anyone like k240s better than dt770pro/80?
Jun 15, 2005 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
i guess they both have pluses and minuses. the k240s is more comfortable and more servicable. anyone like the sound of the k240s better?
i just can't stand the clamping and weight of the 770's.

music_man.

Jun 15, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 12
I do, but if you're looking for a sound that's similar to the DT770s, the K240S isn't it, even though it is rather bassy.

Jun 15, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #3 of 12
the comfort of the k240s makes up for the difference in sound. i don't think anyone would say the k240s sounds lousy or cheap would they?
even though the k240s is not as exciting, i think it's physical design was made more with the professional in mind than the dt770. i can hear much more stuff on the m40fs than i can on any other phones! the problem is that those are sooo fatiguing i can't stand them. i think cans are a really personal thing.
i mean a lot of people see the price of the qualia and think it must be nirvana.
i don't really like the qualia! so i am torn on which to use on a daily basis.
the k240s, amazing comfort and reliability. the dt770 really fun. the m40fs tells the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth. however the m40fs looks like it is made by tonka(cheap). now that you know i cant stand the pain of the dt770 you must know how i feel about the hd280! lol.
yeah, i love the rs1 but it isn't for criticle listening. it's for fun and relaxing.
so when i need phones to wear for 4+ hours a day for work what else is there? it has to be closed.

thanks,
music_man.

Jun 16, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
i don't think anyone would say the k240s sounds lousy or cheap would they?

I would.

But they are much more expensive here than they are in the US.

For me, the DT770 is much better in every respect. Its more comfortable, it has better bass, more detail, bigger staging effect and is just a completely superior headphone to me.

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 12
I prefer the DT770.

Its not really a fair comparison IMHO the 240s is less than half the price.

Garrett

Jun 16, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 12
I too prefer the 770, but the 240s midrange is a world better. I found the 240s more clear, but of course the dynamic presetation of the 770 has few equals. Hell, I haven't heard an equal yet. But, there is that grain to contend with.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 12
For me the liquid smooth midrange and warm full bass of the k240s win me over every time. Doesnt matter what phone I try: ksc75, hd580, sr125, dt250-250, hd555- everytime I switch back to the k240s its like "Aahhhh, THAT'S better!".

Grain is ok when you want to listen critically, but when I want to just soak in the music, the k240s is THE ONLY choice!

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
For me the liquid smooth midrange and warm full bass of the k240s win me over every time. Doesnt matter what phone I try: ksc75, hd580, sr125, dt250-250, hd555- everytime I switch back to the k240s its like "Aahhhh, THAT'S better!".

Grain is ok when you want to listen critically, but when I want to just soak in the music, the k240s is THE ONLY choice!

No kidding. The music definitely is in the midrange! The mids are so lush and liquid and the K240S is just downright easy to listen to. Sometimes I wish that the K240S had a bit more treble, but for the price it's very hard to complain about the sound of these phones. They aren't the best choice for analyzing the music and obviously there are more accurate 'phones out there, but man...like you said, the K240S is a GREAT choice when you just want to kick back and soak up the music!

Jun 16, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 12
hmm. maybe i should change the direction of this post....
what do you guys think is the most analytical phones for criticle listening that presents the source exactly as it is. but, is pretty comfortable to wear. and not very fatiguing. the m40fs are about the most criticle phones i know. however they fall apart in quick order. plus they are painfull to listen to after ten minutes. intrestingly i think very criticle cans can be had for much less money than very musical ones. i guess it takes a lot of effort to make the cans have good character. i love the rs1's, but they don't present what is really there at all. they have their own distinct flavor. strange thing is that most of the phones marketed as professional studio phones color the source a lot. phones and loudspeakers are so personal. i knew some folks would take the k240s over the dt770 even though the k240s is less than half the price.

i'll tell y'all a big secret if 'ya promise not to tell! if i was on a deserted island and only could have one set of cans it would be the technics rp-f800! if i remember corectly these sold for like $40! yeah i'd take them over the hd650 or rs1! call me crazy.

music_man.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 12
Grados are kinda fatiguing...
biggrin.gif

Most neutral headphones I've heard (IMO) are the DT880s. Trebles are a bit smoothed out, granted, but they're not fatiguing and pretty detailed.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 12
gotta be closed for studio use. but yeah the 880's are nice. i guess the 770 is really the closest thing to what i am looking for. it upsets me though that the crummy m40fs allowes me to hear stuff that is missing on the 770's.

grado's are fatiguing? that was a joke hence the smiley, right?
grados are not transparent though, they definatly have a flavor.
i think the rs1's are really great for home use. like 'em better than the hd650's. got my flame suit on lol. anyways guess i'll be sticking with the 770's for work.....

music_man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back