anyone heard the Sony D-CJ500 PCDP/MP3
Jul 12, 2002 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
i've read all the posts on the sony d-cj01, but nothing on this newer cheaper unit. no lineout i know, it's a little thinner and $30 less. plus it's sony's "second generation" player.

since they blister-pack these things....how can you know?

plus the iRiver (cost aside) is also unavailable to hear b4 buying.

Jul 17, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 4
well for $100, i took a chance and bought this unit.

after several hours of listening (Senn mx500 and Koss 35), i would say this player is "average good." after listening on a lot of portables, i have come to the conclusion that above a certain threshold of decent sound, most improvements can only be made through headphones and/or amps. there is no such thing as an audiophile portable. but that is a topic for a whole other thread!

sound is good: no hiss or other non-musical noise; treble is slightly rolled off.....makes for non-fatiguing listening, but a little less crisp than i like. bass is very good...even with the earbuds, i do not use the megabass setting. imaging and dynamic range are as expected -- minimal. Surprisingly, i like the sound better on MP3's (using 320 kbps CBR). The highs are cleaner and there is actually a sense of soundstage and space between instruments.

functionality: good basic unit. uses AA batteries (30 hour life) which i happen to prefer to recharging. listening at work, i use an ac adapter (not included btw). minimal LCD readout...just enough to know what's on. it will support CD text...nice. no sure yet on navigation in an MP3 CD....so far i have just listened either stright through or random. skip protection is amazing....short of breaking the unit, i could nt even make it skip once.

Aug 8, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey howdy.

It sounds like you like your new unit, and I'm really glad to hear it. I owned a Sony D-CJ506CK for 26 hours before I returned it. I strongly believe the unit I bought was defective. I mean MASSIVELY defective. On every CD I played, the low range (about 125 hertz and down) clipped. It was like the bass was skipping but the rest of the music played on. This was a problem with both G protection settings, and Bass 1 and Bass 2 only aggrevated the problem.
confused.gif

I was really disappointed the player didn't work well, because I really liked it aesthetically. I'm glad to hear your unit works fine. Even though I had the 506 and you have the 500, I think they're siblings. Maybe the one I picked up just got banged around a little too much in the blister packaging. You're right, though. That G-protection skip stuff is amazing. I think the only way to skip it is to actually break the player! Hope you enjoy your new unit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peace and chicken grease

Aug 8, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi Robster, have you ever tried encoding any VBR mp3s? It would be nice to know how those work on this new Sony, since the D-CJ01 didn't work all that well with them.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back