Anyone heard / own USB Wireworld Starlight, Starlight 7, or Starlight USB 3.0?
Dec 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #46 of 82
  Great info, love it!

This is a kind of experience that costs a lot of money and requires great effort, and we are getting it in one neat post, for free :) Thanks Lappy27, appreciate you sharing this :)

I had a similar experience with Pangea Silver USB; it had more bass, sounded slightly warmer and more substantial than Starlight 7 but seemed to have less resolution. Now I am trying to go back to Pangea and do more listening as I agree, S7 seem to sound a bit edgy/harsh.

Has anyone had any experience with Kimber/Cardas (silver) USB cables? I was wondering how they would compare to Starlight 7 (I found performance of Kimber interconnects/HDMI to be very good so now I am curious about USB).

Judging from your post, it sounds like it would be worth going back to the search and trying some more options.

You're welcome NotAnAngel :)

In fact, after calculation, I invested (I prefer this word to lost) about $200 in this search project for the best USB cable I could afford for my system. I knew it from the start and accepted that fact. I saw it as a R & D. This is part of the game if you really want to experiment with more options than your original purchase. I don't have any single regrets. I heard significant differences from all the cables and I choose the one I prefered for my taste in my system. Of course, it happened that the one I liked the most (by far) was also the most expensive! I really wished USB cables made no differences. I could have invested this money in music purchase. But the simple and sad truth is USB cables do sound different and have huge impact of the result you get in your system.

If you're ready to invest some money and also important, time (break in of cables is important), I really encourage you to do so. You're evaluation of the S7 reflected mine and I think you will never be satisfied with this sonic signature. The S7 was, in my system, the cable I disliked the most apart from the flat, veiled and dull sounding generic cable.

BTW, there is a general consensus that silver is a better conductor than copper but that could be compensate by increasing the gage of the copper conductor. Silver is more expensive than copper, hence the higher price of the cables made with this material. Some manufacturers make Silver clad/plated conductors with great results to reduce the cost. But some some really expensive cable and highly regarded USB cables like Light Harmonic Lightspeed at $999 is silver clad/copper. Even my Transparent Premium is silver clad copper but in a extra large size conductors design with quadruple isolation from external/internal noise. 

If you like to have really good resolution, air and details without harshness and with a satisfying bass, I highly suggest you the Silnote Poseidon Silver 7N if you can find it for about $150 to $200. A much better sounding cable thann the S7. I am sure you will be pleased.

But if you want to have it all (resolution, air, total silence between notes, realism and accuracy of timbre, deep, tight and extremely accurate and impactful bass AND musicality), accept to shell out about $500 on the Transparent Premium and be done with it. It is so much superior to the highly regarded as a reference Audioquest Diamond in my system. In all sonic parameters.

Finally, I will be comparing my Premium to a custom made 20AWG OCC silver extra large conductors somewhere in the beginning of 2014. The conceptor is Steven Huang of AudioSensibility, a canadian cables and power accesories (iI bought is Power Distribution box - fantastic performance over my now sold PS Audio Power Plant regenerator) maker. Highly knowledgeable, skilled and passionate guy to deal with. I actually have his Statement USB (24AWGOCC silver conductor) cable with me for an evaluation. His cable is better than the Silnote, on par with the Diamond but behind the Premium on my last comparison but it didn't have a full 200 hours of burn in. Now it have, I will do more comparison in my holidays vacation.

Regards.

Steve

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #49 of 82
I would love to do some double-blind testing on the folks who hear a difference between various USB cables. I simply do NOT see how the digital path can have any real effect on the audio unless it is simply failing (i.e. bad cable.) 

Since the only path that can really be affected by the cable is the analog +5v/GND power path, a double blind study would really allow you to identify the differences without any placebo effect.

tl;dr: never trust your own brain too much.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #50 of 82
  I would love to do some double-blind testing on the folks who hear a difference between various USB cables. I simply do NOT see how the digital path can have any real effect on the audio unless it is simply failing (i.e. bad cable.) 

Since the only path that can really be affected by the cable is the analog +5v/GND power path, a double blind study would really allow you to identify the differences without any placebo effect.

If you do sufficient research, there is a lot of material on how jitter applies to USB as well. 

