Anyone? IE8s, Westone 3s, or Westone 4s for my music/preferences???
Feb 19, 2011 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jjb3

100+ Head-Fier
Which for my next IEM?

Please do not respond with what you have read. Respond only if you have personal experience with any of these phones. I have read many of the reviews, and have a feel for each of them, but now am looking for actual users' input/comparisons/etc.

Background: Not a huge basshead, but I definitely do not like nuetral sounding phines. IE7 is my ideal sound sig. Superfi 5 EB ok, but too muddy. Also liked UM2s and RE252s, but that was about as neutral as I could go. Hated Superfi 5 Pros. Hated anything Shure.

Genres: Rap, Techno/Dance, Classic Rock, Metal, Pop, some Acoustic

Source: IPod or IPhone

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had the IE8 and now have W4. No expierience of W3.

Your sources and music types are similar to mine. If you can get them, the W4 should be right up your street. If you aren't a basshead, the IE8s will probably be too much for you.

The W4 has a more balanced sound to my ears, without being neutrals.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for replies I should add that i find the IE7s lacking in extension into lower bass but like all else. How do the 4s compare to 7s in this area? Or would 8s make more sense?

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #5 of 6
I haven't heard the 7's so can't comment on those. For me, the 8's had plenty of bass. They was a shed load of it but (and I'm going from memory here) but without the definition seperating the real lows from the mids. They were (and are) sweet-ass IEMs, but I struggled to get a good fit. I found I had to really insert them deep in my ears. My W4 on the other hand, fit right in my ear, and don't move. I've no problems with fit on these, espiecally when using the Shure Olives or gray silicons. While there isn't as much bass as whats in the 8; well depending on where the adjustment indicator is at I suppose, the bass is better detailed. I would have considered myself to be a basshead, and thats one reason why I had the 8's, but TBH, I don't miss it because I find the W4 has better quality. They are both quality IEMs, I dont think you would regret either. I still think given the original post, W4 would be the one that I would go for. Its that old thing, do you want quantity or quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back