Anyone Heard the new Toshiba SD-4960?
Jun 3, 2004 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

coolbluesurface

Head-Fier
Looking for reviews or comments on the new Toshiba CDP that plays both DVD-A and SACD.

Wonder if it has the same (or even better) audio quality as the 3950/3960/4900 which have been applauded as great budget sources.

The only retailer I can find so far is J&R, for $150 U.S.: http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...F+Audio+Player

Jun 3, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, none of the PCM175x converters are DSD compatible, so it's likely this model will have a DAC chip from a different family, albeit possibly a different TI product. It will be interesting to see who gets one first and opens it up to see what's inside. Depending upon the chip and design, it could be possible to get the same performance improvements as with the 39x0 line.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 13
Jul 30, 2004 at 7:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Bump.

So, has anyone listened to the SD-4960?

Jul 30, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 13
Alright, thanks.

Jul 30, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi guys:

There are a few inmates at the Asylum that already have these units and starting to break-in them. What they have found until now is that these units has nothing to do with the mighty SD-3960. Ric Shultz , Alex Peychev , BobM and Modman are among the guys who are considering the SD-4960 for modifications.

Apparently, the SD-4960 is in reality a Samsung HD-841. Toshiba rebashed the unit , so the innards of the two Tosh are not similar. Ric name it SUMIBA ( after SAMsung and toshIBA). Alex doesn't find a service manual for the 4960, neither parts in case....but if thwy are the same just have the one from the Samsung as well as their parts.

The HD-841 has HDI contrary to the SD-4960 but the reports at AVS Forum are that the 841 has drop out problems with DTS material.

Also, the SACD chips in the 4960 seems to be decent but the transport is a bit cheesee.

Bobm has the SD-3960 and Modman too, and they said that out of the box the 4960 is much better. Don't know about picture quality.

The stock price for the Samsung has dropped due to the problems informed ( seems to be..) and the Toshiba is around $150.00. If you don't need the video section go for the SUMIBA, if you do, go with the HD-941 ( next to come).

Me?..good, thanks but still breaking my head. I'm selling my digital stuff ( Dac/DIP.etc) but I'm not sure if I will better keeping them and use a SD-4960 as a transport????????

Jose.

Aug 2, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Hey Jose. As I have learned in the last week you are clearing house for audio information. In the event you have not received your official welcome, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks Tyrion. I really like this Forum and find myself very confortable. I see there are a few Latinos too ( Raul Saavedra is a fantastic person).

Yes, I'm gathering information on a few units and the SD-4960 is one of them. We have to keep an eye on these units for the next few weeks since, like the SD-3960, is going to be tweakable.

Sony is coming with a few units too and the best part is that some of them are going to play just CD/SACD..for us looking for a audio oriented unit without DVD/DVD-A.

Thanks,

Jose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back