Anyone like New Model Army?
Mar 16, 2006 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AndyRx7

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up their latest CD (Sept 2005), 'Carnival' and I'm hooked, playing it on repeat. This is my 10th album of theirs (not all by a long shot). I've loved them since a friend introduced me to 'No Rest for the Wicked' many years ago.

Although they're popular in the UK, I feel like no one around here (Canada) has even heard of them! One is usually lucky to find one of their CDs at a big record store, and it is usually overly expensive as an import.

They have a pretty unique sound (I think); no other music makes me feel the same way. They also discuss interesting political and human issues in their lyrics, but not in the typical cheesy trite way.

Anyone else know what I'm saying?

Another great lesser known (around here) UK band is the Levellers.

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I am very fond of them. One of my top 10 favourite "just plain rock'n'roll" bands. I finally got to see them live last year!

Mar 16, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
I am very fond of them. One of my top 10 favourite "just plain rock'n'roll" bands. I finally got to see them live last year!

Where did you see them? I'm jealous!

I actually saw the Levellers unplugged (no drums, just acoustic instruments) in Toronto about 5 years ago. It was basically like 100 people in a small pub, I was sitting like 5 feet away from the stage... they took requests for hours, and then partied with us! It was awesome, and particularly neat since as far as I know they usually play mostly big shows in the UK.

Mar 17, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyRx7
Where did you see them? I'm jealous!

Yeah, it was insane. After years and years of them not visiting "this side of the pond", they finally toured the US -- I think there was a petition and everything. So I got to see them locally, at a place called the Black Cat in DC. I won't say I was "front-row-center", but I was second-row-off-to-the-side!

According to their website, they're going to try to come here again in October of this year. So cross your fingers for some Canadian dates.

Mar 17, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 13
they are among my top 3 favorite bands, maybe even #1. i'm a little disappointed about carnival, though, i prefer 'eight' and the recent live albums (and that phenomenal anniversary dvd!). i don't much care for the first three tracks of 'carnival' - they remind me a bit of "stupid questions" which up to now was the only song of their whole discography that i don't like...

maybe it'll yet grow on me, eight and strange brotherhood took a while too.
(imo they should have started the album with "red earth" and "too close to the sun")

Mar 17, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
maybe it'll yet grow on me...

Yeah, Love of Hopeless Causes took a few listens to appreciate. But then again, I love Stupid Questions (the song).

Mar 17, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Big fan here also. I've seen them multiple times over the last couple years here in San Fran.
biggrin.gif
Definately one of the more underrated bands out there.

Mar 17, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
they are among my top 3 favorite bands, maybe even #1. i'm a little disappointed about carnival, though, i prefer 'eight' and the recent live albums (and that phenomenal anniversary dvd!). i don't much care for the first three tracks of 'carnival' - they remind me a bit of "stupid questions" which up to now was the only song of their whole discography that i don't like...

maybe it'll yet grow on me, eight and strange brotherhood took a while too.
(imo they should have started the album with "red earth" and "too close to the sun")

Agreed about 'red earth' - I keep listening to that one over and over
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm in the loving 'stupid questions' camp as well lol. Thunder & Consolation is probably my favourite of their albums.

Dec 16, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 13
my bud up above, twc5964, is the one that turned me onto them back in the day. I remember when I first started getting off on them. he had put these songs listed below on a cassette for me. I had been smoking some kind and was heading up to the farm that winter day. q:O)-~

I have a self titled New Model Army 45RPM 12" EP of theirs that I have had since the mid to late 80's. I think it's a French Pressing or actually UK by Abstract Records. The only date I see on it is on the back cover with a pencil drawing of a rat or possum advertsing Agent X/ Michael Sh... Tour 81'. the drawing is signed Joolz 83'.

the five songs on this EP are killer! Side One: Great Expectations, Waiting Side Two: Bitter Sweet, Bettcha, Tension

the album is in very good condition! been in a vinyl sleeve since it was on the shelf. some wear on the cover but the vinyl has limited play on a B&O Turntable since I mostly used me vinyl to record to cassette for playback.

I'll never have a turntable again and I have been thinking of selling the last of me vinyl to acquire more HiFi equipment.

I wonder what the value of this New Model Army EP is? where is a good place to find value of my old alternative music on vinyl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back