Anyone interested in the subgenre of Shoegaze?
Feb 18, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #16 of 67
If you like the less heavy shoegaze/dreampop genre, check out Mazzy Star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO30b_SxLzE

The record "Tonight that I might see" is amazing listening on my HD598's or for more bass HD650.

The song "Mary of Silence" is also wicked haunting. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 67
Shoegaze is one of my favorite sub-genres--some bands to check out for anyone who is interested:

Boris, Deerhunter, Have a Nice Life, Jesu, M83, My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Smashing Pumpkins, Spiritualized, The War on Drugs, and Yo La Tengo. Shoegaze has also been seeping into black metal in a pretty big way in recent years--if you're feeling adventurous, three bands to check out would be Agalloch, Deafheaven, and Wolves in the Throne Room. My HD650s treated shoegaze pretty well--I'll let you know how some of my favorites play with the LCD-X. ^^

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 67
Feb 19, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #20 of 67
shockofDAYLIGHT 

Buried towards the end of his list was one quasi-shoegaze band, Kitchens of Distinction, that merits consideration. A contemporary of other early 90s shoegaze acts like Lush, Chapterhouse, and Slowdive, Kitchens has more forward (clearly discernible) vocals but the massive and lush guitars that defined the style at that time are some of my favorites.  Their second album, Strange Free World, features some heartbreakingly beautiful melodies.  

Before purchasing some Alpha Dogs, I tested some LCD3s with Kitchens' "Drive That Fast" from Strange Free World.  Absolutely beautiful--a very deep and 3-d soundstage.  The AD's come very close to the LCD3s to my ears on a lot of classic shoegaze.  I was a bit concerned that a closed phone couldn't deliver the depth and imaging, but have been pleasantly surprised by how the AD's handle this genre.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 67
A few recommendations,  more or less crossovers from shoegaze/post rock/dream pop.. Some IMO very overlooked bands like Ultra Cindy, 14 Iced Bears, Swirlies, Swirl, Revolver, Mojave 3, Pale Saints, The Field Mouse, The Belltower and The Pastels. All worth looking into.. + Telstar Ponies..

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 67
One word: Jesu. Even got the "Duchess/Veiled" vinyl EP of theirs (it was sold out in two hours or so).

My (very heavily modded) ATH-M40 work fine off pretty much any amp with that (also Godflesh and pretty much anything else related, like Final and Solaris BC). Now of course they're extra-dampened, and recabled with SPC wire with a heavy copper braid shielding. So they really are closer to the higher-end sets like HD650 and K-701 (the resolution is mighty fine, they've been used for sample cleanup and show dirt monitor speakers and other headphones miss). Modded ATH-M40 are similar to Genelec monitor speakers in the studio, they just show what's there with little bias towards bass or treble or whatnot. As a matter of fact, what one gets out of a guitar amp's headphone/line out with them is much the same as what the guitar cab plays.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 67
I love the shoegaze and nu gaze. Wikipedia is where I go to find bands of that genre. Someone mentioned Black Angles, which is more neo phychodelia and another favorite genre I buy a lot. I go through used CDs at record stores with my phone on and if I see a weird album I search it on wiki and see what genre it is. I've been through all the big record stores from Sacramento to SF and spent a butt load in the last year on used CDs. So many to pick, but love Mew, Lilys, The Warlocks, The Telescopes, Ride, Catherine Wheel, Black Mountain, The Apples in Stereo, Darker My Love, Flying Saucer Attack, Bloodhorse.... Turn it up, man!!!

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 67
Buried towards the end of his list was one quasi-shoegaze band, Kitchens of Distinction, that merits consideration. A contemporary of other early 90s shoegaze acts like Lush, Chapterhouse, and Slowdive, Kitchens has more forward (clearly discernible) vocals but the massive and lush guitars that defined the style at that time are some of my favorites.  Their second album, Strange Free World, features some heartbreakingly beautiful melodies.  

Before purchasing some Alpha Dogs, I tested some LCD3s with Kitchens' "Drive That Fast" from Strange Free World.  Absolutely beautiful--a very deep and 3-d soundstage.  The AD's come very close to the LCD3s to my ears on a lot of classic shoegaze.  I was a bit concerned that a closed phone couldn't deliver the depth and imaging, but have been pleasantly surprised by how the AD's handle this genre.
-1 on kitchens of Distinction

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #28 of 67
Serena Maneesh, The Big Sleep, Constants are worth checking out too. I have so much but only naming stuff I would buy again. So many sub genre types out there will put you to sleep and or sound very emo to me. I got a bunch of Starflyer 59, and they are hit or miss but when they hit it's very good. They are supposedly Christian band but aren't saying god or Jesus every song from what I can tell. I will name more soon that I like because I am new to many of these bands so forgive me there too:) maybe save you guys some $$$ too.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #29 of 67
A few more: The Daysleepers and Silversun Pickups, also interesting are Explosions in the Sky, and Young Mountain.

-Mike

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #30 of 67
One thing I can't say is the band name will verify the sound or quality. I was very disappointed by E is for Explosion or Cymbals Eat Guitars. Also shoegaze album covers are not goofy or silly like indie/punk/alternative etc can be. I'm ably to go through 1000s of CDs and know when I should look it up or skip it, not to mention a life long love of music. Black Angel covers are a good representation of where they are taking their music. A serious musician who looks to take music to the next level, sign me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back