Anyone interested in anime?
Jan 3, 2003 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that there were a few anime related deals in the gear/music and movie forum. I decided to post up what I figured I would be willing to part with on a spur of the moment deal. Is there anyone else interested in anime? There's really a lot of good stuff out there.

For the good stuff, check out Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Serial Experiments Lain, and Vision of Escaflowne. These series are fantastic. They capture the humanity and the human spirit is ways that are nearly unrivaled anywhere else, in any genre. I also love Gasaraki, but it's too slow paced in the first episode for the tastes of many people. Unfortunately I've lost dvds from my Gasaraki collection twice!!
eek.gif
I have no idea how that happened
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 63
If you like anime, then you have to see Hayao Miyazaki's films.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours The Yamadas
Castle of Cagliostro
Sherlock Hound
Grave of the Fireflies

Laputa and Totoro is the best ones IMO, wonderful animation and more magical then anything Disney can ever come up with.

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
If you like anime, then you have to see Hayao Miyazaki's films.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbours The Yamadas
Castle of Cagliostro
Sherlock Hound
Grave of the Fireflies

Laputa and Totoro is the best ones IMO, wonderful animation and more magical then anything Disney can ever come up with.

i agree, those two are the best ones. with spirited away a very close third. they are all of course great. laputa has some of the best actions scenes in any movie.

some other classics to check out are:
akira
ghost in the shell
the irresponsible captain tyler
demon city
ninja scroll
memories (if it ever comes out!!)
robot carnival

i've also been enjoying "the slayers" and "el hazard" on the international channel. fan service galore!!

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 63
You mean there are people that DON'T like anime ?

poor them
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

some other classics to check out are:

Add Vampire Hunter D to the classics list .

and Akira on DVD rocks

cool.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 8:48 PM Post #6 of 63

<------
biggrin.gif

Trigun's a fun series with a space/western theme to it. It starts out rather comical but grows increasingly serious throughout the series.

Definitely check out the series ooheadsoo recommended, and I just have to recommend Gundam. I'm not talking about G Gundam or Gundam Wing or anything; those are outside the normal continuity. Unfortunately, it's sort of hard to get into the original Gundam storyline since not all of it has been released. I'd suggest checking out the Gundam Movie Trilogy which contains the story of the first Gundam series (Mobile Suit Gundam 0079). The first series is only available dubbed on DVD =^/ The next series, Zeta Gundam, isn't available yet at all in the US, although it is going to be. Inbetween these two series is Gundam 0083, which is a 13 episode series made rather recently that is available on DVD subbed/dubbed. The original Gundam shows were made back in the later 70's/early 80's. After Zeta Gundam is the movie Char's Counterattack which just came out on DVD. Is this too confusing?
tongue.gif
Anyway, try looking up some Gundam FAQs and trying to get into it, you won't regret it.

raymondlin: I haven't seen Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, but I've read the manga and it's VERY good. I hear the movie suffers on account of its brevity, so if you enjoyed it you might look into getting the translated manga from Viz.

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 63
Big animephile over here. I have more anime dvds than regular movie dvds.
redface.gif

Good suggestions so far, all of which I've either seen and liked or haven't seen yet. A few other suggestions from me:

- Evangelion
- Key: The Metal Idol
- Adventures of Mini-Goddesses
- Burn Up W (helloooo, fan service!)
- Excel Saga
- Ping Pong Club (warning: very risque/blatant humor in this one)
- Nadesico
- Dragonball Z (yeah, most will probably disagree w/ me on this, but I don't give a crap)
- Slayers/Slayers Next/Slayers Try
- Ranma 1/2
- Azumanga Daioh (pleasepleaseplease let this get released in region 1!)

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 63
Eh, I've never really gotten into anime. . . except for Initial D, and the only reason I got into that one was because of the cars. It seems as if they have an anime for everyone over there. . .

Jan 3, 2003 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 63
but dhwilkin, have you seen the ultimate in fan service? "gowkaiser voltage fighters" and "amazing nurse nanako". "sakura diaries" is no slouch either, and has a good story too. nanako (not safe for work!)

Jan 3, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 63
Whoa. [/keanu] Nope, haven't seen either of the first two. Besides the fan service, are they worth watching? Seen a bit of Sakura Diaries, not entirely sold on the story yet. I do, however, quite like the opening song.

Oh yeah, adding to the list: Chobits

Jan 3, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 63
Porco Rosso is my favorite Miyazaki movie. The rest are good, but not as ground breaking to me as berserk. Berserk has my favorite story, hands down, the most clean emotional impact. Bebop is kinda tied with berserk, possibly coming in second because of its "portrait of their lives" style rather than a linear story. I also really enjoyed "I Can Hear the Sea" and "Whisper of the Heart." These are my runner ups to Porco Rosso. Totoro would be right there among those 2, i guess; it's also good.

Fanservice is titillating...but in the end it's annoying to me. See Sakura Diaries, I'm selling it
wink.gif
I watched the first 2 eps or so. I stopped watching after he bought the condoms.
eek.gif
Chobits pissed me off
redface.gif

Oh yeah, I'm selling vhd and i can throw in akira is someone really wants it for cheap
wink.gif
hahaha...should i even post this comment in here?
confused.gif

Jan 3, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #12 of 63
I am mostly out of it all now. Not seen much for new anime lately... but i still like it
tongue.gif

Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor 1/2, Serial Experiments Lain, Vampire Hunter D, Demon City, Evangelion, Princess Mononoke, and a bunch of misc stuff i rented from blockbuster and such places a long ass time ago are pretty much what i've seen.

Jan 4, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #13 of 63
Oh, I forgot about the Yamadas. Scratch that one up as another second favorite Miyazaki of mine

Jan 4, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 63
I have being enjoying the sound track to Ghost in the Shell of
late........

Nice
biggrin.gif

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #15 of 63
*sighs*

So many anime titles to go through.
wink.gif
I just recently got in the stuff myself now with me mainly d/l stuff that I've seen off of Cartoon Network like Yu Yu Hagaski, Inuyasha, and Trigun (since I rented an episode or two).

Just out of curiousity, where do most of you guys get your anime? I have a few R. Kenshin dvds, but stopped after like the 7th one, it got too expensive.
rolleyes.gif
Right now I just found a great site for d/l hi-quality anime, so have only 1-31 for Inuyasha and then 1-9 Trigun.

Do you guys thinking these would be available at blockbuster/hollywood video? Or do you get them from places like Netflix? Say anybody selling these things online?
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back