I do agree that a double blind test should be how all tests are done as the placebo effect is potentially a factor. 

I definitely appreciate a skeptic that is interested in finding out the truth and not just throw around unsubstantiated statements. You wouldn't be able to tell from what I've posted here so far but I too am a skeptic. 

So far I've tried stock and entry level cables and I thought that an Audioquest Forest sounded better when I tested it but I doubt I would be able to pick them out in a double blind test. My girlfriend did pick the Wireworld cable over the stock cable in a double blind test (that I conducted) though. This lead me to believe that there could be more to this. My ears might just not be acute enough. Since then I've purchased an expensive cable (waiting for it to arrive next week). I will be trying this cable to see if it makes any appreciable difference. If it does not or if the difference is negligible, I will definitely report this result here too. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #51 of 82

There is a forum for DBT and this IS NOT IT. It's considered a safe haven for subjective experiences. As strongly as you think DBT is a standard and infallible, there's also a feeling that uneducated listening tests are flawed and useless.

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #52 of 82
I acknowledge that I don't understand everything about electronics and audio and I will at least give it a try before judging. One forgets that in something as subjective as sound and music, if the listener thinks it is better then they will get increased enjoyment regardless of whether it is placebo or not. In such a case the user has gotten his money's worth. Of course this can be an issue when recommending said placebo to others who want something substantial. 

Either way the believers have the right to believe and share impressions. If someone has tried and found no difference, I am sure no-one will hold it against them if they shared this.

However, one should not come in here with nonconstructive criticisms or broad sweeping statements without sufficient knowledge to back it up and wonder why they are not welcome. 

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #53 of 82
Jan 3, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #54 of 82
hi all,
just bought me a starlight7, and after reading this, thread, i'm thinking i might have made a mistake :p
i plan on using it with my new X-Sabre DAC.
could you please elaborate on the "thin" and "harsh" sound?
what are you using the cable for (link directly to usb input of the DAC, or do you use it for a usb to spdif transmitter).
is it that thin compared to other cables? i like bass as much as the next fellow, but if my sound is vailed, then no thanks :p
could someone recommend a cable has more low end than the starlight7, but is transparent, and 3d? (within the same price range ~100$$ - someone here was talking audioquest diamond.. i have no doubt it is better :p)

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #55 of 82
Hi, 

My personal recommendation is for you to use the cable and burn it in for hundred plus hours and if you like the sound then you should just hang on to it. I know many who love the Starlight 7 and think that it's awesome. 

Some people love the Audioquest Carbon whereas some don't like it at all. Some have said the Audioquest Forest (entry level) tops the more expensive ones in their system. In my experience the Audioquest Forest is definitely superior to the Wireworld Ultraviolet but Starlight 7 is meant to be a significant improvement on the both of them. I have no first hand experience though. 

Chord Silver Plus is a highly recommended "first usb cable". It is meant to be slightly less revealing than the Starlight 7 but have a more enjoyable signature. 

Another potentially very good cable in that price range is the Black Cat Silverstar USB (I own this one). 

Other good ones I know of include Cardas Clear, Kimber Kable Cu(copper) (I own this one too) or Ag(silver) USB. 

In the end though, every system is different and every preference is different. Give the Starlight a shot first. 

Almost every USB cable manufacturer recommend a good burn in to get the most from the cable. See how you like the Starlight after 100-200 hours burn in.

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #56 of 82
thanks for the impressions.

thing is, i have yet to receive the starlight7 as i ordered it 2 days ago.
it is interesting you should mention the audioquest forest. wanted to get that one, but then i got a little more $$ left over from the holidays and i went for the wireworld
if you have any experience with the forest, cinnamon, and ultraviolet, could you please try to identify some of the main characteristics/differences between them?

thanks much !

Jan 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #57 of 82
I must say that I haven't been able to discern major difference in USB cable but I will give you the main points. 

Normal USB Cables (Normal B - like the USB printer cables) - Tested on Schiit Modi
1. Audioquest Forest - Noticeably clearer and smoother than stock/cheap cables (and Ultraviolet). Has been burnt in for 40 hours+. Sounded better than stock cables out of the box but was more noticeable after the few hours of burn in. My results verified by my non-audiophile girlfriend in a blind test and a fellow head-fier at my workplace who has a belkin gold usb cable. 
2. WW Ultraviolet - Could barely tell it apart from the stock cable. Only burnt in for 20+ hours but I can't be bothered as I doubt it will make more than a miniscule improvement. Worst of the lot. Also verified by the above mentioned people. 

