Anyone know of a SMALLER equivalent to an Otterbox 1000?
Nov 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mython

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I'm looking for a hard case for my forthcoming UM IEMs. I know lots of folks here use the Otterbox 1000 or the Pelican 1010, but both of these are way too large and unwieldy for my purposes - I need something that I can stow in my front jeans pocket without drawing too much attention from the laydeeez or the Feds...
wink_face.gif

Definitely needs to be a hard case and as low-profile as possible, but with just enough room for a little foam padding, the IEMs, and (ideally, but not 100% essential) the IEM cable, too.

Surely I don't have to settle for something as big as an Otterbox ? Someone please say it ain't so...

I already have a Canon Digital Elph -type camera case which is half hard, half soft in construction, but I'd like something more 'bulletproof' as I want to take good care of my IEMs whilst out and about (I don't always have a jacket with me - often, it's just a shirt and jeans and that's it).

I've seen some people use a soapbox, but that seems a little flaky to me.

I dunno, I'm just hoping someone here knows of a proper, well-made tough box to handle the above requirements.

Anyone..?

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Ultimate ears tf10 case.

Thanks for the suggestion - do you mean this or something else?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Ears-Metallic-Crush-proof-Headphone-Case-/190573848454#ht_500wt_1125

I'm having a very hard time finding the above item in stock anywhere. Google keeps throwing up dead, cached, links. Almost seems as though Logitech/UE may have withdrawn these cases from aftermarket sale?

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 15
Not sure about unique melody, but my JH13s are quite a bit larger than any universal IEM. I found that the Otterbox 1000 is the smallest case I can go with without worrying about damaging the IEMs. My JH13s don't fit in the UE case mentioned I just tried.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #6 of 15
Ahh, I see. Many thanks for the 'heads-up' on the fit issue, Tony. You've just saved me a few quid!

I'm new to customs and won't receive my Miracles for several weeks yet, so I'm not familiar with their real size - presumably, they'll be pretty-much identical in size to the JH13s, since they're very much an equivalent model with similar number of armatures etc.

That puts me in a predicament, then. I have to find something that's not too big for my front jeans pocket but will reliably protect my Miracles.

At this rate, I may have to make something myself.

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Not sure about unique melody, but my JH13s are quite a bit larger than any universal IEM. I found that the Otterbox 1000 is the smallest case I can go with without worrying about damaging the IEMs. My JH13s don't fit in the UE case mentioned I just tried.

Just looked back at the Otterbox 1000 specs and they say it's 1" high, internally - do you find you can fit foam padding in yours, for your JH13s, or will they only fit without  foam?

Cheers.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #9 of 15
Hey Mython

The otterbox 1000 is just barely big enough to hold the JH13s in the faux-velvet pouch thing that it comes with. It seemed kind of risky to me to store them regularly in the otterbox because the JH13s seem to have to be in a very specific orientation otherwise they seem to get pressure applied to them when you close the case. Also I was a bit concerned about moisture and theres no room in the otterbox for a dessicant pillow. In the end I got a westone customs case, which is plenty spacious qand comes with foam padding and has a slot for a dessicant pillow. On the other hand it definetly won't fit in your jeans pocket =(

Check it out here
http://www.westone.com/products/Custom%20Fit%20Pro%20Audio/Deluxe%20Monitor%20Case

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #10 of 15
LOL, damn...

Ever get the feeling life is working against you? 
blink.gif

I'm going to find a workable solution for my UMs even if I have to make it myself (in which case, I'll eventually post a pic or two in this thread).

In the meantime, thanks, all, for your input here, esp. Tony.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 15
http://www.head-fi.org/t/558117/custom-iem-case-otterbox-1000-or-ue-zippo-or-something-else

Cyberspyder uses the tf10 tin case, u could him... The case isn't too small from my experience- I could fit both my tf10 and ie8 comfortably in it...
If you want to buy, maybe post on forum or ask UE.... Not sure

Or you can look at these....

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/custom-in-ear-monitors/accessories?wt.mc_id=usym_redirect_ultimateears

It's a small pocket carrying hard case specifically for customs according to what i read.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 15
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/ue/ue-earphones/accessories?wt.mc_id=usym_redirect_ultimateears

If you really want and think the tf10 case can fit (my ears are small :D ) buy them from the link....
You can also consider the pocket ready hard case in the link

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 15
UE metal case, I wish my TF customs fit in the UE zippo case I have that one it is small

EDIT:  I just gave it a shot and they fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back