Anyone heard the Pro-ject Head Box?
Aug 15, 2002 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ian Milton

New Head-Fier
Pro-ject, a company that makes turntables has recently brought out a headphone amp called the head box. Has anyone heard it or know how it rates against others?

Ian

Aug 15, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 6
No, I haven't heard it, but...
Your name is Ian too! Neat
smily_headphones1.gif

Take it easy,

Ian

Dec 11, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey there,
I happen to own one, I got it when I was in Singapore.
Not bad for a £150 amp.

Cheerio

Dec 11, 2002 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 6
Ian: Try the search function. I'm not too happy about mine, and TimS (at least I think it was him) didn't like his unit very much, either. To my ears, even the old version of the Porta Corda does a much better job.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 11, 2002 at 9:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Opened the thingy: I found some Jamicon and Yaego elcaps near the power input together with two larger three-pin ics that looked liked 78xx/79xx power regulators, some smaller plastic caps near two ne5532p opamps, quite a lot of resistors that looked liked 1% metal types and two pairs of c327/c337 transistors per output. The two pots and the input selector switch didn't look very expensive, but I couldn't find the making. Soldering looked decent. The board itself has the trademark of Edgar (www.edgar.sk) printed on - so it doesn't even seem that Pro-Ject make this amp by themselves. Any idea, whether this is a well-known design?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 11, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, didn't like it much, no real improvement in sound. No WOW effect like with my Corda.

I phoned their online shop and they told me they manufactor it in Czechoslovakia, is that where Pro-Ject usually builds their stuff ?

greetings,
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back