Anyone Have Info. on Samuels New Mobile Amp.?
Apr 25, 2004 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read one small mention on these forums. Anyone have any more details regarding this rumored mobile amp.? Price? Dimensions? Release date? How will it compare to the XP7? Search seems to be down. So I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Apr 25, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 30
This amp is called the Emmeline SR-71. The prototype measures barely larger than a pack of cigarettes, and is powered by two 9V batteries. Estimated battery life is at least 48 hours with alkaline batteries. It will be released in about a month or so, and will sell for an estimated $350.

I took a listen to this amp at yesterday's Chicago Head-Fi meet, and let's just say that the Airhead/Total Airhead's days - and potentially those of other highly-regarded pocket-sized amps, as well - are numbered.

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
This amp is called the Emmeline SR-71. The prototype measures barely larger than a pack of cigarettes, and is powered by two 9V batteries. Estimated battery life is at least 48 hours with alkaline batteries. It will be released in about a month or so, and will sell for an estimated $350.

I took a listen to this amp at yesterday's Chicago Head-Fi meet, and let's just say that the Airhead/Total Airhead's days - and potentially those of other highly-regarded pocket-sized amps, as well - are numbered.

How did this hold up to the XP7 soundwise? Sounds like this would be perfect for use with my iPod while traveling.

Apr 25, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1
How did this hold up to the XP7 soundwise? Sounds like this would be perfect for use with my iPod while traveling.

To be sure, the SR-71 is a bit less refined than its bigger brother, the XP-7. But that flaw is very forgivable, given the fact that the XP-7 is more of a "transportable" amp than a truly portable amp. The SR-71 is a truly portable amp, IMHO.

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

To be sure, the SR-71 is a bit less refined than its bigger brother, the XP-7. But that flaw is very forgivable, given the fact that the XP-7 is more of a "transportable" amp than a truly portable amp. The SR-71 is a truly portable amp, IMHO.

The manual seems a little complicated though
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jazz1
The manual seems a little complicated though
k1000smile.gif
k1000smile.gif

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

goddang a manual over hundred pages! okay this amp is serious business! don't think i'd qualify to own one.

Eagle_Driver : how does it compare to the Porta Corda II ? another portable amp.. i think its only fair to compare portable amps with it..

anybody has pictures of this lean mean amp that even comes with a manual?
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 30
I was looking for a Larroco PR...

Do you think you that it could be an alternative ?
confused.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 30
Sounds bigger than the Superduel and not something that could easily fit in the same pocket as an Ipod for example. Even if the sound of the SD isn't as good as the SR-71 I would probably go with the SD for portability reasons.

Apr 26, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 30
Ditto, although I would consider having the SuperDual for real portability, the SR-71 for in-house portability (replacing my XP-7), and then an HR-2 or Stealth for my main full-sized rig. Hmmm, sounds like I may be spending some more money....

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 30
Todd just posted pre-sale for this bad boy. Anyone from the Chicago meet have photos of it? I would love to see how big it is compared to the XP-7 or other portable amps (LaRocco, etc.).

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Todd has it priced at $395 right now, so there is a drastic difference between the SR-71 and the AH/TAH/Xin amps of the world. I think there will still be a place for the <$200 ultra-portable amps in the Head-Fi community.

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

In that case it would be a good match for the LR PR... in size , not in price...

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #14 of 30
You guys are so gullible. look at that manual again
rolleyes.gif

I posted pics of the SR71 prototype on the first page of the Chicago meet thread in the member's lounge. Ray has been notoriously goofy with pricing and if I know him as well as I think,he's likely charging little more than it costs him to build the SR71. A look inside reveals incredible build quality and attention to detail. My ears were shot at the meet but the response from the attendees was very favorable.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 30
Yet another exciting development in the world of portable amps! We now have the SuperDual, Pocket Reference, 2003 Airhead/Bithead and SR-71. So many wonderful choices and I haven't heard any of them yet!
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back