Mini USB Cables (mini B - like the old portable hard disks) - Tested on RSA Predator Dac/Amp and MuteAudio PupDAC
3. WW Ultraviolet 5.2 - Slightly better than stock cable. It IS noticeable but it's subtle. Burnt in for 150+ hours. Results concurred by another Headfier at my work place (not the same as the one who tested the Forest). 
4. Kimber Kable Cu - Didn't A-B with the Ultraviolet 5.2 but it wasn't harsh at the start and after 100+ hours burn in it sounds great. Better than I remember the Ultraviolet 5.2 sounded. Nobody has verified this as I haven't yet setup a test.

Coming Soon
Black Cat Silverstar USB cable... waiting on my ASUS Xonar Essence One Muses Edition DAC to arrive as I would expect the improvement on that to be more pronounced than the Modi. In my impatience I might test it with the Modi on Monday. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #58 of 82
wooooow...
did not expect that from the ultraviolet :frowning2: it was on my to by list.
actually i chose between the starlight7 and the audioquest cinnamon.. starting to regret my choice..
i will post some impressions when the cable gets here... but damn.
also, would not have thought the forest would outshine the ultraviolet so much.. all things i could find, these 2 cables were pretty close.
thanks for the opinion, and if anybody else has experience with the cinnamon i would like to hear it. prefferably in comparison to starlight 7
thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #59 of 82
A couple of interesting things from my research... the people who liked the forest preferred it to even the higher end Audioquest offerings! Like I said, some used the Forest as a stepping stone to $100+ cables and never looked back. Some said they ditched the others and went back to Forest. 

On the other hand I have not met anyone who said they liked the Ultraviolet more than the Starlight. You either like the Wireworld signature or you don't. If you do then you are likely to much prefer the Starlight. If not then just get a different cable. 

I just did a test after making my post I did an A-B test between the Ultraviolet 5.2 and the Kimber Kable Cu. 

Results: 

Ultraviolet 5.2: In some songs, some instruments were clearer. Less bass than Kimber Cu. Slightly narrower soundstage and a little more congestion. 

Kimber Kable Cu: More bass! Makes me think that the extra "clarity" in the ultraviolet was perhaps an absence of bass presence and therefore I could hear more detail in mid and treble. Trying different songs also showed that the soundstage was wider with the Kimber. 

Personal preference: The Ultraviolet is good but the Kimber is better. The Ultraviolet has about 5% more perceived detail but the Kimber has about 20-30% more bass presence and still plenty of detail. I believe that they both cost about the same at around $50ish. 

I believe that the Starlight will be an much improved version of the Ultraviolet but if you find that it lacks bass then you will be better off with another cable. It's hard to know without first trying. If you do like their signature, I hear that Starlight is amazing value for money. 

I got the Kimber from here: https://www.gcaudio.com/cgi-bin/store/showProduct.cgi?id=592

Obviously if you will be after the normal B one and not the mini B one unless you have a portable DAC. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #60 of 82
  wooooow...
did not expect that from the ultraviolet :frowning2: it was on my to by list.
actually i chose between the starlight7 and the audioquest cinnamon.. starting to regret my choice..
i will post some impressions when the cable gets here... but damn.
also, would not have thought the forest would outshine the ultraviolet so much.. all things i could find, these 2 cables were pretty close.
thanks for the opinion, and if anybody else has experience with the cinnamon i would like to hear it. prefferably in comparison to starlight 7
thanks!

You sound like a person who is quite into this hobby so why not just give the Starlight a nice burn in and then try it for a few weeks. Worse comes to worse sell it and try another... trying different things and finding out what you like is half the fun. :) 

Not trying the Starlight is one of my mini-regrets. I am a mini bass-head so I don't think the Starlight will suit me but then again I didn't think the Burson Soloist SL would suit me but I ended up using it as my primary amp instead of my old favorite, the ECP Audio Torpedo which I really loved. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back