Anyone recently serve jury duty?
Dec 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mtkversion

500+ Head-Fier
Just seeing if anyone had a copy of their 'attendance' slip .. I need a little help ..
very_evil_smiley.gif
redface.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 21
Don't try any funny business with jury duty. If you are summoned, show up and do what you're asked to do.

Trying to game the system is one thing that's guaranteed to push a judge's button. Remember, they are the ones who will decide what happens to you.

So yeah, it sucks. I got called up about a year ago and went. Got lucky and wasn't impaneled. Still, it was better than working that day, I appreciated the long lunch and the courthouse cafeteria wasn't half bad. The rest of the time, I used the iPod and IEMs while watching planes go in and out of LAX. I've had worse days.

Dec 14, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 21
I've been called to Jury duty 3 times and each time I waited for hours, only to be dismissed after being told that jury selection was complete and the group that I was pooled in was no longer needed. It's not so bad, just take your portable rig (remember to take those IEM's out when they call your number). Look on the bright side, you'll get a check in the mail!

Dec 17, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 21
I get summoned every 2 or three years, my reward for voting, I think they pull your name from the registration rolls. With DUI cases they'll take anyone, but with something more serious, they (usually the defense) won't take anyone that can think analytically, like engineers. So if you're in a tech field you might be able to skate after a few hours. If you are selected it's not so bad, you'll get to see our illustrious judicial ("if it doesn't fit you must acquit") system in action.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 21
If it's really an issue the quickest and easiest way of getting out is saying you have personal ties to the defendant.
You'd actually have to show up, but they'll dismiss you very rapidly if you say this and won't question it either.
Like someone stated earlier though, I wouldn't recommend any funny business as with something like jury duty, it'll probably come back to bite you.

Note: I've never had jury duty, but wouldn't mind it one bit. I get paid leave from work and then you get a bit of money for attending. It'd be a win-win.

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get summoned every 2 or three years, my reward for voting, I think they pull your name from the registration rolls.

I am not registered to vote and was called earlier this year. I am a student though so I won't have to go in for a long time yet.

Interesting experiences, I didn't realize people are dismissed most of the time.

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just say you dislike some ethnic group. guarantee it will be a short day.

This is actually very true...at least in the county/state I live in. I typically answer the questions with a "He should fry" answer. I've never had to sit on a jury and I've been summoned about 5 times in the last 10 years. You think they would learn...
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 21
just got finished with a rape/forced sodomy case.

guilty, guilty, guilty and guilty.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got finished with a rape/forced sodomy case.

guilty, guilty, guilty and guilty.

See what I told you, the male super models get's all the good cases.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See what I told you, the male super models get's all the good cases.

what can i say? i tell them that my best friend is a rapist and the D.A. just stands there dazed, batting his eyelashes at me.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my vote really does not count.

WHAAATTT??!! The mayor of Vallejo (CA) a city of 100,000+ was decided on 3 (THREE) votes after 2 recounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back