Anyone ever take apart a Little Dot MK III or IV?
Oct 26, 2008 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

atomiccow

100+ Head-Fier
Two of the three resistors lining the back of the main board on my LD MK IV have blown. This amp is approximately four months old and there is no way I am spending 150 USD in shipping to get this thing repaired. Replacing the resistors should be simple and cheap. The only problem is that i have no idea how to take this thing apart. The chassis cannot be split and the board is hardwired to something on the outside of every single side of the chassis besides the bottom. I need to know how to separate the main board from the chassis.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 9
The people at little-tube are anything but helpful. None of them have responded to me for two days.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomiccow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people at little-tube are anything but helpful. None of them have responded to me for two days.

Did you try to contact David on ebay?
eBay Seller: davidzhezhe: Electronics items on eBay.com

My little Dot 2++ failed and he took care of it for me. I shipped my amp to a USA address, not back to China. Within 10 days I had a replacement amp.
Unfortunately, I had to repair the replacement after a couple of months. The right channel became intermittent. I reversed the tubes, still the right channel. I ended up re-soldering everything since there was nothing obviously cold (I have 40 years of soldering experience), and that fixed the problem. I think Chinese amp manufacturers have QC issues.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by atomiccow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First time I've heard a negative about Little Dot service. But no response in two days over a weekend? Um, I don't work 24 hrs / day and through weekends, and I wouldn't expect him to either.

David has always been fast to answer my questions. I have a feeling he'll be all over getting this fixed for you shortly.

Oct 26, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 9
I've taken apart a MK III twice...it's far easier to do the second time around. The chassis and board is tight.....those resistors at the edge of the board need to be swapped out for 5W rated parts.

I don't know the values of the stock resistors, David will look after you so email him about it. That being said the procedure for wriggling that pcb out is very slow and painstaking...I used a butter knife to assist in removing the pcb from the MK III for a cap and resistor mod I completed in August last summer.

Peete.

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

First time I've heard a negative about Little Dot service. But no response in two days over a weekend? Um, I don't work 24 hrs / day and through weekends, and I wouldn't expect him to either.

Oh ya I didn't realize it was the weekend. I take back what I said about no one at Little-Tube being helpful. David has replied me by email.

Oct 27, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Indeed. I've had my MKIVSE apart a few times and I would not recommend that you tackle the project unless you are an experienced DIY'er. Far easier (and safer) to send to David.

FYI--The three resistors in question are one 150 ohm and two 180 ohm 5W.

Peace,

Lee

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've taken apart a MK III twice...it's far easier to do the second time around. The chassis and board is tight.....those resistors at the edge of the board need to be swapped out for 5W rated parts.

I don't know the values of the stock resistors, David will look after you so email him about it. That being said the procedure for wriggling that pcb out is very slow and painstaking...I used a butter knife to assist in removing the pcb from the MK III for a cap and resistor mod I completed in August last summer.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back