Anyone Know About the Sony NW-HD1 ?
Oct 2, 2004 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ProdeeK

Head-Fier
i REALLY want to get this player, but i dont know if it plays mp3's. it seems ALOT better then my weak 20 gb 3rd gen ipod that cant even go thru one day of school and soccer, and this one lasts for 30 hours ! ! this is why i hate iPod. we have the technology to go up to 40 hours or more of battery life but does apple do it ?? NO. ive heard that sony is now goin to support ACTUAL mp3 format and if they do this i know i wont be usin my iPod at all anymore.so anyone knows whats up ??!?! thanks.

Oct 2, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 24
we'll see if mp3 support happens.. they're "working on it". Too expensive anyway.

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProdeeK
i REALLY want to get this player, but i dont know if it plays mp3's. it seems ALOT better then my weak 20 gb 3rd gen ipod that cant even go thru one day of school and soccer, and this one lasts for 30 hours ! ! this is why i hate iPod. we have the technology to go up to 40 hours or more of battery life but does apple do it ?? NO. ive heard that sony is now goin to support ACTUAL mp3 format and if they do this i know i wont be usin my iPod at all anymore.so anyone knows whats up ??!?! thanks.

30 hours is with 48k/s ATRAC 3 plus, the battery decreases linearly as you go up the compression ladder. So 256K/s would probably knock you down to 10 or so.

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 24
ProdeeK,
It doesn't play MP3s at the moment, everything must be converted to ATRAC3/ATRAC3plus. If you really need that (i.e. be able to copy over MP3s and they'll just play), wait for a few months. Sony's not known for their generosity with software/firmware updates, so if you buy an HD1 now, you may or may not get MP3 playback support. You can't be sure unless it's already in the player you buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Tank X
30 hours is with 48k/s ATRAC 3 plus, the battery decreases linearly as you go up the compression ladder. So 256K/s would probably knock you down to 10 or so.

The review at AV Watch said they got about 18 hours of non-stop playback using 256kbps A3plus.

Oct 3, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 24
They're not going to give mp3 support to the NW-HD1. They've basically said this in all of the articles. The chip is not able to support mp3 playback and if it did the battery life would be atrocious. So I'd look elsewhere

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 24
I have one , it is awesome, it took my pc 6hrs to convert 12gb of mp3 but it did it without any glitches at all. It sounds really good, all my mp3 are 192kbps so that helps. I am slowly adding all the cds i have (i am the reason it is sloww not my hd1!) it takes about a minute a cd, not bad really. The battery life is good not 30 hours but about 22 with my music encoded at 132kbps still better than pod though. My friends had a play with it and agreed it looks way better than the pod and sounds better(bass heads).
I would wait until the hd2 comes though it will be cheaper - £220(no docking station - big deal)and is the same otherwise (dont buy a pink one though - that is gay as a truck).

Oct 3, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 24
doomlordis,

How do you like the interface?
What headphones are u using?

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #9 of 24
Interface is good , on board playlisting a little weak , all you can do is bookmark up to 100 tracks and play them back as a group with shuffer etc, sonicstage allows you to create groups that can be played seperatly.
I am using modded e888lps (groovecaps added) sounds ace.

Oct 4, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #11 of 24
I have had it for a week now and these are my findings(as i listen to kasabians new album - very good by the way):

I have chosen to record most of my music at 132(lp2) this sounds really good when it is ripped directly from a cd and only very slightly worse when from a 192 mp3, its hard to explain the difference , some of the ones transcoded from mp3 sound a little less defined, not muddy but not as detailed , strangley most of the mp3 conversions sound the same (well i couldnt tell them apart) it is music with a lot of electronic giggery pockery the give it away , daft punks homework album for instance.

I tried 64kpbs atrac3+ but found it to be nowhere near as good as 132 (not surprising really) it still is perfectly listenable but just not as enjoyable to hear. I rate it at the equivilent of a 96kbps MP3.

256kbps Atrac3+ is simply stunning, i swear i cant tell the difference between it and original cd when connected to my Amp using HD1s Line out (which by the way is very loud and very clear with no distortion-just dont forget to switch back to headphone before using earplugs , i nearly blew my head off in the middle of boots the chemist!) . I am using this for my favorite cds.

Battery life is good, i get 22 - 24 hours at 132kbps, normal use.

