Anyone feeling Radiohead's "Hail to the thief" album?
Apr 25, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #31 of 39
I don't give HTF the complete album listen that i do their other ones. I usually just jump between tracks, with "Go to Sleep" being one of my favs.

I don't like it as a complete entity like the other ones, though it is still a fabulous album.

Apr 26, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #32 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by claymon
I don't give HTF the complete album listen that i do their other ones. I usually just jump between tracks, with "Go to Sleep" being one of my favs.

I don't like it as a complete entity like the other ones, though it is still a fabulous album.

Same deal here. I like many of the songs but I don't find myself listening to the whole album in one sitting like I could with OK computer. I really love the dry handclaps in "We Suck Young Blood".

Apr 26, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #33 of 39
we suck young blood is probably my favourite track from the album.

Apr 26, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #34 of 39
I can't listen to HTTF from beginning to end, but I like the whole sound and mood of the album and the artwork... That said, this probably won't be one of them that they're remembered for... One of those solid albums in between greater things.

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #37 of 39
This one took a while to grow on me and I definitely like it much better now than when I first heard it, but I still don't think it's their best.

Interestingly enough, it has what I think are some of their best songs.
"2 + 2 = 5" & "Sail To The Moon" are masterpieces.
The former being the most ROCKING song these guys have written, the latter the most beautiful, dramatic, haunting one.

The problem I have is that midway through the album I lose interest.
It's not that it's a long album, just that are few songs seem dull.

But hey, they WERE on a roll from The Bends to Amnesiac! That's 4 EXCELLENT (well Bends was near-excellent) successive albums, not many bands can boast of this.

Apr 27, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #38 of 39
HTTT is so horribly underrated. It's such a fantastic album. Stylistically, it's my favourite in their discography due to its sheer diversity and as far as songwriting goes, it's almost on the level of OK Computer. IMO it's significantly better than Kid A, which is generally viewed as the band's second best.

HTTT has so many classics. It covers many different styles brilliantly. It has great pieces of hard-hitting electronic music (Sit Down, Stand Up), more ambient Kid A-sounding songs (Backdrifts, The Gloaming), beautiful piano-based songs (Sail To The Moon), simple but pretty ballads (I Will), catchy acoustic rock (Go To Sleep, There There), and even a song with very singable lyrics and Pink Floyd-esque background music (A Wolf At The Door). And of course, we can't forget Where I End And You Begin, which is easily one of the greatest songs Radiohead has ever written. It's so dark, yet catchy with an almost alien lifeform-like sound to the synthesizers. That song absolutely blows me away every time I listen to it.

Overall, I think the album is incredible. It's as good as anything else they've ever released, IMO.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyyoudvd
HTTT is so horribly underrated. It's such a fantastic album. Stylistically, it's my favourite in their discography due to its sheer diversity and as far as songwriting goes, it's almost on the level of OK Computer. IMO it's significantly better than Kid A, which is generally viewed as the band's second best.

HTTT has so many classics. It covers many different styles brilliantly. It has great pieces of hard-hitting electronic music (Sit Down, Stand Up), more ambient Kid A-sounding songs (Backdrifts, The Gloaming), beautiful piano-based songs (Sail To The Moon), simple but pretty ballads (I Will), catchy acoustic rock (Go To Sleep, There There), and even a song with very singable lyrics and Pink Floyd-esque background music (A Wolf At The Door). And of course, we can't forget Where I End And You Begin, which is easily one of the greatest songs Radiohead has ever written. It's so dark, yet catchy with an almost alien lifeform-like sound to the synthesizers. That song absolutely blows me away every time I listen to it.

Overall, I think the album is incredible. It's as good as anything else they've ever released, IMO.

Hear hear! I totally agree, killer album...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back