Anyone running out to get the ipod hifi?
Feb 28, 2006 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

solbergg

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

haha, couldn't resist
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 99
Looks like a center channel.
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 99
Good marketing for sure, and performance is probably not too shabby when compared to the competition.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 99
Nothing related to the iPod should be called "HI-FI" until Apple decides to start using a decent DAC and a decent amp in their devices.

I own a 40GB G4 iPod, and sometimes it really sounds like crap. You have to bypass the crappy amp altogether to get some decent, undistorted sound out of that thing. And don't even dare using the EQ modes with your iPod, because it becomes "artifact central."
basshead.gif

"HI-FI"??? They wish!

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
Apparently a "wide frequency range" is 53Hz - 16kHz.

Wow! Just like a transistor radio from the 1970s...

Is it "Mono" too?

icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
is this something new or has it been around?

It was introduced a few hours ago. The specs are still hot off the presses.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #10 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos
The iPod has a very good DAC.
This thread has a good discussion about the iPod's innards.

Sorry, I don't want to get off-topic, but the only iPod that comes off the shelf (no mods) with some semi-decent sound is the Shuffle. When I compare the quality of my G4 iPod with my new iAudio U2, there's just no contest.

The sound quality of Rio and iAudio players is much closer to "hi-fi" than any iPod, IMHO.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visigodo
Sorry, I don't want to get off-topic, but the only iPod that comes off the shelf (no mods) with some semi-decent sound is the Shuffle. When I compare the quality of my G4 iPod with my new iAudio U2, there's just no contest.

The sound quality of Rio and iAudio players is much closer to "hi-fi" than any iPod, IMHO.

If you're talking about a G4 iPod, yeah, lousy audio. But the G5 iPod? Great sound. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the G5 iPod's sound quality, for a DAP. Don't make blanket statements about the whole iPod line... they differ greatly from model to model.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 99
hahahahaha...

What was Steve Jobs thinking? All this build-up to announce an over-priced, semi-useful "boombox" and a $100 iPod Sleeve!!!
icon10.gif

Those of you with lots of Apple Stock....I'm sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back