Anyone excited about the Wii Fit?
Mar 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
It looks like the Wii Fit is set for release in North America in three weeks. Reviews of the Japanese version seem to be really good. Anyone else excited?

Jock strap + Wii strap = Win?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 23
I am! The step and snowboarding exercises are what I'm looking forward to the most
smily_headphones1.gif

I've also been meaning to get DDR, Brawl (still haven't gotten it!
frown.gif
), and Umbrella Chronicles for some time.. (And in the future, Rock Band!) The only game I play on the Wii right now is GH3 xD
Hopefully I'll end up preordering Wii Fit sooner or later.

By the way, isn't being released on May 19th (seven weeks or so, according to GameSpot)?

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 23
meh not really. I can't get excited at any of nintedo's offerings

Mar 31, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 23
I am, though I don't have a Wii. Just find the Nintendo path far more interesting than the competition and curious what they spawn with a wider net and influence. Maybe it's the similar Apple fan in me, but Wii Fit is just one more reason Nintendo has more open eyes and mind than the 128th FPS released for the other platforms.

Still can't quite find the time to game. Watching interested from the sidelines though.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am, though I don't have a Wii. ... but Wii Fit is just one more reason Nintendo has more open eyes and mind than the 128th FPS released for the other platforms.

That's my feeling too. I don't have a Wii yet either, but the Fit will probably push me over the edge. I don't have any interest in the other consoles since I don't have any time for anything other than casual gaming. I wish Beautiful Katamari would come out for the Wii though.

BetaLyr, you're right, I was off by a month in the Wii Fit release date
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am, though I don't have a Wii. Just find the Nintendo path far more interesting than the competition and curious what they spawn with a wider net and influence. Maybe it's the similar Apple fan in me, but Wii Fit is just one more reason Nintendo has more open eyes and mind than the 128th FPS released for the other platforms.

Still can't quite find the time to game. Watching interested from the sidelines though.

I find that most people that don't like the Wii, or Nintendo in general, fit into that crowd, where people think that virtual killing is a better way to spend their time. "The Wii is too kiddy. I'm too hardcore to play such non-violent and wholesome games." FPSs have their place, but like you said, it's a crowded place.

Am I excited the Wii Fit? I think it's great, though I also don't own a Wii. Who would have thought exercise could be fun? It seems to be a pretty versatile add-on that is ripe for experimentation, much like how the iPhone/iPod touch have such a thriving programming community making such cool programs using the accelerometer and multi-touch screen. It's pretty clever how it can interpret weight distribution in the feet to mean your body is leaning this way and that. Can't wait to see what comes of the Wii Fit.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #10 of 23
Why don't you actually exercise instead of buying the game to tell you to move your body? Are guys that lazy? Nothing against Wii but this is really stupid, teaching us more how to be lazy. Just get a platform or even a book and pretend you're a moron waving your arms around on top of it... Such a stupid idea. Plus that's not exactly going to make you fit since it doesn't burn much calories and you are in almost stationary place.

Mar 31, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you actually exercise instead of buying the game to tell you to move your body? Are guys that lazy? Nothing against Wii but this is really stupid, teaching us more how to be lazy. Just get a platform or even a book and pretend you're a moron waving your arms around on top of it... Such a stupid idea. Plus that's not exactly going to make you fit since it doesn't burn much calories and you are in almost stationary place.

Maybe it's better to know what the Wii Fit is trying to be, than criticize it for what it isn't. Just a thought (and I didn't even use "moron" and "stupid")!

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 23
Beside the fact it's called the "Wii Fit", I still see it as a rather entertaining game and yet another cool idea from Nintendo. Also, the Wii is one of the very few consoles that makes it fun to watch the people that are playing games on it....let alone how entertaining they are after a few drinks
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 23
I just can't get excited because all the wii is doing for me is brining the arcade into the home. Nintendo is doing well but how about the 3rd party which will make the console worth playing down the line.

Mar 31, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The game can be used as a tool to encourage exercise. Not everyone exercises, because either they're too lazy, it's inconvenient, there's no time, or some other reason. Wii Fit is an easy-to-use, user-friendly game, so people are more likely to play, and this could even lead to people actually spending time exercising.
Besides, it's not only to lose weight. Like others have said, it's just for fun and entertainment.

Also, video games can also be used to lose weight. A research project that I've been working on has led me to research things like implementing video games in school. In fact, games like DDR are being in used in phys ed classes in states like West Virginia; the kids are enjoying it, and they're healthier than ever.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/30/health/30exer.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back