposes. I'm getting frustrated with my MD recorder, but I can't see this thing dying for a long, long time and wanted to get comparitive incite into other DAP durability - as I'd like my next X hundred dollar purchase to last a few years at least...

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 18
ha ha - again.
tongue.gif
I just bought my first large capacity DAP so that I could retire my Sony MD player. It takes a lickin'...

Take the leap. My ZVM has become a life altering experience.lol

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #5 of 18
My first Gen ipod literally just died. I bought it the day it came out and I have to say I abused it!
tongue.gif
It held up really well.

I have bought a almost every gen since that one including 3,4,5, and a nano and have no problems with them. I guess it was just the Gen 1s time
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #7 of 18
I bought my 5GB first generation about 8 months ago and it has worked flawlessly since then. i have looked into getting a larger HDD, but most people just want to much for them, but I have replaced the battery and iI am getting like 13 hours battery life, it is just awesome. I love just how simple the first generation are and the scrool wheel is just so much better than any of the crappy touch things that apple throws on th iPods.

And I really can't wait until rockbox gets released for them.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 18
My iPod 1st Gen works great and it still has a lot of battery time (almost as new). I've been using it a lot back in the day. Lately, due to lack of lossless encoding, it only plays a secundary role as occasional ambient music player with a pair of small minispeakers SRS-Z1.

Edit: I bought the 5GB less than a week after being launched. Same for the 10GB 1st Gen. I gave the 5GB to a cousin and I kept the 10GB. Both perfect. Mine is still used once every day-2day.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 18
I have every gen now apart from the 4th gen which I missed out on. My 1st gen has a small HDD and it is very fat but still works just as well as the day I bought it. Battery life is still very good, maybe I just looked after it well, don't use it anymore though.

J.

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 18
Sorry, just had to reply to this.

I got one of the first shipment of 20 PC-formatted 1st gen. iPods in the UK way back in 2002, and mine is very much still going. The battery life is still around 8 hours between charges, the sound quality is pretty good and other than the slightly scratched back it's still in great condition.

I must have been one of the original London iPod trend-setters back in the day
biggrin.gif

arty

Mar 15, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 18
I have a brand new 2G 10GB model (close enough to the original, but with the touch scroll wheel and real nice big buttons) that hasn't been used. I bought it a few months ago because I thought it was cool.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 18
the great thing about 1G/2G models is you can get replacement batteries for them really cheap (~$15). They are also the easiest models to replace batteries. I had a 1G 5GB that ran for 16+ hours on a 1600maH battery. I plan to get a 2200maH battery for my 2G 10GB that will likely extend playing time to over 20hours easily.

the only feature I miss from the later gens is the dynamic smart playlists.

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 18
If you're goin' pod, I'd go Nano.

I'm sure HDD players are durable enough for most people, but I just can't stand having one. Hearing the little harddrive spin up and down when I turn it on and off wracks my nerves. It's prone to die at any time! You -know- that if you drop it, you're going to feel that terrible feeling in the pit of your stomach. I ultimately feared carrying it with me, and so my X5L sat in my desk drawer, being used only tiny tiny blips of time due to my paranoia. Thankfully, I was able to trade it with a normal person who doesn't share my mostly-ridiculous fears.

If you have any doubt, go flash. It really takes a load off your shoulders. You're probably not as extreme in your fears as I am, but trust me, it feels so nice to have something that you can't have any legitimate worries about. (My DAP also needs to have a user-replaceable battery, for similar reasons. What if that internal dies?)

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #15 of 18
I have a 1g/2g (10 gb, I dont which one though) I think it lasted for about a week and then just died. 2 years later the ipod is the biggest thing sliced bread and I just sit back laugh, because I was so ahead of the game, biaaatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back