Anyone IDENTIFY these headphones ?
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

luvmusik

100+ Head-Fier
here nor there/in Omega-Lambda Land, Farts B Minor

These two headphones are a mystery.

The first one is a Cherry wood headphone, that's all I know - the cherry may refer to the wood color or the wood type.

The second one is an OEM bamboo wood headphone badged Sony. Frequency response range 20 Hz to 20 KHz, sensitivity 102 db, 32 ohm impedence.
I think the bamboo is dyed/stained red. It appears on rediff.com site in India selling from Gadget Kingdom in Mumbai, unfamiliar with that site. It's all I know.

Interested in these two headphones, I am in USA. Would like to know more about these and if available.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 11
Yep, them's headphones alright.  
wink_face.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 11
The Sony's are knock-offs.
- http://shopping.rediff.com/product/sony-bamboo-wood-stereo-headphones-universal-3-5mm-oem/13213198
These are not genuine Sony headphones - even the Sony Logo uses the wrong font. Just ignore it.

May 1, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 11
All good info posted. Thanks !

When I saw these fotos, I liked the "look" of both sets, ready to explore their sound.

Realized the first foto was from an artist's site, using the depiction for a "model" representing any headphone for artistic renderings; yet, still looked like a familiar set.

Those look really close to the Victor JVC as posted in #2, and may be more money than I wanted to experiment with, but that is the mystery familiar set I was seeking.

The second set also struck me as imitations; I didn't noticed the difference in the Sony logo, which now makes sense. Saw the "OEM" designation & an unfamiliar Indian site which won't ship these to USA (all 3 sellers), thinking that is odd. What floored me after checking is the price  = $ 8 only !!! That led me to think they were intended for walkmans, yet don't look collaspible.

Knowing Sony doesn't always export all their gear (some of their best stays in Japan), this set is sold in India & nowhere else so must be knock-offs. If they export to India, we would see the cans in other countries, in Sony's site list of products, or maybe in their exclusive non-export product listing. Their annual shareholder's report reveals some very cool non-exports detailed over many past years. Wish we could all easily get some of that interesting gear.

Curious how the Sony knockoff sounds, but at that price they most likely are very poor & as advised, best to ignore. They may have a characterisic sound of "dollar-store"  $1  headphones !

When I initially saw the nice finish, thought these Sony knock-offs might be worth pursuing.  If they sound decent, it would be a surprise.

If we know any headfi'er in India willing to take a stab at them, it would be interesting to hear the impressions, just out of curiousity.

Wonder if the bamboo-wood is part of the actual cup chamber or just a cover glued to an enclosed plastic chamber.

If it is wood in the chamber, at the price, they could serve as nice cups for a project-set to build better cans with good drivers. Maybe installing good drivers could result in a real nice set.

May 1, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 11
Hah! 
I just googled what 499 rupees would be in euros! (7!)
I would probably pick these up just to see if they were real wood. I've got plenty of half decent spare drivers to transplant into them if they sound like poop, since they do look alright'ish.

May 1, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #10 of 11
Hey GREQ,
It's a good idea. If you or anyone you know can buy from that site (it's in India), I'll chip in too. The site only ships to certain countries. The 3 sellers of the Sony knockoffs don't ship the headphones to USA (I already tried). But, if someone is making an order and can have them shipped successfully to where they are, count me in for a pair and I would pay the price for a set of headphones with shipping to me here in USA, and a little extra for the time & effort. I would like to have a set if you and others are getting some. At the cheap selling price, they can always be used for parts !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back