Anyone familiar with the older Thorens models?
Sep 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ABathingApe

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Posts
558
Likes
10
Location
Calgary, AB
I have the opportunity to buy an Thorens TD 165 or a Thorens TD 125 MKII for about the same price. I did read some reviews where the 125 improved after the tone arm is changed out. And I know the 160's at least, not sure about the 165's, are a pretty legendary turntable. I'm buying used and just looking to enter my way into buying vinyl.

Any help is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
.
 
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 6

ssportclay

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Posts
1,335
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the opportunity to buy an Thorens TD 165 or a Thorens TD 125 MKII for about the same price. I did read some reviews where the 125 improved after the tone arm is changed out. And I know the 160's at least, not sure about the 165's, are a pretty legendary turntable. I'm buying used and just looking to enter my way into buying vinyl.

Any help is greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
.



The Thorens TD-165 was made during the same years as the TD-160 and was less expensive mainly due to a different tonearm and both turntables are the same size. The TD-125 MKII was their much heavier top of the line unit which also has more electronics. Go for the TD-125 but since it was a more complicated machine, more things may need repaired like sticky switches and dried out capacitors. Tonearms of either model are not a deciding factor. They are serviceable but much better tonearms are made these days. If you are picky about sound and want to extract maximum detail with little coloration, you will probably want a better more modern tonearm at some point.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 6

ABathingApe

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 24, 2008
Posts
558
Likes
10
Location
Calgary, AB
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Thorens TD-165 was made during the same years as the TD-160 and was less expensive mainly due to a different tonearm and both turntables are the same size. The TD-125 MKII was their much heavier top of the line unit which also has more electronics. Go for the TD-125 but since it was a more complicated machine, more things may need repaired like sticky switches and dried out capacitors. Tonearms of either model are not a deciding factor. They are serviceable but much better tonearms are made these days. If you are picky about sound and want to extract maximum detail with little coloration, you will probably want a better more modern tonearm at some point.


Thanks ssportclay,

I'm actually completed prepared to shell out for a new tonearm and belt, even a new cartridge. I have had the recommendation that since these items are ~30 years old, and especially with the 125 since they have so many parts and features it is just much more to fix. I'm going to take a look at the 165 this weekend, and see what kind of condition it is.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 6

NightOwl

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Posts
918
Likes
10
The TD 125 is a far superior turntable to the TD 160/ TD 165. Set up properly it's comparable to a Linn LP12 (and some consider it better). The main bearing is much better than the TD 160's as are the springs (although these can be upgraded) and the platter.

The major difference that I found between the TD 160 and the TD 165 is that the 165 uses a plastic inner platter which just robs the sound of dynamics in comparison to the 160.

If you're prepared to upgrade the tonearm, then get the TD 125. Even if it costs you a few more bucks to get it professionally repaired the potential is much higher.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 6

ssportclay

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 27, 2003
Posts
1,335
Likes
11
I actually bought a TD-160 when they were out in the 70s and still own it. I would much rather have had a TD-125 but they cost over twice as much. At least I can move this turntable around without any help.
 
Sep 12, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 6

NightOwl

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Posts
918
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually bought a TD-160 when they were out in the 70s and still own it. I would much rather have had a TD-125 but they cost over twice as much. At least I can move this turntable around without any help.


I also owned a TD 160 in the early 80's. I never had a TD 125 although I worked on a couple. I meant to pick one up but never got around to it as something else always caught my interest first.

Eat your Wheaties
tongue.gif
. The 125 is pretty substantial and even wider than some audio racks. I don't think you'd want to move it around too much anyway once it's set up.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top