Anyone here like the album Legend by Bob Merly and the Wailers ?
Jul 13, 2001 at 10:14 AM Post #16 of 16
Truly, just about any Bob Marley album is worth investigating (personal favorites: Natty Dread, Catch a Fire, and Uprising). I just picked up the boxed set -- Songs of Freedom -- and it's a fabulous investment for the hardcore, as there's a bevy of unreleased mixes and fascinating early tracks.

If you're interested in branching out into some other wonderful reggae:

Peter Tosh - Legalize It and Equal Rights
(More of the revolutionary themes and rocksteady beats... he started out with Marley, singing backup)

Toots and the Maytals - Funky Kingston
(Reggae Got Soul... he's really a soul singer, who also happens to be a reggae musician. He also is credited with popularizing the word 'reggae'... had a track called 'Do the Reggay' way back when ska was the order of the day)

And the soundtrack to The Harder They Come, which might well be the best soundtrack... ever. absolutely killer stuff by bands that never made it big, as well as great tracks from Jimmy Cliff and Toots.

Past that, there's still more great stuff. Burning Spear, Mutabaruka, Black Uhuru, the Mighty Diamonds...

Well, I've digressed enough, I think. Hell, I love it all, and I could keep talking; but, seeing as it's about 5 AM here, I'll sleep instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back