Anyone have the Singlepower Suprs SDS-T yet?
Feb 16, 2005 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cableguy

New Head-Fier
Seen pictures of this bad boy in another thread and wondered anyone was lucky enough to have one yet? Is this a new model cause it's not listed on Mikail's site yet. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2005 at 9:59 AM Post #2 of 8
I have the SDS-T 2 box with tube power supply.I've had it since November,it's one smooth but detailed beast.

IMG_1527.jpg

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Ron N

How does is compare to the PPX3's you have? What upgrades did you add, if any? I currently have a Wooaudio 3 which I am pretty pleased with, but I've been itch'in to expand my horizons and have been reading good things about the Singlepower units (that is if you ignore the insides
icon10.gif
). Thanks.

Feb 16, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 8
There is a similarity in sound to the PPX3’s (using either 6CG7 or 6SN7 tubes) but the SDS-T has a fuller sound with better tone and is more laid back than the PPX3’s.This model is a lot more expensive than a PPX3 and is built to order so you could have any type of components you wish in it.You could also have it built into a pair of Maestro cases if you wanted although this option would add to the cost.

The one I have has a goldpoint stepped attenuator,silver wiring,jensen copper paper in oil coupling caps,blackgates,Solen output and power supply caps,Cardas RCA’s and Neutrik headphone jack.Most important of all are tubes,currently I’m using a Tungsol roundplate as input and a pair of Syl.1952 ‘bad boys’ as output.this combo sounds great with PS-1’s,HD650,HP1 & R10.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 8
I find it amusing that the power supply for that amp is nearly twice the size of the amp.

One day when I make more money (or when Hell freezes over, whichever comes first) I'd like to buy a Singlepower amp. Maybe a PPX3.

Feb 16, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
I find it amusing that the power supply for that amp is nearly twice the size of the amp.

One day when I make more money (or when Hell freezes over, whichever comes first) I'd like to buy a Singlepower amp. Maybe a PPX3.

The power supply is arguably the most important part of an amp.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 8
It would be most interesting to be able to compare the sound to a Tube Rectified Moth 2A3. Maybe we will see that happen at a meet sometime.
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
lambda.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn

A popular design philosophy for amplification circuits is to keep the gain stage as simple and high-quality as possible, and then make the power supply as big, beefy, and stiff as a board you can. It's not necessarily the best way, it's just one way of doing things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back