ANyone into Still Photography?
Aug 10, 2002 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pineapples10

100+ Head-Fier
I've been fooling around with still photography for about a year now. I like digital the best, its gives you more freedom than the conventional chemical based darkroom, and its not as messy. Here is a pic I took yesterday;
IMG_0082edweb.JPG

Some other pics of mine are at http://home.attbi.com/~jimreinhardt

If anyone else is into still photography, i'd be pleased to see your work...post away!.
Chris Reinhardt

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 14
ha, pineapples, i remember seeing your works.

amazing for your age....because u do blow away some of the works i see in photo forums. they also do still pictures, but your nature images have that 'sparkling' quality to it.

Im too embarrased to show mine. hhahhaha

The b&w tree pic, how'd u get it look distorted (looks circular in a way).

Aug 11, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for all the positive comments guys...most photography forums/Picture of the Day contests dont seem to like photos that arent of cats, children or fruit. Some do..but most dont....anyway...I got 'that' one just by standing over a burning log and exposing so the log was black...it ended up looking cool, and suprisingly, it has barely been touched up at all in Photoshop..much like most of my other photos. The pic of the tree was shot with an infrared filter....the reason it looks so 'round', is because I kept the shutter open for about a second, so whatever moved blurred...anyway...thanks for the support...
Chris Reinhardt

Aug 11, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by pineapples10
Thanks for all the positive comments guys...most photography forums/Picture of the Day contests dont seem to like photos that arent of cats, children or fruit. Some do..but most dont....anyway...I got 'that' one just by standing over a burning log and exposing so the log was black...it ended up looking cool, and suprisingly, it has barely been touched up at all in Photoshop..much like most of my other photos. The pic of the tree was shot with an infrared filter....the reason it looks so 'round', is because I kept the shutter open for about a second, so whatever moved blurred...anyway...thanks for the support...
Chris Reinhardt

Chris, it seems like you've coined part of the problem that plagues photo of the day contests...
Good ol' Ed Steichen put it in a very elegant way... "Technically perfect, but pictorially rotten".

Your technical ability seems pretty good... just try to keep in mind that what you're saying is the point, not how you're saying it... and that's a much harder thing to master than photoshop, infrared filters or even the lippmann process.

This has probably been mentionned before, but given your b/w architectures, you should definitely check out Bernd & Hiller Becher's work, as well as that of their students (ruff, struth, gursky and all of those people...)

Keep it going... it looks like you have an eye and may want to consider some formal education in the field...

Aug 11, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 14
matt,
Thanks for the commnets. I know my photos dont 'say' anything, but at this point, that isnt what im 'shooting' for. I don't quite have a reason to pass messages along with photos....although that is the ultimate point I suppose. I did look for Bernd & Biller Hecher's stuff online..but the images I saw were small, and probably dont do the photos justice. I'll look some more after dinner. As for formal education in the field? Eh...its a hobby...Thanks again...
Chris

Aug 14, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 14
nice work, both of you...Matt, I really like the first image...I take it you either live, or have worked in the middle east? Im sure you have many stories to go along with those photos. Raymondlin, im seen your stuff before on Head-Fi..nice work...I've just acquired a Nikon N60 SLR..I think im going to start using it, and set up my darkroom in my basement again....Thanks again you guys,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back