The UI is good , not amazing but very simple, the biggest negative is the speed the scroll works at , if you keep the button depressed it does begin to speed up but after about 5 seconds. I have grown to like the bookmarking , i have 100 favourite siong in there and it is easy to switch to.
I couldnt work out how to return to the now playing screen after browsing while listening (hold the mode key down-read the manual).
As you can see above i havent read the manual yet and have managed to put 10gigs+ of music etc on ,play it, use my hifi with it etc it really is simple.

The supplied headphones, if they stay in your ear long enough actually sound ok to me , lots of bass and highs , bit muddy in the middle. I have tried player with e888lp , ex70,71 and pmx100s , my favorite was the e888lps, i think the player will manage most earphones but may struggle with hungry ones. I tried ex70s today for the first time- one word - *****. Ex71s sounded much better to me and they are pretty bad.

Right , the biggest issue reviewers are harking on about is Sonicstsge and its forced conversion to atrac. I have over 10gb of mp3s on my pc and i started the software pointed it to my mp3 folder , set it to convert and transfer it all at 132kbps and left it for the night. It converted my music and transferred it to the player. Issues , 23 out of 2000+ mp3s wouldnt convert, this was due to them having corrupt headers. Fixed using a 3rd party app that allows you to fix headers. That was it , i think sonicstage is much improved from the old openmg days, no checking in or out anymore. I dont think most people will notice the difference between original mp3 and atrac conversion either.

Ipod or this?
I would have a HD1 over an ipod anyday but not really for the right reasons, i hate any item that becomes over fashionable, i see white earphone cords everywhere and they are crap earphones , truly awful. Thsi show that a lot of ipod users dont care about sound quality. Lots of women with ipods too , this also puts me off , the ipod looks a bit feminine ,dare i say girly. I want my toys to look tough. I have used an ipod (3g) and thought it was ok , i dont value a built in calander/pim functions , i just want it to sound good and it does, it sounds good , just not great, the bass is lacking, the eqs are crap and distort(HD1 has that one whipped with its 6 band equaliser). I am not a pod person.

So 1 week and counting and couldnt be happier , there are a few things the player needs , a forum, 3rd party accessory support and a lossless codec would be nice and hopefully mp3 support not to far away ( i probably wont use it though). All in all an excellent player.

Oct 4, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #12 of 24
Got it too, for 3 weeks now and I completely agree with doomlordis.
This player is a dream; batterylife, solid, stylish, compact, soundquality.

Oct 5, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #13 of 24
doomlordis ~ Thanks for the info.

Is yours a UK version? If so, how is the volume with the supplied headphones? Sony seem to volume limit european models...

Also, how is the battery if you were playing only 256kbps Atrac3+ only?

Thanks

Oct 5, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 24
UK version, there is only one version as far as i can tell (downloaded manuals etc no ref to european)Ok volume first , loud enough with supplied buds but they are a tricky fit, if you have klingon ears you may be ok ,on my e888lps i played "cemetry gates" by the smiths in the middle of the local train station, this is my most quiet recording. I was happy with volume at 90%. I usually listen to my HD1 at work 55% - 65% is perfect.
The 6 band equaliser also allows for -/+3db adjustments on all six channels. I tested this through my amp (not in line-out mode as that doesnt allow adjustments on the player) at +3db there was very very minor distortion on songs with electric guitars but not noticable on electronic/dance music the good news is that it provided a 30% increase in volume!!! At +2db i couldnt detect any distortion at all and achieved a 20% increase in volume, i probably wont use it but nice to know you have a usable "boost" for when you are at the next airshow!

Earphones, i have now tested a few pairs this is what i found:

EX71 - dont like them anyway but they are quite quiet with the HD1 , they dont need to be as loud but i think the 100db rating aint enough on this player.(they sound crap anyway)

E888lp - Loud enough, sound detailed and have very well defined bass- my recommendation.

PX100 - 32ohm make these quite quiet, sound nice though but still to quiet(ok indoors but will annoy others due to leakage)

mx550 - these were good , lower impedence than mx500 , much louder- they were brand new so may need burn in time. Still nasty fit though.

I think in general with this player 50mw, 108 or above db ,16 ohm is the way to go with cans.

Oct 5, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 24
So some E888's would be a good fit? I sure hope they add MP3 support, but I've still got a Mac, so all hope is lost for me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back